New Hard Disk For Desktop

rickthailand

I think one floor up from the ground floor, near the escalators near the front of the building. They may have two shops though, or may have moved; it's been a while since I was there.

I think you are talking about the ones next to the top of the escalators that go up from the office depot.

They used to be at the top of the escalators on the third floor over in the corner,

I recommend them also.

See if you can loiter around while they do it. It isn't difficult and if you see it done once next time you should be able to do it for yourself.

If you can loiter while they're doing it, they're doing it wrong. A proper install takes several hours. Not the new hard disk of course. 2 minutes. But the OS install?

Why is this in the Chiang Mai Forum ?

Because he's living in Chiang Mai and needs a harddrive there, and not in Buri Ram, Pattani or Bangkok or whatever?

Is there a Pantip (sic) Plaza in CM now ?

Yes, of course. http://g.co/maps/mab9t

Why the [sic] by the way? That's how they spell it themselves, as you can see on the big sign on their building in the link above.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

See if you can loiter around while they do it. It isn't difficult and if you see it done once next time you should be able to do it for yourself.

If you can loiter while they're doing it, they're doing it wrong. A proper install takes several hours. Not the new hard disk of course. 2 minutes. But the OS install?

The hard disk install is going to be the most daunting, so that's all you need to stick around for... installing windows is just inserting a disc and following the prompts, hardly rocket surgery.

The hard disk install is going to be the most daunting, so that's all you need to stick around for... installing windows is just inserting a disc and following the prompts, hardly rocket surgery.

It gets complicated with the drivers. Windows is terrible at finding drivers for you, you basically need to have the install discs for all your hardware handy during installation. If you don't have this then you need to go hunt it all down ahead of time. Even on very popular business laptops such as the Lenovo Thinkpad series, Windows is unable to find the right network driver.. and without a network driver, you're not going to be doing much downloading of the driver you need.

It's kind of ludicrous actually, given that other operating systems, like Ubuntu, figure all of this stuff out for you; there it's truly just sit back and read the info slides while it installs. (Actually the computer is usable *during* OS install, so you can even keep reading Thaivisa.)

Windows isn't there yet. And judging from the Windows 8 preview, it won't be there any time soon either.

It gets complicated with the drivers. Windows is terrible at finding drivers for you, you basically need to have the install discs for all your hardware handy during installation. If you don't have this then you need to go hunt it all down ahead of time. Even on very popular business laptops such as the Lenovo Thinkpad series, Windows is unable to find the right network driver.. and without a network driver, you're not going to be doing much downloading of the driver you need.

It's kind of ludicrous actually, given that other operating systems, like Ubuntu, figure all of this stuff out for you; there it's truly just sit back and read the info slides while it installs. (Actually the computer is usable *during* OS install, so you can even keep reading Thaivisa.)

Windows isn't there yet. And judging from the Windows 8 preview, it won't be there any time soon either.

I can agree with laptop drivers being a pita to sort out, but seems like this is a desktop computer. I am no computer tech, but I have assembled a few in my time for myself and friends and have never hit any major driver snags doing windows installs on desktop computers.

Unfortunately windows cemented itself rather early on as the 'default' or 'go to' OS, and even though there are better options people are so comfortable with windows, and it is so widely used that they are loathe to change :(

I just think it is important to learn some of this for yourself, saves having to go to a shop all the time... its not so much the money it costs, it is just a hassle lugging a PC around.

A new Hard Disk?

I thought the latest thing now is to use 128Gb memory systems.

Quote: The best thing to do that will also cost you some money is to replace your main hard disk with an SSD. This will radically cut your boot time, but it does cost some. Although the price of fast 128GB SSD's has come down. You can have a smaller SSD for C: drive, and a larger hard disk (maybe your old C: drive *smile*) as a secondary data drive, and this will really speed things up. It is fairly easy to do this using software like "Paragon Migrate OS to SSD".

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19411_102-561918/how-can-i-make-my-windows-7-machines-boot-up-quickly/?tag=nl.e497

I'm no computer geek, but I'll be looking at this next time around.