Mucophagy

Abandon

Most do it, but in private. Thai's do it unashamed in public. Mucophagy.

Mucophagy (literally mucus-eating, also referred to as picking one's nose and eating it) is the consumption of the nasal mucus, boogers, and other detritus obtained from nose-picking.

Some research suggests that mucophagy may be a natural and even healthy activity, which exposes the digestive system to bacteria accumulated in the mucus, thereby helping to strengthen the immune system.

Well, in theory, you will get a better exposure if you eat someone else's ....

AHHH H*LL!!!! And I was just about to eat dinner.. :o And I don't believe for a second that Thai's or anyone else for that matter eat their snot to strengthen their immune system. But wow, what an added bonus for them. I do see it everyday though, but I'm still not used to it.

Maybe they're just looking for a tasty snack. LOL!

I've seen plenty of Thais walking around with a finger jammed in their beak digging out dirt clods like they were hoping to find a magical nugget of gold. I've never yet seen anyone dining on them though. Hopefully I never will. The most I've ever seen are those who dig deep and flick them. I make sure I'm well out of the way. What gets to me is seeing some pretty young thing rummaging around the nostrils and drag out a sticky one. Somehow they don't look so cute after that.

unbelievable aint it!

I nearly puked in big C the one day when i saw an old guy drag a huge blob from his nose and shove it in his gob.

Simply gross...and in my eye's a huge loss of face for any participant...no matter where they come from. :o

no, seriously ? :D

I mean - ADULTS do that too ? I know usually kids might - and not only in Thailand. but never seen or even thought that those grown up would do it - so discgusting ! :D ok - pick nose is nothing unsual, can see it everywhere - but eating that sh1t ....

this is not just in LOS. I used to have a gf in the PI that I had a hard time keeping her frickin finger out of her nose. :o

PKG

True, it's not just in LoS. So did your gf gobble the treats after dislodging them from the nose hair in her nostrils? I knew a guy who grossed out everyone he knew by his habit of picking at scabs and munching them like potato chips. Bleeech!

You can pick your friends

And you can pick your nose

But you can't pick your friend's nose

this is not just in LOS. I used to have a gf in the PI that I had a hard time keeping her frickin finger out of her nose. :o

PKG

True, it's not just in LoS. So did your gf gobble the treats after dislodging them from the nose hair in her nostrils? I knew a guy who grossed out everyone he knew by his habit of picking at scabs and munching them like potato chips. Bleeech!

Only if she thought nobody was watching. :D

Believe it or not, there was a study on nose-picking published in February of 1995 in the Journal of Psychiatry. The researchers prepared their "Rhinotillexomania Questionnaire" and randomly mailed it to 1000 residents in Dane County, Wisconsin.

Of the 1000 surveys mailed out, only 254 were completed and returned to the researchers.

* 8.7% claim that they have never picked their nose.  (In other words, they are liars or they can't remember doing it as a kid.)

* 91% stated that they had picked their nose in the past and were still actively practicing this habit.  Yet, only 49.2% of the respondents actually thought that nose-picking was common in adults.

* 9.2% rate their pickin' as "more than average."

* 25.6% actually pick their noses daily, 22.3% do it 2 to 5 times each day, and three people admitted to doing it at least hourly.

* 55.5% spent 1-5 minutes, 23.5% spent 5-15 minutes, and 0.8% (2 people) spent 15-30 minutes each day cleaning their nostrils. One lone soul claims to devote over 2 hours each day to this ritual (I'm not a doctor and I can tell you that this guy definitely has rhinotillexomania).

* 18% reported nosebleeds, while 0.8% claimed perforation of the nasal septum from their nose-picking.

* 82.8% had picked their noses to "unclog the nasal passages", 66.4% had done it to relieve discomfort or itchiness, 35.7% to avoid the unsightly appearance of a booger hanging from their nose, 34.0% for personal hygiene, and 17.2% picked out of habit.  2.1% (five people) claimed to pick solely for enjoyment.  To no one's surprise, one perverted person picked his/her nose for "sexual stimulation."

* 65.1% use their index finger, 20.2% use their pinky, and 16.4% use their thumb (must have BIG nostrils to fit a thumb in) as their instrument of choice.

* Most people (90.3%) disposed of the goop in a tissue or a handkerchief, while 28.6% used the floor, and 7.6% stuck it to the furniture.

