What Do You Miss?

Lovesun

Hi All

I am making the move in a couple of weeks to Koh Samui..very excited.. however, I have lived on a small island before and I was just wondering if there is anything you expats miss, that you simply can't get there?

For example, on a small island in the caribbean, I couldn't get HP sauce. I went crazy every time someone cooked breakfast, knowing I was going to be brown sauce-less!!

I appreciate any tips on food, clothing or other stuff you could think I should stock up on before I come to your wonderful island..

Thanks in advance

PS(I know I can get HP at Tescos)

Edited by Lovesun

Hi All

I am making the move in a couple of weeks to Koh Samui.... However, I have lived on a small island before and I was just wondering if there is anything you expats miss, that you simply can't get there?

For example, on a small island in the carribean, I couldn't get HP sauce. I went crazy every time someone cooked breakfast, knowing I was going to be brown sauce-less!!

I appreciate any tips on food, clothing or other stuff you could think I should stock up on before I come to your wonderful island..

Thanks in advance

(I know I can get HP at Tescos)

think Samui's bad, try living on Ko Phangan, I have to go to samui for a decent loaf of bread!

as far as i can tell, samui has almost everything you can buy anywhere else in thailand, just about 10-30% more expensive

You can get most things here although consistency of supply can be a problem. TOPS in the night market area has many things that TESCO does not have although a little more expensive. The only thing I cannot find here which I miss is Colemans Mustard in bottles - you can get the powder but it's not the same. We even had Walkers Crisps in TESCO last week! Decent cheese is hard to find - lots of packaged stuff but again the problem is supply - TESCO were without cheese for three weeks before Christmas.

Lovesun, Tesco & Tops are not the only shops. There is a variety of smaller suppliers that stock items not found in the bigger ones.

They are generally restaurant & wholesale suppliers.You can even buy decent meat pies on the island.More & more bread shops are opening too, but for some you have to look hard as they are not on the main road.In the past 2-3 years you can just about buy anything you like,even Roo meat lmao.

Good luck.

There is a specialty shop in Chawang right off the main road on the way to the raggae pub that has a lot of cheese and yummy western food. There is also another place in Nathon, but I'm one of those people that drives by landmark and I couldn't really tell you how to get there except it is on a side street where a lot of resturant supply shops are.

Steve have you ever gone to Dew Shore Bakery!!! Yummy bread the baker has a schedule of what breads he bakes every week and you can call ahead. He make soft pretzels everyday. This is proper loaves of Rye, Wheat and Sour Dough.

He even does a 100% Rye. Dew Shore Bungalows in Ban Tai on the right hand side of the road on the way to Had Rin. Closer to Thongsala then say 7-11 in Ban Tai.

A-Roi Maak Jing Jing

Soi Colibri, just like the bird.

Good bakery's;

Angela's in Meanam

German Bakery in Maenam, opposite the Post Office, hidden amongst the new housing complex

Tom's Bakery ' Lamai near Bauhaus, road to the beach

The Continental Lamai, entrance of Lamai, coming from Chaweng

Besides good AND cheap cheese, about everything else is pretty much available.

More good cheese to be had next to the Continental in Lamai.

Steve have you ever gone to Dew Shore Bakery!!! Yummy bread the baker has a schedule of what breads he bakes every week and you can call ahead. He make soft pretzels everyday. This is proper loaves of Rye, Wheat and Sour Dough.

He even does a 100% Rye. Dew Shore Bungalows in Ban Tai on the right hand side of the road on the way to Had Rin. Closer to Thongsala then say 7-11 in Ban Tai.

A-Roi Maak Jing Jing

He is no longer baking bread, he's gone home now. He sold his equipment to the Schnitzel King guy in Thong Sala, I know he is baking for some bungalows, you could see if he sells out of his restaurant or if he will make to order.

San Pet supermarket in Nathon has a pretty good selection of stuff too, it is just on the way out of town, towards Immigration but where the road makes the one way turn towards the ocean, near the dentist and the Bon Cafe.

I miss peoples inability to understand the word "pavement" whenever they set foot in Lamai .... :D

Yep, I know what you mean :o Mind you most of the time its because there are no pavements.

I dont miss a thing here - I even found Walkers Salt and Vinegar crisps in Lotus the other day - Wow, the real thing as well, 24 baht a packet so I bought 5!!!!

I miss peoples inability to understand the word "pavement" whenever they set foot in Lamai .... :D

Yep, I know what you mean :o Mind you most of the time its because there are no pavements.

I dont miss a thing here - I even found Walkers Salt and Vinegar crisps in Lotus the other day - Wow, the real thing as well, 24 baht a packet so I bought 5!!!!

I got the other five packets!! and a Smokey Bacon. All that is left is Cheese and Onion!

Can't agree re the Indian Food comment in an earlier post. Noori on the Soi nearly opposite Poppies is pretty good.