Pcx 150 Stolen

ianthai

A friend of mine whose 90 year old mother was in Bangkok Pattaya Hospital claims his PCX was stolen from the BPH parking lot. Considering the normal procedure there is one gets a receipt from the security guard upon leaving the lot and needs the receipt to pick up his bike after seeing the doctor, I thought this was tough to see how it could be done. However....just several weeks ago, I noticed two guys who were not working security hanging around where the attendant normally sits. I was not given a receipt and when I came back to pick up my bike later and the security guard was now where he should have been, he never asked me for one.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lesson, some of this criminals who steal motorcycles and scooters in Thailand can walk to a motorcycle/scooter put on a helmet and appear to normally preparing for riding without anybody seeing something that will tip them off....

Okay if you're famous at an apartment building and you have a signal-green Honda Wave a security guard will remember that the guy sitting on the bike is not the guy who normally sits on it.

I have seen on security video's that a 'Asian' guy breaks/unlocks a Honda motorcycle with tool in the same time he uses to put on his helmet, with his left hand he unlocks the bike and with the right hand he puts on his helmet... After the helmet is secured he puts in his own lock with key and turn the bike on...

After that it's bye bye motorcycle/scooter... probably the Honda PCX150 is now converted to parts and sold in the shops in the area...

And these are the exact thieving little pr_cks that the disc alarm will foil.

Then you can see exactly where your bike is.at anytime on google maps, and even how it got there!

Entertaining as well when you show up with the BIB at the thieves hide out...

Very Entertaining ,until you get shot or beaten to death with hammers

the bike theives probably know where they stole your bike from so it woulnt be too hard to get back at ya once they have bribed their way out

half an hour later

i heard over a hundred bikes a night are stolen in pattaya alone ,and the occasional 16 year old drug addict is arrested about once a month ,

looks like 99% of the theives are protected somehow

id just report it and collect a new one on the insurance ,and let the new "owners" keep it :)

That's a rather silly attitude!

Then you can just as well let all crime against you go unpunished as the criminals will surely get back at you later...

Copping a 20% loss on a bike when you can easily recupperate the bike?

That's almost 15,000 baht in the case of a pcx...

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Does anyone have, or know someone who has, a 3G GPS tracker for their motorbike?

I have looked into them, but only found one that was small enough to conceal, could be hard-wired into the motorbike, and didn't require an external antenna. This was close to 11,000 baht. I'm sure there are others out there, but I never found one that seemed good.

Then you can see exactly where your bike is.at anytime on google maps, and even how it got there!

the bike theives probably know where they stole your bike from so it woulnt be too hard to get back at ya once they have bribed their way out

half an hour later

i heard over a hundred bikes a night are stolen in pattaya alone ,and the occasional 16 year old drug addict is arrested about once a month ,

id just report it and collect a new one on the insurance ,and let the new "owners" keep it smile.png

Then you can just as well let all crime against you go unpunished as the criminals will surely get back at you later...

by the time you have convinced (paid ) the BIB to go arrest some people + the price of the gps unit in the first place (someone says they cost 11k ? ) ,most of your saved 15k will be eaten away and you would have been safer just accepting a new bike from the insurance company :)

I know they can be expensive with the 12 months tracking plans, but with a Theft Alarm / GPS transponder built into your bike (and the fact that it is not advertised), you have a good chance of locating it or what's left. But this system you have instant tracking capability.

Edited by Garry

Does anyone have, or know someone who has, a 3G GPS tracker for their motorbike?

I have looked into them, but only found one that was small enough to conceal, could be hard-wired into the motorbike, and didn't require an external antenna. This was close to 11,000 baht. I'm sure there are others out there, but I never found one that seemed good.

http://www.bellissimoto.com/RLinkProducts.html

http://store.rlink.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=40_134&product_id=253

http://www.bellissim...nkProducts.html

http://store.rlink.c...&product_id=253

Thanks Garry. Looks great, but at 15,000+ baht, plus 4000+ baht per year, I wouldn't go there unless I had a big bike.

Generally from experience I have gleaned from people who have lived in Thailand for a long time, the best thing to do is chain the bike to something solid. Most thieves won't waste the time to steal a bike that is chained, especially if you have something very solid because it requires to much effort to steal. Thieves are in most cases very lazy people, all you have to do is introduce to them something challenging and most will walk on past to the next target.

