High Season - Few Punters

h5n1

It seems to me that beer bars have always been a bad idea to drink in and an even worse idea to own. I used to feel sorry for the girls and punters moving into a beer bar that I had already seen fail _____ (you can fill in) times. The lastest, one squeezed between a half dozen bars (all 'for sale'). As the rest on the strip, not enough to pay the rent let alone anything else. It's really criminal what th elandowners charge for these dumps. More to the point, the ladies thatopen a bar and gamble their savings because they have no other options. Anyone that does simple math will know in five minutes - tyou cant make money on the bloody things.

But to my point - It appears that the punters have had enough. Open bars with raging competing music and indifferent girls that pay scant attention to you after the drink is purchased - guys are just looking for other options. Oh, did I mention that you could get a b55 Hene in most GOGO bars and free toilet, but a Hene in a beer bar with a bunch of chunky monkeys can cost you up to10% more! and heres a rub - another b5 every time you need to bleed the python! Now, it's ok for teh new guys, but after you've done that a few years - you learn the ropes. You learn where to find the girls without the mafia bar fines (last bb i was in, mama wtd b300 from my friend [230am!!] and we both drink (used to!) there often - for a very unspectacular woman i thought more of a pity <deleted> for him. Of course, she pays the girls B90-100 a day. No mind after her shift was over and work was done.

The old joke about the beauties ass in front of the TV and the punter asks her to move aside so he ccan see footie is a reality these days. Pattaya is awash with available women - but a final note.

The old saying - in Thailand youre a number but in Phils youre #1. The younger women are very money fixated and they really dont care about taking care of you. Most would rather go ST sure. My point is that (Bar owners listen up). When the girls become a bore - we can just all drink at the local drinks shop and nab an afternoon delight when it suits. You guys are finished.

I honestly think this is happening. Of course, it's nice to drink in the bars on beach road with a cool breeze. But if you're buying a shophouse off of Soi Bukhao, think again!

Finally,(I am sure this post will be deleted in short shrift or cursed outright): its 'bar selling season' which means ever bar/business hopes to snag starry eyed farangs with beer goggles and puxxy on his mind. No one sells a profitable business in Thailand - this is the expats dream.

Punters are tired of same old-same old. Same old bs from the girls, high prices for dubious envions.

Before you run off to a beer bar - you might want to start your night on walking street happy hours.

Finally: POST YOUR NON HAPPY HOUR PRICES FOR WHISKY, COCTAILS AND BEER. You might find more of us give a shot to your place.

Finally again: someone might try a reverse happy hour and advertise it.

Finally, Finally: shophouse rooms to rent for 7-10k monthly and 500+ a night?! well, maybe this week -but only this week - get a grip! Wonder why your place is empty 90mos a year? Duh.

Happy New Year

Hey ~

I was about to log off but saw a reply. Aside from the recent scuffle w/ my friend at a beer bar (bar fine at 300 after 2am) - his girlfriend has ruined the bar (how many times have you seen this [poor guy]) - I've never had a bad experience at a beer bar. Trouble is ..I've never really had a good one.

It's not that...I 'don't like them'. They are objectively a poor value.

each to the own mate.i think 35 baht singha all day is bloody good value, and the bars i drink at i find the girls and the service excellent.

maybe because they treat me as a friend and not a punter.

Hey ~

I was about to log off but saw a reply. Aside from the recent scuffle w/ my friend at a beer bar (bar fine at 300 after 2am) - his girlfriend has ruined the bar (how many times have you seen this [poor guy]) - I've never had a bad experience at a beer bar. Trouble is ..I've never really had a good one.

It's not that...I 'don't like them'. They are objectively a poor value.

Why has his girlfriend ruined the bar?

How many times have we seen what?

Why did you have a scuffle and mention barfine 300bht if she was your girlfriend.

:o

What a very strange post. Drunk I should imagine.

Old chestnut but here we go.

There are actually very few GOOD bars in Pattaya, and the ones that are make a lot of money and there is room for more either by creating a new bar or taking over an existing business.

What you need:

1. Someone who knows what they are doing and that means someone with experience in the trade.

2. Not let a Thai anywhere near anything that can remotely be described as management and especially not your girlfriend/wife.

3. Be on the premises at all times, the moment you leave it goes tits up.

4. Be capable of herding cats, or in this case Thai employees.

Some can do it, most can't.

I have lost count of the number of times I have dropped in to some bar to find LOUD Thai music blaring out, the staff huddled around a bottle of San Song and ignoring me as I walk in hoping I will just turn around and leave, which I do. When the falangs away the Thais play.

What a very strange post.  Drunk I should imagine.

