Thailand Needs Cricket

Well the drawers are empty, just saving one last photo that appealed to me when I first saw it.

post-104736-0-94589400-1341193732_thumb.

I hope you enjoy it.

Time for me to also find that sunset ...

It is a nice image, no need for a declaration just yet...

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

KJ? Where are you? Get your pads on...

Here we are Boss. Back at the crease, now.....smile.png

Been very quite. Too much cricket elsewhere.......whistling.gif

Have to teach the team to keep their minds on the job.....ermm.gif

I would also say, more generally, that white is a good colour to wear when exposed to sunlight. As discussed earlier in the thread, discovery of this (as well learning the importance of taking on liquids regularly during the drinks breaks) should help the Thai people to overcome their (vampire like) fear of the sun.

Main problem I see with white here is that everyone will think that they are people at a temple. Or ghosts. I know some can make a religion of cricket but we must take local sensitivities into account or it will limit the number of cheerleaders coming forward for the Thailand needs Cricket (two knees) Cheerleaders team.

Team colors will have to be the colors of the rainbow. That way, no disappearing to the temple re ghosts in white.

Anyway, I'm sure the cheer leaders will look better in colors than all white.

I would also say, more generally, that white is a good colour to wear when exposed to sunlight. As discussed earlier in the thread, discovery of this (as well learning the importance of taking on liquids regularly during the drinks breaks) should help the Thai people to overcome their (vampire like) fear of the sun.

Main problem I see with white here is that everyone will think that they are people at a temple. Or ghosts. I know some can make a religion of cricket but we must take local sensitivities into account or it will limit the number of cheerleaders coming forward for the Thailand needs Cricket (two knees) Cheerleaders team.

Team colors will have to be the colors of the rainbow. That way, no disappearing to the temple re ghosts in white.

What do you want them to wear?

do you really need to ask that? smile.pngsmile.pngwhistling.gif

We could say, nothing, but that could cause more problems re the ghosts

as Thais all want white skin.

As everyone has been following the ODI and taking note of how well the Aussies are doing......yeah..up the Aussies...

then I do believe that this puts the Aussie members of this team in good shape as to be able to

teach the other members of our team how to handle defeat.

And so "not loose face"

As everyone has been following the ODI and taking note of how well the Aussies are doing......yeah..up the Aussies...

then I do believe that this puts the Aussie members of this team in good shape as to be able to

And so "not loose face"

loose face or lose face?

... if the latter, I agree (as discussed earlier) bringing an end to the face culture is one of the key reasons that Thailand needs cricket

... if the former, I agree as a loose face may blow off in the wind, causing embarassment and loss of face (metaphorically and literally)

... maybe one (or more) of us could volunteer to help the cheerleaders with the sun lotion

And so "not loose face"

loose face or lose face?

... if the latter, I agree (as discussed earlier) bringing an end to the face culture is one of the key reasons that Thailand needs cricket

... if the former, I agree as a loose face may blow off in the wind, causing embarassment and loss of face (metaphorically and literally)

Sorry Boss

Too much on my mind re the ODI to notice oo or o but, yes, you do raise a good point there.

... maybe one (or more) of us could volunteer to help the cheerleaders with the sun lotion

Then we would need a good solid fence to separate the spectators from the cheer leaders who are having the sun lotion applied.

Maybe this Aussie could help

Edited by kevjohn

With an eye for detail, liking your new improved Avatar.

post-104736-0-59079500-1341348601_thumb..................post-104736-0-86304600-1341348565.jpg

Keeping your eye on the ball kevjohn ... thumbsup.gif

Better than trying to hit thin air......smile.png

If I hit the ball then I may add some runs.....wink.png

Edited by kevjohn

With an eye for detail, liking your new improved Avatar.

post-104736-0-59079500-1341348601_thumb..................post-104736-0-86304600-1341348565.jpg

Keeping your eye on the ball kevjohn ... thumbsup.gif

Added a personal touch.

Hope you like.