* 8% of the respondents actually ate the end product.  In case you are thinking of trying this delicacy, the study claims that the pickings are quite tasty (salty).

So, what have we learned from this groundbreaking study?

First, we now have positive proof that picking one's nose is almost a universally practiced custom, although most won't admit to it.

Second, boogers apparently taste good, although I can guarantee to you that I will never do the taste testing to find out.

Now we know - YOU ARE ALL AT IT !

I see nothing wrong with a private pick ...

Maybe they're just looking for a tasty snack. LOL!

I've seen plenty of Thais walking around with a finger jammed in their beak digging out dirt clods like they were hoping to find a magical nugget of gold. I've never yet seen anyone dining on them though. Hopefully I never will. The most I've ever seen are those who dig deep and flick them. I make sure I'm well out of the way. What gets to me is seeing some pretty young thing rummaging around the nostrils and drag out a sticky one. Somehow they don't look so cute after that.

:o:D

After reading this I couldn't stop laughing for a second :D

this is not just in LOS. I used to have a gf in the PI that I had a hard time keeping her frickin finger out of her nose. :D

PKG

:o:D

Please stop posting, my stomach hurts. You have this knack of posting such digusting acts and making it funny. You

are absoulutely sick :D

I get told off for picking my nose by the wife. I dont do it in public but I do do it in front of her and show her what I find  :o  :D  :D

Why don't you save up all those nose goblins for a few months and use them to design a heart or something? Then present the masterpiece to her as... um... a unique gift. I'm sure she'd appreciate it.

I get told off for picking my nose by the wife. I dont do it in public but I do do it in front of her and show her what I find  :o  :D  :D

Why don't you save up all those nose goblins for a few months and use them to design a heart or something? Then present the masterpiece to her as... um... a unique gift. I'm sure she'd appreciate it.

No I dont think she would as I have saved up a big fart in the past and presented it to her and she didnt appreciate it at all

I dont know @#$% wemon are so hard to please :D

No I dont think she would as I have saved up a big fart in the past and presented it to her and she didnt appreciate it at all

Showing the girl your bugars is like showing a virgin your penis for the first time. They're shy and scared at first. After you rub it on her a few times, they can't get enough. Next thing you know, they're pickin not only your nose for you, but your ear wax, and pimples too! :D:D:D

Showing the girl your bugars is like showing a virgin your penis for the first time. They're shy and scared at first. After you rub it on her a few times, they can't get enough. Next thing you know, they're pickin not only your nose for you, but your ear wax, and pimples too! :D:D:D

:D Isn't that the truth. I asked my wife to scratch my back and she end-up pulling out my whitehair, pick my pimple, and ignored the scratching.

If I ever catch my wife playing with her boogers, we'll need to get some counseling because thats too much trauma for 1 man to endure :D

• 8 months later...

I just can't get my head around this nose picking thing in public and acutally eating it. And this old bugger was not insane it was just something he did naturally. That this is common practice in Thailand! How clean are these people? Do they wash their hands during the day? How can you sit down in one of their restaurants and eat their food?

I was planning to take a trip to Thailand for 1 or 2 years, but now Colombia is looking much better. People there usully take showers two times a day. They dress well and are very contientious about how they look. Goodbye Thailand hello South America.

Funny, they fnd it rude for a Farang to wear shorts in the city but they can stand there in front of you and pick their nose AND EAT THE CRAP! Call it what you will, but I find it very low class. Sorry for my comments, I do not want to come off like I want to start some arguement here. It is just my opinion and how I feel about this filthy habit the Thais have.

:D:o:D:D:D:D

Thais shower AT LEAST twice a day, and try their best to look "riyap roi" - nice, polite, and smart at all times. I once heard that they consume more soap per capita than any other nation.

I've never noticed anything like described in this thread myself.

• 2 weeks later...
But as the wetness that comes out of a womans vagina is also technically called mucas, surely a lot more people than we think actually do it. :D:o:D

"Is that a post operative mucosal graft, or are you just happy to see me?"

Hey! There's a mucous membrane lining the cheek, so I guess everyone's eating this stuff all day long and didn't even know it.

• 2 weeks later...

I love to have a good dig, expecially in the morning when there are rich picking following A night of snoring.

A good appetiser before breakfast, the gooey ones can stick to your teeth tho so best to eat before brushing teeth :o

Are there any health implications to sniffing your fingers for signs of vinegrette odours after rubbing your 'biffin bridge'?

:D