Price Of Pickles!

nocturn

I generally accept prices for what they are here, especially when it is an imported item, so for the last 2 years or so i have happily snapped up the larg claussen dill spears whenever they appear in the firdge at my local villa.

It has been a while since i have seen them, so today wheni saw them in the deli case near the cheese, i reached out to grab a couple jars.

To my suprise, the price has gone from 400 something, to, wait for it, 635 Baht. Over 200 baht more expensive than just after xmas when i last saw them.

Shock, awe. Ill stick with Vlassic.

Not sure if you're in Bangkok or not, but at the Villa on Soi 33 Sukhumvit, they have two brands of dill pickles made locally. One is house brand by Villa Gourmet (less tasty), and the other Rancho Texas. Both brands are 90 baht for a large bottle of nice dills. I always stock up, esp. on the Rancho brand.

nope, on 11, i have tried so many brands of thai made pickles. Generally, i bring em home, open the bottle take a bite and put the whole thing in the garbage.

one lives in hope though, thanks

Yeah, the caviar prices are just shocking too.

come off it already. We are talking about <deleted> pickles, not beluga caviar.

I have made it clear that 2 short months ago the price was 400 baht. Now it is 635 baht. For a sub 6 USD jar of pickles.

I have been here so long that i rarely question the prices, because i have no real comparison, but even i am aware that 635 baht is steep.

Lumpfish caviar is actually cheaper than that at Villa.

but, all i really want to know is where did the extra 200+ baht come from?

Edited by nocturn

Yeah, the caviar prices are just shocking too.

come off it already. We are talking about <deleted> pickles, not beluga caviar.

I have made it clear that 2 short months ago the price was 400 baht. Now it is 635 baht. For a sub 6 USD jar of pickles.

I have been here so long that i rarely question the prices, because i have no real comparison, but even i am aware that 635 baht is steep.

Lumpfish caviar is actually cheaper than that at Villa.

World wide pickle shortage?

I agree with Samran, though less tongue-in-cheek. As I mentioned, there are two brands of locally-made dill pickles, (most likely originated by farangs resident in Thailand), the best of which is Rancho Texas, for a large jar - 90 Baht. Paying 600 baht (or eve 400) for an international brand, though admittedly much better, is absurd if you have to complain about the price.

We have taken the precaution of introducing a good friend (who just cooks non-stop) to the concept of pickling. At present we have her pickling quail's eggs and cucumbers. I have a great recipe for flavouring the vinegar so you don't even need to have the greatest vinegar to get good results. If people are interested then I will put up the pickle recipe (but remember, at perfection, it will be a 6 month wait!).

Either the retailer or a middleman maximising their profits.

The number of people here that fussy about their pickles is probably very small.

At that rate make sure you fill up your suitcase next time you come - but wrap them carefully!

I have made it clear that 2 short months ago the price was 400 baht. Now it is 635 baht. For a sub 6 USD jar of pickles

Not sure when you celebrate xmas, but it was surely more than "2 short months" ago. Anyway, maybe there has been a shortage of cucumbers or maybe it's a slow moving article. Thailand is notorious for hiking up prices when times are slow. Maybe you could ask the manager of the store in question?

the price hasn't gone up. you just think it has.

that seems to be the answer this week. have you tried the local small markets. the wife can buy 10 kilos of pickled anything including pickled fruit and veg for 360 baht. very nice. she sells it in her shop. the thais like it a lot. its pickled using salt not vinegar. i suppose if i ask her maybe she could post some to you if you want. wai.gif

I still find the prices for regular canned baked beans (Heinz) amazing as well.

Baked beans are about as easy to make as pickles except you need an oven or slow cooker. Not much work for either one.

"Do what I do make it yourself it very easy and also very good"

Exactly, so do I, simple, easy and cheap.

I also make my own bread, yogurt, ham, cheese, pickles and sauerkraut.................... easy.

PM me if you are interested but otherwise it's all on the internet via Google.

Other search engines are available.

Are pickles and ghurkins the same thing?

Ghurkins are pickled cucumbers.

Dill is a herb that is often added to the vinegar to flavour the ghurkins.

Pickles can be onion, courgette, capsicum, cauliflower, carrot, cucumber, beetroot, limes, etc (usually cured in salt then preserved in vinegar).

Pickles can be onion, courgette, capsicum, cauliflower, carrot, cucumber, beetroot, limes, etc (usually cured in salt then preserved in vinegar).

Pickles are principally eggs or onions, that you would find in a jar in the chippie on the way home from the pub.

Its our way of telling the wife we've had so much, we think we need something more foul to mask our breath.

I was about 20 - maybe older, when I discovered I didn't like beetroot, it was the vinegar I liked.

SC

Edit: typo corrected

Edited by StreetCowboy

Pickles are principally eggs or onions, that you would find in a jar in the chippie on the way home from the pub.

Its our way of telling the wife we've had so much, we think we need something more foul to mask our breath.

I was about 20 - maybe older, when I discovered I didn't like beetroor, it was the vinegar I liked.

SC

I forgot about pickled eggs. They came in huge jars, placed on the top of the counter in our chip shop. I honestly believe that the same jar of pickled eggs was on the counter of my local chippie from 1969 (when I was old enough to be sent on errands to the chippie) until the establishment closed down and became a Chinese take-away in 1995.

Beetroot is my favourite pickle, but a bit scary the first time you pee bright red the next morning.

I was about 20 - maybe older, when I discovered I didn't like beetroor, it was the vinegar I liked.

SC

I forgot about pickled eggs. They came in huge jars, placed on the top of the counter in our chip shop. I honestly believe that the same jar of pickled eggs was on the counter of my local chippie from 1969 (when I was old enough to be sent on errands to the chippie) until the establishment closed down and became a Chinese take-away in 1995.

Beetroot is my favourite pickle, but a bit scary the first time you pee bright red the next morning.

Beetroot is so romantic

"I'll betroot to you..." (sung)

I like a pickled herring as well; its the highlight of any trip to IKEA, picking up a jar on the way out

SC

I agree with Samran, though less tongue-in-cheek. As I mentioned, there are two brands of locally-made dill pickles, (most likely originated by farangs resident in Thailand), the best of which is Rancho Texas, for a large jar - 90 Baht. Paying 600 baht (or eve 400) for an international brand, though admittedly much better, is absurd if you have to complain about the price.

at 400, i did not complain. At 635, i did not buy. It really is that simple.

And while I will look for Rancho brand, no amount of savings is justified if i dont like the darn things. Foodland used to have a big jar you could buy real khosher dills by the piece, wrapped in butcher paper, and they were great, but that was years ago and they are no longer.

As for the guy who makes everything, well, power to ya buddy, but i simply don't have the time or the inclination.

I have made it clear that 2 short months ago the price was 400 baht. Now it is 635 baht. For a sub 6 USD jar of pickles

Not sure when you celebrate xmas, but it was surely more than "2 short months" ago. Anyway, maybe there has been a shortage of cucumbers or maybe it's a slow moving article. Thailand is notorious for hiking up prices when times are slow. Maybe you could ask the manager of the store in question?

yes, lets ignore the point entirely and bicker about the timeline.

I like a pickled herring as well; its the highlight of any trip to IKEA, picking up a jar on the way out

SC

How much is a jar of pickled herring at IKEA? I love them and didn't realize they had em. Makes sense of course now that I think of it

I was about 20 - maybe older, when I discovered I didn't like beetroot, it was the vinegar I liked.

SC

Edit: typo corrected

Don't waste the brine.

post-123755-0-61141700-1336693655_thumb.