There are actually very few GOOD bars in Pattaya, and the ones that are make a lot of money and there is room for more either by creating a new bar or taking over an existing business.

What you need:

1.  Someone who knows what they are doing and that means someone with experience in the trade.

2.  Not let a Thai anywhere near anything that can remotely be described as management and especially not your girlfriend/wife.

3.  Be on the premises at all times, the moment you leave it goes tits up.

4.  Be capable of herding cats, or in this case Thai employees.

I have lost count of the number of times I have dropped in to some bar to find LOUD Thai music blaring out, the staff huddled around a bottle of San Song and ignoring me as I walk in hoping I will just turn around and leave, which I do.  When the falangs away the Thais play.

In my opinion you HAVE to have a thai presence (ie thai manager etc), no successful bar (not beer bar) runs with farangs only, A mate of mine who is a manager of a big gogo is currently on his own and says himself he feels a bit worried because he has no thai male to back him up with police, other thais etc.

Dave,

I agree you need a Thai 'beard'. When things go wrong with the staff and you need to crack down it has to be done by him/her as they will take it from a Thai but not a falang but the point is he/she is your front man not a manager in any real sense of the word. A good/bad mamasan makes/breaks a bar.

Beer bars are a laff - naught wrong with them. More ripoffs at GoGo(s) any day - considering the drink prices.

If you don't like Beer Bars faire enough don't frequent them. Problem solved.

Totally agree.

I even had had some cheeky venue charge me 50 Baht for water the other night.

Must be a fare price for pattaya, or should I could give it a miss next time.

Think i will.

Beer bars are a laff - naught wrong with them. More ripoffs at GoGo(s) any day - considering the drink prices.

Totally agree.

Think i will.

Probably my bar :o

Totally agree.

Think i will.

Probably my bar :D

I thought that was watering down spirits, you're overcharging now Dave? :o

Totally agree.

Think i will.

Probably my bar :D

I thought that was watering down spirits, you're overcharging now Dave? :o

har sip baht extra if you want your spirits watered down.

Dave is no fool :D

Totally agree.

Think i will.

Maybe it was fizzy water that had been left standing?

By the previous punter... :o

I'll take a beerbar over a smoky, plastic, overpriced GoGo (so-ooo 70s) any day (or night).

The biggest downer for me in a beer bar, is the incessant boom, boom, boom, which kills any conversation, which I'm sure the girls hate, because they want all your attention, not having two guys talking football all night. I could say I'm just getting too old, but I always hated disco music.

A bar with nice ballards will get my patronage anytime. As for the Blues factory. I can stand it for one Chang, then I have to go. The 110b has something to do with it too :o

i really like when 1 am comes and the music and lights turned down,seems more relaxing girls not as pushy and you can have a good conversation and some girls look a lot better with the lights out or is it the grog :D:o

The worse avenue is these fish tanks, girls are low grade and way over priced.

I like hunting the sois for a late night snack. I seem to find mint ones at

really low prices. I Grab a ST pre-market (stock pun lol) then hit the bars

and maybe find something decent. If not go trolling after the bars close.

Before the premarket hunt i dont bother taking a shower because you'll

be taking one anyways.

Sometimes during market hours in the beer bars ask the girl to hook up

with you right after the bar closes. its more fun. Take em out for a bite

to eat have a nice conversation and head back to their pad or yours.

Its more laid back.

Edited by Nam Kao

In my opinion you HAVE to have a thai presence (ie thai manager etc), no successful bar (not beer bar) runs with farangs only, A mate of mine who is a manager of a big gogo is currently on his own and says himself he feels a bit worried because he has no thai male to back him up with police, other thais etc.

I agree with you. In the go-go bars the mammasun runs the show. The Farang owner/manager play second fiddle. If mammasun walks, she takes most of the girls with her.

It's a different story in the beer bars. Farang owners have control but still need a good Thai manager (wife) to handle staff and police.

In Walking Street there are three bars alongside each other. The Roo Bar, Star Bar and Stoney's Bar. All have a great location but with different attitudes towards entertaining/serving customers.

The Roo Bar has Aussie owners, at least one of them always present. Icy cold beer, good conversation with owners and other customers, no loud music. Quick service. The bar is full most nights, high and low season despite having to sit on backless stools. Serious beer drinkers stay all night, and spend spend spend.

Next door is the Star Bar. Mostly absent Thai female owner, Thai cashier manages each shift. Draught beer is flat, bottled beer is almost warm, music mostly loud but they will turn the volume down if asked. Service is good, girls don't push themselves onto you unless you wink at them. The bar never does a roaring trade. Serious beer drinkers have one (maybe leave half of it) and move on.

