Just let me know, when you want me to give the next one, Boss....clap2.gif

Edited by kevjohn

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If I can just make one comment re you saying that you agree with brit1984.......in Aus, if you want to get on and climb the Corporate ladder, that is the number one rule.......always agree with the Boss.wink.png

Number one rule world wide...except for some modern thinking European countries. thumbsup.gif

Yes, always agree with the boss until you rise beside him, then undermine him and become the new boss

By the way, I am talking about the corporate world, not this thread

I can attest to this fact.

I am my own boss and I always agree with myself.

I also frequently undermine myself

Hey....what a great idear that pep talk was....boom........bang.....20+ runs

I just realised what your new Avatar was kevjohn. very good...laugh.png

Smart Boy Man...thumbsup.gif

Edited by kevjohn

Just call me 'Sunshine' laugh.png

Sorry for my absence but Mrs Ploppy has kept me quite busy lately. However, today's chores got me thinking about you all on here.

It has been quite stormy here recently and I was tasked with sweeping up around the huts and along the blocked water drainage trenches and was handed one of those Thai witches broom sticks..y'know the ones I mean...oft seen in Tom and Jerry cartoons..Anyway it wasn't long before I started thinking of various cricket strokes to make my tasks more interesting..

1. Seperating needed plastic bottle tops from unwanted dry leaves...This is indeed a difficult stroke and needs only the lightest of touches from the bottom of the brush and the touch has to be very precise as you either end up with dry leaves amoungst your pile of bottle tops or you send the bottle tops spinning away for an easy catch..

2. Those stubborn wet leaves. This needs a much stronger stroke and because of the weight of the leaves you have to be committed to carry the stroke through otherwise one or two may sneak under the brush.

3. The lateral sweep. This can be done either side if you are skilled enough. The brush is held at 90 degrees to the body and a swift action can guarantee picking up maximum leaves in one shot.....

4. The water trench sweep..or as I call it the Geoffery Boycot sweep.This needs a stubborn, gritty, no frills sweep. If successfull everybody will ignore the fact that you haven't actually swept any leaves up but wonder how long you have been out there sweeping up.. This sweep is all about feet, knees and body position. The only way to shift the built up slurry in the trench is to get your back behind it man. Get those feet on good ground not on the slippery sides. Get those knees bent and brush upright and put your whole body into the stroke. There, thats it..slowly..inch by inch, hour by hour, day by day, slowly move that shit to the end and let your neighbour deal with the problem....

If I can just make one comment re you saying that you agree with brit1984.......in Aus, if you want to get on and climb the Corporate ladder, that is the number one rule.......always agree with the Boss.wink.png

Number one rule world wide...except for some modern thinking European countries. thumbsup.gif

Yes, always agree with the boss until you rise beside him, then undermine him and become the new boss

By the way, I am talking about the corporate world, not this thread

I do the same

But my wife is the boss

Or maybe my daughter

Not sure

But its not me

Just call me 'Sunshine' laugh.png

If only I had a "LIKE"...thumbsup.gif

I do the same

But my wife is the boss

Or maybe my daughter

Not sure

But its not me

But I am above the maid because I am allowed to eat lunch inside

Sorry for my absence but Mrs Ploppy has kept me quite busy lately. However, today's chores got me thinking about you all on here.

It has been quite stormy here recently and I was tasked with sweeping up around the huts and along the blocked water drainage trenches and was handed one of those Thai witches broom sticks..y'know the ones I mean...oft seen in Tom and Jerry cartoons..Anyway it wasn't long before I started thinking of various cricket strokes to make my tasks more interesting..

1. Seperating needed plastic bottle tops from unwanted dry leaves...This is indeed a difficult stroke and needs only the lightest of touches from the bottom of the brush and the touch has to be very precise as you either end up with dry leaves amoungst your pile of bottle tops or you send the bottle tops spinning away for an easy catch..

2. Those stubborn wet leaves. This needs a much stronger stroke and because of the weight of the leaves you have to be committed to carry the stroke through otherwise one or two may sneak under the brush.

3. The lateral sweep. This can be done either side if you are skilled enough. The brush is held at 90 degrees to the body and a swift action can guarantee picking up maximum leaves in one shot.....