I personally have a Xena disc lock with cable and adapter. It works great and most won't even mess with the bike, I know it works as I have seen more than one person running away after the bike when the alarm went off, this is what signaled me to get the chain and I have had no issues since - yes I have a big bike - 650 Versys which is much harder to steal because it's so big but I also have a new Yamaha Nouvo, same system for it.

Bottom line you can't stop a determined thief but you can make it hard for them. Only thing you can do if you want them around after they touch your bike is to electrify it - I actually thought of that, easy to build that system but I didn't want to spend any time in a Thai jail so passed on designing the system.

Sorry to hear about the bike, by the way I live in Pattaya to. As stated, it's not worth pushing to hard, the gangs here do seek revenge on people, not worth looking over your shoulder all the time even if it's not right, it's just the way it is for now and won't change soon.

Edited by commande

Sound like everyone says let them steal-it and claim against insurance,this will backfire as insurance companies will stop insuring or raise rates way to high, these little c#nts will end up costing us a fortune,

not sure if its been mentioned, but i have seen the new security device for sale in 1 pattaya shop

its a wheel lock and makes the most annoying sound ever when its tempered with.

it is extremely loud and extremely annoying and best of all, bike can not be driven or moved as it keeps "screaming"

if anyone needs more info on the shop, pm me or ask here

PS. Sorry unsure on the price, but i think was around 1000-3000

not sure if its been mentioned, but i have seen the new security device for sale in 1 pattaya shop

it is extremely loud and extremely annoying and best of all, bike can not be driven or moved as it keeps "screaming"

those things can be silenced with a wet sock i read on anoter thread here

luckily thai people dosnt usualy wear socks :D

luckily thai people dosnt usualy wear socks biggrin.png

HaHaclap2.gif , so its safe to buy one then cheesy.gif

Sound like everyone says let them steal-it and claim against insurance,this will backfire as insurance companies will stop insuring or raise rates way to high, these little c#nts will end up costing us a fortune,

can always get a pitbull and leave him/her with a bikebiggrin.png

though if you end up with one like mine, she would probably lick thieves to death

http://www.bellissim...nkProducts.html

http://store.rlink.c...&product_id=253

Thanks Garry. Looks great, but at 15,000+ baht, plus 4000+ baht per year, I wouldn't go there unless I had a big bike.

True it is on the pricey side and more a big bike orientated expense. Xena alarms are a good start though.

edit: I meant to add that a good anchor lock & chain for home is a plus as well. Xena make a zone alarms (static type: mount on a wall) as well.

Edited by Garry

its really tricky to secure a bike properly ,ESP if your security guard is helping them

go on youtube and you will consistently see the best locks being removed in 30 seconds or so

a simple pair of bolt croppers will go through almost all motorcycle chains in 1-2 attempts

the more deterrants you have the better your chances ,but id rather jump on my bike and go than spend 10 minutes unlocking it

and then packing away my locks every time i need to use it

good insurance is better than a dozen locks and chains imo

Hi got a PCX on order where is a Xena purchased from. Also has anybody claimed on the honda insurance, do they pay up ok and straight forwards.

You can purchase Xena locks at the Kawasaki dealer in Pattaya, they have many. No cables for the Xena are in stock but they have ordered them which means you can add your name to the list of those that get first pick when they arrive in a few weeks or maybe a month. Kawasaki dealer if your not familiar is located on Sukhumvit Road.

Edited by commande

luckily thai people dosnt usualy wear socks biggrin.png

Any sound emitting device can be silenced if you can get to the device emitting the noise. If this is a concern, purchase a non-alarming disc lock for the brake disk, then purchase a Xena sound emitting lock. Place the cheaper disk lock on the brake disk, lock and place the Xena with arming adapter under your seat and lock it. Hard to silence the alarm under your seat unless they rip the seat off.

Again, make it hard to steel and a pain in the a@S - most will stay away, only other solution is bring the bike into your condo or house and don't leave it outside, I do know people that do this as well.

Hi got a PCX on order where is a Xena purchased from. Also has anybody claimed on the honda insurance, do they pay up ok and straight forwards.

