Nahm At The Metropolitian

chaiyapoon

Haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else in the forums.

Nahm has made it in at no.50 in the top 100 restaurants in the world. This is likely due to the prominence of headchef and patron David Thompson who has done wonders with presentation and favour combinations.He has had some wonderful reviews since opening and doing this with Thai food is a first.

Shame that its taken a farang to show the Thais how to do it,but this should raise the bar and lift standards.No other Thai restaurants listed in the top 100.

It's irrelevant. A foreigner making overpriced pretentious food in an overpriced pretentious hotel for overpayed pretentious customers. It might taste fine, but I bet it doesn't even satisfy hunger. SOOOO many little Thai restaurants that should be making the awards.

I'm struggling to see the OP's point.

That it takes a foreigner to teach this nation how to cook their own food.

It might be that is what the OP is implying. If so, as chiang mai said above, the OP is seriously misguided.

All that can be truly inferred is that he's pointing out that it takes a farang to ("do it") get onto the Pellegrino & Panna's "The World's 50 Best Restaurants" list.

http://www.theworlds50best.com/

I was hoping that the OP would respond to my question to clarify.

Edited by prophet01

Unfortunately, the OP has a point. Many of the best Thai restaurants in Bangkok are indeed run by foreigners, making traditional and sometimes very innovative Thai food. There are lots of Thai good restaurants run by Thais in Thailand, but very few can be called innovative, and an increasing number of them are degrading rather than developing the Thai kitchen, by excessive use of sugar, MSG and other second rate ingredients.

The food at Nahm is really an experience out of the ordinary, but it's indeed very expensive (the standard menu, I don't remember how many courses, is at the moment 1,700 baht++). Still, it's fully booked more or less every single night, and many of the guests are Thais.

I'm sure the OP does have a point, but I'd still like him/her to clarify what that point is.

You say many of the best restaurants in Bangkok are run by foreigners...

Depends on the criteria you use to define best however, regardless, your statement automatically implies that the remainder (whether the majority or the minority) of the best restaurants in Bangkok aren't run by foreigners.

Edited by prophet01

Unfortunately, the OP has a point. Many of the best Thai restaurants in Bangkok are indeed run by foreigners, making traditional and sometimes very innovative Thai food. There are lots of Thai good restaurants run by Thais in Thailand, but very few can be called innovative, and an increasing number of them are degrading rather than developing the Thai kitchen, by excessive use of sugar, MSG and other second rate ingredients.

The food at Nahm is really an experience out of the ordinary, but it's indeed very expensive (the standard menu, I don't remember how many courses, is at the moment 1,700 baht++). Still, it's fully booked more or less every single night, and many of the guests are Thais.

The food there may or may not be good, I don't know, but I do know that people go to such places, usually for the wrong reasons, to impress, to be seen, to say they have been, to name drop, to add prestige to their outings with friends, and so on, and so it is the world over. An old friend in the UK owed me lunch as a result of him loosing a bet with me so he took me to the Ivy in London, I'm a fairly decent judge of good food in fine eateries but my experience at the Ivy was lacking and the bill was far too steep for the experience.

Agree Nahm is very good

however, i fail to see how it manages to win so many awards & get onto so many "best" lists when BoLan (Suk 26) is (IMO) better, much easier to get to (for most people, I imagine) in a much more pleasant setting, & where the (farang again) chef used to work for DT, never seems to get a mention anywhere.....

Okay I totally understand some of the comments here and I reckon that there are hundreds of Thai owned and run restaurants that are on the same level as nahm.

We should all recommend our personal favourites and let others enjoy the food that we have been luckily enough to sample, not only in Bangers but also all over Thailand.

I will recommend both the Bangkok Seaview Restaurant and Baan Kanita. We also recently discovered a fantastic seafood restaurant on the river near the Thai Ministry of Commerce.

how do you even find out about these places? magazines? blogs? word of mouth. i have driven through suk 26 a million times and never even seen the restaurant mentioned here nor do i know where is the Metropolitan?

BoLan is down a small soi which runs next to the 4 wings hotel - approx 1/2 way up soi 26, there is a small sign for it on the main soi, but u don't see the restaurant till u turn off....