Cricket and other baffling British habits

I have spent two-thirds of my life in Britain, and am steeped in its ways. But some things here still leave me stumped

Hadley Freeman

The Guardian. Wednesday 4 July 2012

Last weekend, I went to the cricket. Are you laughing yet? Try reading it again but in an unshakable American accent, for that it is how it sounded coming out of my mouth. See? Crazy times.

It was, in fact, my second time going to a cricket match, having been taken last year to the Oval by a colleague on the Guardian's sports desk who simply could not believe I had somehow made it into my fourth decade without ever hearing the thwack of willow on leather. I might have known the cliches but I sure didn't know the rules and by the end of the first over I think my colleague was regretting his hospitality because later that week a column appeared under his byline about how annoying it is to bring Americans to cricket matches because they ask so many dam_n questions.

My friends who invited me along last week were wiser than the colleague because they knew they would not be lingering long with me on the sidelines, forced to endure my sparkling bons mots of the "Wait a minute, they just run back and forth?" ilk because they were actually playing in the game. This meant that I had nothing else to do for six hours on a Sunday afternoon in Shepperton but to sit silently and watch the adrenaline-surging match between the Authors Cricket Cluba revival of the team that originally included JM Barrie, PG Wodehouse and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, now expanded from its brief to include publishers, agents and a Downton Abbey inhabitant – and the Shepperton Ladies Cricket Club.

I learned, as you would expect, many things in those six hours, such as one should never judge a team's performance by the gentility of their name: those Shepperton Ladies are fearsome.

What I mainly learned, though, was that, contrary to my hopes, one cannot grasp the rules of cricket through osmosis. No, nor through flinty if squinty-eyed observation neither. So instead of talking knowledgably about wickets and stats, as I fully imagined myself doing by the fourth hour, the whole experience was somewhat akin to the (one) time I went to an opera: beautiful, to watch, rather elegant, to observe but utterly, utterly incomprehensible to me.

Despite what the stubbornly unshakable accent suggests, I have lived in this country for almost two-thirds of my life now and have recently moved back after a few years spent in my hometown of New York. It was during that time that I realised how British – well, English, really – I am now. I eat Marmite for breakfast, I can talk for hours about the weather and I am positively fluent in the language of self-deprecation (arguably too much so: one evening in New York a friend asked about my work, my personal life and a book I was working on. Naturally, like any good English person, I casually replied they were all a complete disaster. She phoned, her voice heavy with solicitous concern, the next day with the number for a therapist as she thought I was "clinically depressed".) However, there are certain things other than cricket rules that I suspect I will never understand.

A. Resentment of America

Now, on the one hand, of course I do understand this. The relationship between Britain and America, from Britain's perspective, has always reminded me of the one between Frasier Crane and his brother Niles: there's the big, brassy, embarrassing, famous and attention-seeking brother who hogs the spotlight, and then there's the smaller, sharper, more self-aware and overly self-conscious brother who is both scornful of his sibling's shallow fame but also faintly jealous of it and hides the latter beneath snarky jibes. Of course I get it: having lived in America and Britain I can see all too well how America's cheerful, unabashed tendencies towards arrogance, superficiality and shameless ambition grate against Britain's preference for self-effacement, awkwardness and grim failure. What I don't get is why folk in Britain bother getting wound up about it. Any hint of an American tradition coming to Britain – high-school proms, Daily Show-a-like nightly talkshow, will.i.am – and Radio 4 programmes and newspaper articles sprout up most self-righteously debating whether America is "taking over British culture". Come on, Britain, you're better than this. Make like Niles and take out your handkerchief, wipe away the germs and walk on past. It'll probably go away soon.

B. Happy tolerance of physical discomfort

Camping. Music festivals. Beach holidays. Britain, you don't have the climate for any of these things, as well you know, considering how much time you spend marvelling at your weather. Why do you insist on doing these things in such miserably inclement conditions? Have you never heard of making life easy on yourselves? Just give it up.

C. Certain elements of the pop culture

By and large, I probably do prefer British pop music to American but I'll never understand the weird British sentimentality for boring guitar rock (see: Paul Weller, Oasis, Kasabian, the Verve). I'm not saying American music doesn't have its problems (one word: Nickelback) but Chad Kroeger doesn't garner the unquestioning adulatory press that Weller does.