4. The water trench sweep..or as I call it the Geoffery Boycot sweep.This needs a stubborn, gritty, no frills sweep. If successfull everybody will ignore the fact that you haven't actually swept any leaves up but wonder how long you have been out there sweeping up.. This sweep is all about feet, knees and body position. The only way to shift the built up slurry in the trench is to get your back behind it man. Get those feet on good ground not on the slippery sides. Get those knees bent and brush upright and put your whole body into the stroke. There, thats it..slowly..inch by inch, hour by hour, day by day, slowly move that shit to the end and let your neighbour deal with the problem....

Welcome back to the crease

Back on the promotion of the great game of Cricket to Thailand we do need to do something different to capture a wider audience.

post-104736-0-89346900-1338592871_thumb.

Now this has been used as part of the promotion of the game at a State level here in Australia and I was wondering if some you braver Team Members would do something similar so we could use the images in promotional footage?

Nominations are currently open ...

That's a grand picture of the groundsmen

SC

TV Cricket

Sometimes two knees are not enough

I noticed that you were having similar problems on another thread but good to hear

you were able to incorporate cricket into solving your problems.

Just hope the neighbour does the same.

Back on the promotion of the great game of Cricket to Thailand we do need to do something different to capture a wider audience.

Now this has been used as part of the promotion of the game at a State level here in Australia and I was wondering if some you braver Team Members would do something similar so we could use the images in promotional footage?

SC

TV Cricket

You could have some competition, but with that avatar, I don't think so...wink.png

SC

TV Cricket

SC ... Speaking of pictures ... that's a mighty grand new Avatar you have there.

post-104736-0-13330000-1338621396_thumb.

Quite some flair in the presentation.

I have a wee bit of skill in that area myself.

If you don't mind, I might try and tweak it for you.

OH ... Bookman ... noticing your new front 'cover' as well

post-104736-0-47646600-1338621486_thumb.

... or did you do that just so we could use the Cricketing term?

Edited by David48

I am so pleased that you made this post

Our (Thai) maid has been driving me crazy with her lazy wafts to the off side when batting

(when she is sweeping the car park with one of those funny broomsticks)

Today I made her watch me how to bat (sweep) properly

I started at the back of the yard on the right hand side and showed her a straight drive

I then took one small step backwards with both feet and demonstrated an identical straight drive

I repeated this process until I was was half-way across, before switching to be a left-hander

(this week, the ICC confirmed its approval for switch-hitting including the reverse sweep)

I then showed the maid my left-handed straight drive (admittedly it probably looked slightly awkward)

I then took two small steps forward and repeated the stroke

I then repeated this process until I reached the far-left side

Next, I took two small steps forward and repeated all of the above

I continued back and forth from one side to the other until all the leaves were at one end

I then sweeped the leaves into the dustpan with right-handed forward defensive shots

(note: I did not end up a lefty)

The car park was completely free of leaves

I then passed the bat (broomstick) to the maid and motioned to her to sweep the patio

She continued with her awful "fishing" outside off technique and missed many leaves

(in a real match she would have been caught off a nick to the slips)

Thailand Needs Cricket

<snip>

Now gentleman ... that is a quality post ... wai.gif

No false shots.

Gritty and determined yet showing flair and a touch of attacking skill when the opportunity presents itself.

If I was touring the West Indies ... he'd be in my starting 11, probably batting at #3 due to his ability to vary his style in case he was called in to be at the crease before the first drink break.

Maybe we have been watching a little to much of the shorter version of the game and that reflects in some of the posts.

We haven't got to nearly 1,500 without loss by playing 'tipsy run'

Just saying like ...

Please resume normal service now.

Batter up !

EDIT:- brit1984 ... we were posting at the same time.

Nice innings that ... wai.gif

Edited by David48

Our (Thai) maid has been driving me crazy with her lazy wafts to the off side when batting

I started at the back of the yard on the right hand side and showed her a straight drive

I then took one small step backwards with both feet and demonstrated an identical straight drive

I repeated this process until I was was half-way across, before switching to be a left-hander

(this week, the ICC confirmed its approval for switch-hitting including the reverse sweep)

I then showed the maid my left-handed straight drive (admittedly it probably looked slightly awkward)

I continued back and forth from one side to the other until all the leaves were at one end

I then sweeped the leaves into the dustpan with right-handed forward defensive shots

I then passed the bat (broomstick) to the maid and motioned to her to sweep the patio

She continued with her awful "fishing" outside off technique and missed many leaves

Thailand Needs Cricket

Boss...I have read and understand all that you have just put to paper except for one thing.

