The Colors Of Thailand

MediumPaceBowler

Red shirts because it is a different colour., although In some cultures, certain shades of red are used to symbolize anger or aggression. It is the color of blood when it is exposed to sunlight, and it is most commonly referred to as a color of evil, love, and sometimes, though rarely, happiness. Red is used as a symbol of guilt, sin, passion, and anger, often as connected with blood or sex.In Roman Catholicism, red represents wrath.

Although I suspect they chose red because Red is used as a symbol of courage and sacrifice, as in blood spilt in sacrifice, or courage in the face of lethal danger.

Don't want to set Kerry off on the whole Chinese-Thai thing, but to Thaksin's family red traditionally represents good luck and joy, hence the envelopes for the New Year.

I haven't thought about it, but are there some colors that Thais never wear ? Something like I remember my exotic-ex-hiso-italian-german-tunisian-eskimo-girlfriend saying about purple and males in Italy (I think it meant you're gay).

My Thai mates joke about purple for exactly that reason sometimes, although they do also have a good mate who's Italian, so that might also be the reason, however in general purple is a colour I very infrequently see in Thailand.

As for other colours, as Mr Cash mentioned above, they're not overly fond of black unless they're in mourning (In which case if you work for the government, when someone from the royal family dies they'll ask you to wear black or white every day for a few weeks). Likewise my gf's family seemed to kick up a stink when I turned up for my engagement ceremony wearing my black shirt and tie, apparently it's bad luck, and made me to change it (I thought it'd be special if I wore my national colour lol, particularly as it was what I'd worn to work earlier in the day and felt I was already nicely dressed so was lazy to change lol).

Also @ the second post, for Sky Blue, I'd say Krungthai rather than TMB, as Krungthai is all "Sky Blue", whereas TMB is also red/white (And the blue is a bit darker for TMB too).

I'll go with that.

But why are gold and silver "for status"? I'm sure you're right, but why do these two colors predominate?

Perhaps not all treasure is silver and gold but. . .

OK -- fair point.

Next question

When we (us farangs) have children with local women, our children's eyes are usually brown or black.

My son's eyes (he's half-English half-Isaan) are brown. And my eyes are blue.

Only once in the last decade or so have I seen a luk-krueng child (the son of an Englishman) who had blue eyes.

Why is it that luk-kreung children so rarely inherit their father's blue eyes?

I'll go with that.

But why are gold and silver "for status"? I'm sure you're right, but why do these two colors predominate?

Perhaps not all treasure is silver and gold but. . .

OK -- fair point.

Next question

When we (us farangs) have children with local women, our children's eyes are usually brown or black.

My son's eyes (he's half-English half-Isaan) are brown. And my eyes are blue.

Only once in the last decade or so have I seen a luk-krueng child (the son of an Englishman) who had blue eyes.

Why is it that luk-kreung children so rarely inherit their father's blue eyes?

Genetics. Some colours are more dominant. For hair colour for example, it is Black and Red. Give it another few thousand years and the half world will be ginger.

But most Thais drive a car that's:

1. white

2. gold

3. sliver

Why?

Where I come from (London), people drive reds and blues and greens. But you seldom see these colors here in Thailand.

I take it none of you own a car.

If you have a car in an exotic color it's more difficult to resell. Usually you can get at least 10-20% discount on a car with an exotic color compared to a car with a "standard" color

Edited by JurgenG

1. white

2. gold

3. sliver

Why?

Where I come from (London), people drive reds and blues and greens. But you seldom see these colors here in Thailand.

If you have a car in an exotic color it's more difficult to resell. Usually you can get at least 10-20% discount on a car with an exotic color compared to a car with a "standard" color

You may have that wrong. People who own cars in "exotic" colors are the ones who worry least about resell prices.

As I said before, my GF's BMW is a TRULY VILE acid yellow. But she doesn't care about the second hand market.

I own a Honda Civic. It's new. And it's white. I'm sensible. But that's because I'm not rich.

What car do you own?

What car do you own?

Is this another one of your challenge questions?

If it is, my exotic pan-Asian-European-African-latin American gf has a Aston Martin V12 Vantage in British racing green. My wife poodles about in a Convertable E-type jag, and I have a humble datsun cherry, rust coloured.

Edited by LucidLucifer

In Thai tradition, there is an astrological rule (which has influence from Hindu mythology) that assigns color for each day of the week. The color is assigned based on the color of the God who protects the day or Navagraha. For example, the God of Sunday is Surya which has red color. These colors of the day are the traditional Thai birthday colors. For example, King Bhumibol was born on Monday, so on his birthday throughout Thailand will be decorated with yellow color. Day Color of the day Planet God of the day Sunday red Sun Surya Monday yellow Moon Chandra Tuesday pink Mars Mangala Wednesday green Mercury Budha Thursday orange Jupiter Brihaspati Friday light blue Venus Shukra Saturday purple Saturn

Shani

Hope this helps.

dark blue - TMB/ Bangkok Bank (blue with orange)

yellow = Bank of Ayudhya

green - Kasikorn Bank

sky blue - TMB

purple - Siam Commercial Bank's

pink - Government savings Bank

So thats your questions answered. next............ wai.gif

Bravo! Thanks very much.