And, this is a side note, really, but what was with all the long TV show titles in the 1990s? Whose Line Is It Anyway?, Drop the Dead Donkey, Have I Got News For You? Was it to compensate for the paucity of your TV channels? I've always wondered that.

I'll leave the discussion to others, but to add my 20cents worth

If the poms want to do it their way, I say "Up to you"

If the yanks want to do it their way, I say "Up to you"

and if I want to do it my way then I will "Do it my way"

So, it is up to you, them or whoever.....Oh! and also me

The article reminds me of a couple of points we have discussed but should not forget.

Firstly, as she notes, an appreciation of the laws (and therefore the wonders) of cricket cannot be gained simply by osmosis. More generally this supports my view that introducing cricket to Thailand will require concerted action and will take many years. It needs to be introduced via the school systems and ideally with cricketing coaches from overseas. As I suggested earlier these could be ex-professionals (or even current players) but (unlike for many English language teachers in Thailand) I think some strict criteria should be applied for the recruitment process.

The second point that this article reminds me about, and that I have mentioned several times in this thread, is that America is a lost cause.

The article reminds me of a couple of points we have discussed but should not forget.

Firstly, as she notes, an appreciation of the laws (and therefore the wonders) of cricket cannot be gained simply by osmosis. More generally this supports my view that introducing cricket to Thailand will require concerted action and will take many years. It needs to be introduced via the school systems and ideally with cricketing coaches from overseas. As I suggested earlier these could be ex-professionals (or even current players) but (unlike for many English language teachers in Thailand) I think some strict criteria should be applied for the recruitment process.

The second point that this article reminds me about, and that I have mentioned several times in this thread, is that America is a lost cause.

But in Thailand Laws are just Guidelines.

Even the law of gravity is only a guideline here.

Hey Boss, if your going to make statements like you have made in the last sentence, I hope you have your hard hat on.

Hey Boss, if your going to make statements like you have made in the last sentence, I hope you have your hard hat on.

I would be looking at the sky for a drone disguised as a cricket ball if I was him.

But in Thailand Laws are just Guidelines.

Even the law of gravity is only a guideline here.

Harrry, as our medicine man, I hope you don't treat the laws of medicine as guidelines. I'd hate to lose me head instead of a hand.

You know, near enough is good enough.

I would be looking at the sky for a drone disguised as a cricket ball if I was him.

You think the Boss should be looking out for something like this?

Edited by kevjohn

This talk of explosive cricket balls falling from the sky reminds me of an unusual (but effective) bowling technique I developed in the back garden, but never dared to bowl in a real match. I called it "The Bomb".

The aim of the delivery is to bowl the ball as high as possible but such that it lands on or just in front of the stumps. The key is that the surprise will lead to the batsman either playing a rash attempted slog or miss the ball completely.

As I said, I never bowled this in a match but I did often fantasise that I would achieve great cricketing success (at international level) with my unique trademark delivery. In reality, I did not... yet.

This talk of explosive cricket balls falling from the sky reminds me of an unusual (but effective) bowling technique I developed in the back garden, but never dared to bowl in a real match. I called it "The Bomb".

The aim of the delivery is to bowl the ball as high as possible but such that it lands on or just in front of the stumps. The key is that the surprise will lead to the batsman either playing a rash attempted slog or miss the ball completely.

As I said, I never bowled this in a match but I did often fantasise that I would achieve great cricketing success (at international level) with my unique trademark delivery. In reality, I did not... yet.

Re your last sentence....

Please tell me....WHY?

Topic of discussion

where would you rather be

herepost-64834-0-92021700-1341450431_thumb.jpgorpost-64834-0-09412100-1341450581_thumb.jpg

I'll go to the one where the "Thailand Needs Cricket" team is playing.

If they play at both then I will attend the two.

You will have to join me harrry, to look after me two knees.

KJ ... considering the amount of time that your Avatar bat is getting in 'Air Time' ... I'm surprised that you haven’t got a Sponsors Logo on it yet?

Sponsors won't put their logo on me bat because they don't want to see it damaged from all the balls that I hit....sad.png

KJ

Edited by kevjohn