Tax Question, Married Filling With Thai Wife

this is not a visa question but not sure where else to post.

if i take my thai wife to the US, can i file my US tax as married filing jointly even through she doesn't have a social security number?

i suspect the answer is no, so the next question is, how would she get a US SSID without full on imigration? we are not planning to stay there. i just want to work for a couple of months. (I'm US citizen)

thanks

She will need an ITIN (individual taxpayer identification number) and it does not matter where she lives - you will still be able to use that to file joint returns even if you live elsewhere and she does not even have to be in the US to obtain that. You include the application form with your tax return under the new rules HERE.

Believe you will also have to include a signed note that spouse agrees to have income subject to US tax with your first return with a foreign national spouse so look that up also.

She will need an ITIN (individual taxpayer identification number) and it does not matter where she lives - you will still be able to use that to file joint returns even if you live elsewhere and she does not even have to be in the US to obtain that.  You include the application form with your tax return under the new rules HERE.

Believe you will also have to include a signed note that spouse agrees to have income subject to US tax with your first return with a foreign national spouse so look that up also.

great, thanks for the info. should save me a few tax $s

It's funny how some of recent posts here on TV mirror the stuff I had just gone thru.

I just recently applied for an ITIN using the IRS W-7 form. Filled out everything on the form using the electronic version of the form, had my Thai wife sign it, and then submitted it to the IRS office in PA. I included with the W-7 my wife's Thai passport, and nothing else.

About 3 weeks later, her passport was returned to my residence here in the states, and on the same day, another letter came with the ITIN.

I was surprised to receive the ITIN, because if you read the instructions with the W-7, it does say that the application must be accompanied with a completed tax form (i.e. the 1040). I apparently neglected to read these instructions carefully, nevertheless my wife was issued an ITIN. Maybe I was lucky.

Edited by Gumballl

It's funny how some of recent posts here on TV mirror the stuff I had just gone thru.

I just recently applied for an ITIN using the IRS W-7 form.  Filled out everything on the form using the electronic version of the form, had my Thai wife sign it, and then submitted it to the IRS office in PA.  I included with the W-7 my wife's Thai passport, and nothing else.

About 3 weeks later, her passport was returned to my residence here in the states, and on the same day, another letter came with the ITIN.

I was surprised to receive the ITIN, because if you read the instructions with the W-7, it does say that the application must be accompanied with a completed tax form (i.e. the 1040).  I apparently neglected to read these instructions carefully, nevertheless my wife was issued an ITIN.  Maybe I was lucky.

I assume you checked box E and were required to file a return with it. Guess bureacracy helps sometimes.

I do know that it's very easy to get a business or partnership Tax ID online and you get it right then. I think from their viewpoint, if anyone wants to make it easier to collect taxes, they'll give you the number. Wish other things were that easy.