You can purchase Zena locks at the Kawasaki dealer in Pattaya, they have many. No cables for the Xena are in stock but they have ordered them which means you can add your name to the list of those that get first pick when they arrive in a few weeks or maybe a month. Kawasaki dealer if your not familiar is located on Sukhumvit Road.

i believe mai thai on soi buakhao has/had a range in stock, owner speak flawless English so can just give them a call http://www.maithaicomplex.com/motorbike-service/

Any recommendations for security, I did see a wheel lock that had an alarm on it not sure how effective this would be.

I don't know if this would work,but I seen those 12V > 220V inverters for sale around 500 Bht.I guess the thief would be in for a shock.

half an hour later

id just report it and collect a new one on the insurance ,and let the new "owners" keep it smile.png

by the time you have convinced (paid ) the BIB to go arrest some people + the price of the gps unit in the first place (someone says they cost 11k ? ) ,most of your saved 15k will be eaten away and you would have been safer just accepting a new bike from the insurance company

Someone said a 3G version costs 11000 Bht,Why it has to be 3G as it send only a very little data.A gprs tracker can be bought from ebay for as little as 3000 Bht,and can be purchased in Pattaya for about 5000 Bht.

You can purchase Xena locks at the Kawasaki dealer in Pattaya, they have many. No cables for the Xena are in stock but they have ordered them which means you can add your name to the list of those that get first pick when they arrive in a few weeks or maybe a month. Kawasaki dealer if your not familiar is located on Sukhumvit Road.

Hi thanks, been in a few times so no where.

You can purchase Zena locks at the Kawasaki dealer in Pattaya, they have many. No cables for the Xena are in stock but they have ordered them which means you can add your name to the list of those that get first pick when they arrive in a few weeks or maybe a month. Kawasaki dealer if your not familiar is located on Sukhumvit Road.

i believe mai thai on soi buakhao has/had a range in stock, owner speak flawless English so can just give them a call http://www.maithaico...orbike-service/

Met him few days ago i was checking out new seat for new PCX, nice guy and knows his stuff, thanks for the info

I think I will buy a Xena, I agree if they really want your bike it will go, but maybe if it looks too much trouble they might look elsewhere, thieving c#nts. and I agree security guard should be fired.

I think I will buy a Xena, I agree if they really want your bike it will go, but maybe if it looks too much trouble they might look elsewhere, thieving c#nts. and I agree security guard should be fired.

Heavy chain and lock it to something solid. Alarm is good to (Xena). Clearly the PCX 150 ATM is _the_ scooter to steal so lock it down accordingly.

In the USA - see below - thieves often wait for the insurance replacement bike to arrive, and then steal that too. So the replacement is going to be very high risk. FYI.

Another tidbit from the below: Condo parking garages are prime "shopping" area for thieves. I imagine in Thailand the minimum wage security guard is easily bribed to look the other way for 1000 baht or something.

Just came across an interesting thread recently: Ask Me Anything, Motorcycle thief edition. Thailand is probably a little different from the USA but still lots of good info, including how they operate.

http://www.reddit.co...p_operator_ama/

Edited by nikster

Another tidbit from the below: Condo parking garages are prime "shopping" area for thieves. I imagine in Thailand the minimum wage security guard is easily bribed to look the other way for 1000 baht or something.

from what i gather ,low level security guards get paid as less at 250-300 thb per SHIFT and this varies from 8-12 hours

i assume it wouldnt take a kings randsom for them to be co-erced into turning a blind eye or even lending a hand /holding the door open etc

Heavy chain and lock it to something solid. Alarm is good to (Xena). Clearly the PCX 150 ATM is _the_ scooter to steal so lock it down accordingly.

In the USA - see below - thieves often wait for the insurance replacement bike to arrive, and then steal that too. So the replacement is going to be very high risk. FYI.

Just came across an interesting thread recently: Ask Me Anything, Motorcycle thief edition. Thailand is probably a little different from the USA but still lots of good info, including how they operate.

http://www.reddit.co...p_operator_ama/

sorry to go little off topic, but you know funny thing about security guards, while they get the minimum, company's charge 15000-18000 per month per guard-7 days 12 hour shifts

really profitable business, when they pay guards less than half of what they charge