Next to them is Stoney's Bar. Former Aussie owner, (deceased) bar now run by Thai wife maintaining her former husbands high standards. Draught and bottled beer icy cold, good service, soft music..if any, comfortable seats...always occupied. Serious beer drinkers never stop at one.

Cold beer is a must for a successful beer bar. Customers who are prepared to settle in for a full drinking session, need a fairly quiet atmosphere for some in-depth conversation. Blaring music is not an attraction.

Farang owners seem to know what their customers want and are prepared to provide it, whereas Thai owners either don't know how to attract big drinking customers or don't care.

Two beer bars I had never been to before in Soi 7 and 8 recently charged me 160 and 170 Baht for a Breezer lady drink. Unbelievable. I have lived here for 3 years, and disputed the amounts. If a typical top quality go go bar on Walking Street charged that you would be outraged. But beer bars are great if you want a low-key evening with less professional women than those who hassle you in the go go bars. But I will never again buy a lady drink in a beer bar without asking the price first.

I don’t know a lot about managing a bar in Thailand but I have owned a number of bars/restaurants in North America.

If you own a beer bar in Thailand and offer a number of things that the competition does not offer i.e. free food, happy hour prices, great looking women in attractive outfits and any other things that the other bars are not doing does someone come in and burn your place down?

Because that is the only reason I can figure that some of the places don’t try to gain a competitive edge over the other bars.

If you check out 100 beer bars 95 are poorly managed. It doesn’t take a brain trust to figure out it is better to make a quarter off of 20 customers than $5.00 off of one customer.

This is a serious question because I am contemplating buying a beer bar (Not in Pattaya).

I can’t help but think there must be some reason they are all so poorly managed.

I can’t help but think there must be some reason they are all so poorly managed.

I think its because quite a few of the falang owners used to work on building sites and got tired of cement and plaster and heavy work.

They escape to LoS and buy/open a beerbar as a sort of hobby.

Many are really boozers masquerading as businessmen.

Farang owners seem to know what their customers want and are prepared to provide it, whereas Thai owners either don't know how to attract big drinking customers or don't care.

Not too sure about that.

JP Bar

Jenny Star Bar

Hot Tuna bars

Lucky Star Bar

Hard Rock Bar

Abbies Bar

All 100% thai owned and very successful (Some more so than Stoneys, Roo etc etc) :o

Yeah some are on to it.

Thirty percent of your list are Ladyboy bars.

Maybe the falangs need to stop paying them and employing them.

Not too sure about that.

JP Bar

Jenny Star Bar

Hot Tuna bars

Lucky Star Bar

Hard Rock Bar

Abbies Bar

All 100% thai owned and very successful (Some more so than Stoneys, Roo etc etc) :o

Two beer bars I had never been to before in Soi 7 and 8 recently charged me 160 and 170 Baht for a Breezer lady drink. Unbelievable. I have lived here for 3 years, and disputed the amounts. If a typical top quality go go bar on Walking Street charged that you would be outraged. But beer bars are great  if you want a low-key evening with less professional women than those who hassle you in the go go bars. But I will never again buy a lady drink in a beer bar without asking the price first.

Sorry man if you been here for three years

You should know better by now.

Like you said ask first it saves all the Bs

Not too sure about that.

JP Bar

Jenny Star Bar

Hot Tuna bars

Lucky Star Bar

Hard Rock Bar

Abbies Bar

All 100% thai owned and very successful (Some more so than Stoneys, Roo etc etc) :D

I've had a drink or two at Lucky Star Bar. I don't know who owns it now but it was owned by BJ's sister-in-law. When American BJ had his bar on Walking Street, his style of management influenced the running of Lucky Star. These days, with its blaring music, it has nothing going for it other than location.

Abbies Bar has always been quite good. Small, regular clientele but very quiet (mostly empty) in the low season. I'd back the Roo and Stoney's income against Abbies.

Jenny Bar...no thanks. :o

You didn't mention Buffalo Bar. Now there is a bar... :D

What a very strange post. Drunk I should imagine.

What you need:

1. Someone who knows what they are doing and that means someone with experience in the trade.

2. Not let a Thai anywhere near anything that can remotely be described as management and especially not your girlfriend/wife.

3. Be on the premises at all times, the moment you leave it goes tits up.

4. Be capable of herding cats, or in this case Thai employees.

I have lost count of the number of times I have dropped in to some bar to find LOUD Thai music blaring out, the staff huddled around a bottle of San Song and ignoring me as I walk in hoping I will just turn around and leave, which I do. When the falangs away the Thais play.

Very true Yarpy.