Adsl Wifi Router

Deke

I have a D-Link WiFi router (DSL-G604T) that is probably about 7 years old. It's connected to my home True ADSL connection and has always worked fine until recently.

Now, it often loses the ADSL connection and I need to restart it several times before it will connnect again. Also the WiFi signal is getting very weak; nothing near what it used to be.

Is there any likely, correctable, cause for this type of behaviour or should I assume that it's just getting old and decrepit like me and buy a new one?

If it has an external power pack, it might be going bad and not delivering the right amount of clean DC (assuming DC is output). Worth checking as a new power pack is probably a lot cheaper, if you have an attachment to this router.

Looking up some reviews, I got this:

"We're well used to consumer-level routers being less robust than their enterprise counterparts, but the DSL-G604T sat on the poor side of the fence when it came to overall stability."

Hopefully there was a firmware update after that review that helped?

Maybe a newer model might be worth the investment.

Edited by rakman

I hadn't thought of checking the power supply before but it seems to be OK. The no load output is around 13 Volts and it doesn't drop at all when the router is booting up or operating.

It looks like I need to go shopping. Any recommendations for make and model of a good ADSL WiFi router?