I never thought to Google this as I'd always assumed there was no real logic to the way colors are assigned.

Next ...

My exotic pan-Asian girlfriend drives an acid-yellow BMW. She's upper class, so she can basically do what she wants.

1. white

2. gold

3. sliver

Why?

Silver shows the dust less :)

What car do you own?

Why do you ask? Don't you or your wife drive cars?

Next question .................. coming soon.

I'll beat you to it.

Next question....which poster on TV most resembles Walter Mitty?

What car do you own?

If it is, my exotic pan-Asian-European-African-latin American gf has a Aston Martin V12 Vantage in British racing green. My wife poodles about in a Convertable E-type jag, and I have a humble datsun cherry, rust coloured.

:lol:

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote....... "My exotic pan-Asian girlfriend has a top job at the Ministry of Transport here in the metropolis. And every day she wears a different color to work.

She really does look quite lovely!!!

Here are the colors:

Monday -- yellow

Tuesday -- pink (or should that be orange?)

Wednesday -- orange (or should that be pink?)

Thursday -- green

Friday -- blue

Saturday -- purple

Sunday -- red " ........unquote

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your GF drives a BMW and has a top government job, but she has to work on Saturday and Sunday?!! rolleyes.gif

Edited by chickenslegs

1. white

2. gold

3. sliver

Why?

Many cars have had racing history and used a color for their racers, such as silver for Benz, red for Ferrari, etc, hence the colors you see in Europe. Here, though, for some reason cars with metallic paint covered by a layer of lacquer are popular and in same cases one actually has to pay extra $$ for a simple color. Might have something to do with the sun being so hot that pure colors fade quickly.

You are right about the racing car colours, but they were to do with countries rather than manufacturers.

Italy, red, Ferrari, Maserati, Alfa Romeo.

GB, BRG, Aston Martin, Bentley, Lotus, Cooper.

France, blue, Bugatti.

Japan, white, Honda.

Germany, silver, Auto Union, Mercedes. Etc.

1. white

2. gold

3. sliver

Why?

You may have that wrong. People who own cars in "exotic" colors are the ones who worry least about resell prices.

As I said before, my GF's BMW is a TRULY VILE acid yellow. But she doesn't care about the second hand market.

I own a Honda Civic. It's new. And it's white. I'm sensible. But that's because I'm not rich.

What car do you own?

Camry (silver), Fortuner (black), BMW 530 (Silver)

Your GF drives a BMW and has a top government job, but she has to work on Saturday and Sunday?!! rolleyes.gif

Kind of confused as well.

Is OP just taking the piss?

I mean, he doesn't even sense if someone tells him he is a troll, or make fun of him.

I think he is one of those people that lives in a bubble and never realises people are laughing at him, not with him. He will think he is cool and witty, when everyone else thinks he charmless and vulgar. He will never know when to go home, even after all the other guests have gone and you're falling asleep while he rambles on. Just as you are about to ask him to leave, he will come up with the great idea of watching all 3 Godfather films back to back and proceed to look for them in your dvd collection ........and you know which is his favourite.

A bit like George W Bush.

I've sometimes wondered how come the fishermen can use the same nets for centuries, don't the fish ever learn ? To my added wonderment I now can see that the same applies to internet Trolls and their captive audience. Live and learn.

What was it again .. Don't feed the trolls. I know, but they are so cute ..

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Never mind that, get out in the countryside at this time of year and look at the trees in blossom

Reds, Yellows, Purples................. Just wonderful.

Those are the real colours of Thailand!!

1. white

2. gold

3. sliver

Why?

Many cars have had racing history and used a color for their racers, such as silver for Benz, red for Ferrari, etc, hence the colors you see in Europe.

Those are the colours of the nation rather than the manufacturer. Light blue for France and British Racing Green for the UK.

The secret color code is as follows:

Monday is Yellow for the moon god, and is the color representing HM King Bhumibol (the King of Thailand)

Tuesday is Pink for the Mars god, and is the color representing HM Queen Sirikit (the Queen of Thailand)

Wednesday is Green for the Mercury god and is the color representing HM King Chulalongkorn (Rama V, the great Thai king of the late 19th century), and also represents the wishing of good health to the current King of Thailand.

Thursday is Orange for the Jupiter god.

Friday is Blue for the Venus god.

Saturday is Purple for the Saturn god

Sunday is Red red for the sun god.

My exotic anglo-australian bf wakes up in the morning and goes to sleep at night. Its really so incredibly exciting i can hardly contain myself telling you all! !!

yes, but with whom? after all. you have mentioned time and time again that he is away.

Monday is Yellow for the moon god, and is the color representing HM King Bhumibol (the King of Thailand)

Tuesday is Pink for the Mars god, and is the color representing HM Queen Sirikit (the Queen of Thailand)

Wednesday is Green for the Mercury god and is the color representing HM King Chulalongkorn (Rama V, the great Thai king of the late 19th century), and also represents the wishing of good health to the current King of Thailand.

This had me confused for a moment - why are the Thais paying any attention to all of these Greek and Roman gods? Then I realized that he was referring to planets. duh.

Edited by Pacificperson

Who originally assigned those colors to the various planets?