Visa For Baby Born In Thailand

Both parents are British - father on a B visa and mother on an O.

Baby was born in Thailand and has just got British passport.

Suan Plu immigration say that baby does not need a visa - she can just leave the country without one.

The question: Is it possible to get a three month O visa for the baby in Thailand? Otherwise the baby will not be able to come back into the country unless we go back to UK and get an O visa from there....

I have read previously that a child can enter Thailand on a 30-day stamp, and overstay this period (w/o penalty) until the age of 7 years. After the child is 7 y.o. or older, then a visa would be required for lengthy stays.

To summarize, your baby child does not need the "O" visa at this time.

I have read previously that a child can enter Thailand on a 30-day stamp, and overstay this period (w/o penalty) until the age of 7 years.  After the child is 7 y.o. or older, then a visa would be required for lengthy stays.

Thanks Gumballl - can anyone else confirm this?

I have read previously that a child can enter Thailand on a 30-day stamp, and overstay this period (w/o penalty) until the age of 7 years.  After the child is 7 y.o. or older, then a visa would be required for lengthy stays.

Thanks Gumballl - can anyone else confirm this?

Check out this previous post on TV...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=29395

Edited by Gumballl

To answer your question, No, you cannot get a Thai visa in Thailand, all visa's have to be obtained outside the country, although it doesn't have to be obtained in you home country.

In response to Gumballs reply, the answer is that "Technically" all foreigners have to have a valid visa (or be visa exempt) when in Thailand, there are no waiver's due to a persons age. Due to your child being born in Thailand, then currently the child is visa exempt, this will continue (I believe upto 2 years of age) unless the child leaves the country, after which they are "Technically" under the same obligations to obtain a visa as anyone else.

That being said, Immigration are exceptionally good with children, they are free of any overstay fines until they are 14 years of age.

Thanks chaps.

My plan then is take her out the country with us on the next visa run and then when we re-enter she would be on a 30 day tourist.

We would then do another run after three months at which point the baby's visa would be overdue. If what has been posted above is correct there should be no problem leaving thailand. I will post if the situation turns out to be otherwise.

Thanks chaps.

My plan then is take her out the country with us on the next visa run and then when we re-enter she would be on a 30 day tourist.

We would then do another run after three months at which point the baby's visa would be overdue. If what has been posted above is correct there should be no problem leaving thailand. I will post if the situation turns out to be otherwise.

No, if you can leave the bubs in Thailand then you should do so, as there is no reason you need to take the baby on a long and tiring trip. The baby doesn't need to accompany you on the visa run. It can be born here and stay up until 7 years of age with no problem. Hypothically, if your child only ever leaves Thailand at 7 years of age for the first time, they will be stamped out with a minimum of fuss.

Thanks chaps.

No, if you can leave the bubs in Thailand then you should do so, as there is no reason you need to take the baby on a long and tiring trip. The baby doesn't need to accompany you on the visa run. It can be born here and stay up until 7 years of age with no problem. Hypothically, if your child only ever leaves Thailand at 7 years of age for the first time, they will be stamped out with a minimum of fuss.

I hear what you are saying. Indeed if we decide just to do a day trip to the border that will be the case but we often go away to HK or Singapore for a few days.

I was under the impression that any child born in Thailand to a Thai mother was automatically a Thai citizen, not a foreigner, regardless of dual citizenship in the father's native country. Therefore he should not need any visa to (re)enter Thailand. Is this not the case?

EDIT in: My bad, I just noticed the OP said both parents are British. That would change things regarding the child's nationality. Never miiiiind....

Edited by jing jing

Several posters have replied that the child does not need a visa until he/she is 7 years old. We were told that our son, who was born here too, would not need a visa until he was 15. We had left the country several times and when we returned our son was given 30 days which we just left expire. He has a US passport but now that he has turned 15 we got him a Thai passport and ID so we dont have to worry about the visa.