What is a "broomstick"

Thailand Needs Cricket

Boss...I have read and understand all that you have just put to paper except for one thing.

What is a "broomstick"

It is like a bat but for a maid

Thailand Needs Cricket

What is a "broomstick"

It is like a bat but for a maid

Witches use them too

^^ Not liking?

Because there was no Chup-a-Chup, I'd thought that you would approve.

Sooooooooo much work to get her legs to appear as almost 3D.

If you technology allows you to make it look 3D, does that mean you are able to move her legs?

If so, would others like to suggest any repositioning of her legs? I have no comment

My technology was written by cavemen ... so no chance of any movement.

They aren’t margarine knees

Will just have to close eyes and imagine!

^^ Not liking?

Because there was no Chup-a-Chup, I'd thought that you would approve.

Sooooooooo much work to get her legs to appear as almost 3D.

If you technology allows you to make it look 3D, does that mean you are able to move her legs?

If so, would others like to suggest any repositioning of her legs? I have no comment

My technology was written by cavemen ... so no chance of any movement.

They aren’t margarine knees

Will just have to close eyes and imagine!

Yeah That's what I have to do......actually...all I can do.

An impressive return as well!

An impressive return as well!

+1

It's diligence like this that changes a middle order batsman into a great opener. You are to be commended for seizing an opportunity in life's duller moments to improve your stroke play and provide an example to us all. I applaud you!

It would have been perseverance of such a nature that enabled Denis Compton to rise to the occasion when he scored 278 against Pakistan at Trent Bridge in 1954 - a match I remember well as, I expect, do most of you. Though Denis was not to be honoured by his peers by having a cricket bat named after him, (unlike the great Walter Hammond), history shows that he learned his stroke play when sweeping his father's yard. It was noted of him that "he exhibited an untutored artistry on an exalted level that had to be seen to be believed". I'm sure we'd all agree with that. It was also said "that his sweep, often played brazenly late, was his trademark, although he possessed a sublime cover drive and was an accomplished stroke player all around the wicket". So there's proof, (if proof were needed), that your witches broom could take you to great heights sir.

As a complete aside, I thought the members might be interested to know that in November 1955 his right kneecap was surgically removed and placed in the Lord's museum where it resides to this day - a greatly revered relic which draws pilgrims from all over the cricketing world. Despite this surgery, Denis was able to play his final test against the Old Enemy the following year, scoring 94 and 35 not out.

your witches broom could take you to great heights sir.

I shall have to wear a parachute tomorrow then when I sweep around the house...

It's diligence like this that changes a middle order batsman into a great opener. You are to be commended for seizing an opportunity in life's duller moments to improve your stroke play and provide an example to us all. I applaud you!

It would have been perseverance of such a nature that enabled Denis Compton to rise to the occasion when he scored 278 against Pakistan at Trent Bridge in 1954 - a match I remember well as, I expect, do most of you. Though Denis was not to be honoured by his peers by having a cricket bat named after him, (unlike the great Walter Hammond), history shows that he learned his stroke play when sweeping his father's yard. It was noted of him that "he exhibited an untutored artistry on an exalted level that had to be seen to be believed". I'm sure we'd all agree with that. It was also said "that his sweep, often played brazenly late, was his trademark, although he possessed a sublime cover drive and was an accomplished stroke player all around the wicket". So there's proof, (if proof were needed), that your witches broom could take you to great heights sir.

As a complete aside, I thought the members might be interested to know that in November 1955 his right kneecap was surgically removed and placed in the Lord's museum where it resides to this day - a greatly revered relic which draws pilgrims from all over the cricketing world. Despite this surgery, Denis was able to play his final test against the Old Enemy the following year, scoring 94 and 35 not out.

Beautifully written

your witches broom could take you to great heights sir.

I shall have to wear a parachute tomorrow then when I sweep around the house...

No need for a parachute (unless you have really high ceilings)

Just get padded up and wear a helmet if you are worried

(and maybe a box if you scared of landing awkwardly)

Beautifully written

Great stuff.