Released From Prison. 39 Year Sentence.

autan

In 2001, a friend of a friends Son, visited Thailand. He frequented the full moon parties, had a Thai Girlfriend and then ran out of money. He was faced with a choice, return to the UK or sell his passport for money. He chose the latter and also started to deal drugs. A very risky venture.

For two years, he became the dealer of choice for westerners to "go to" to get high, low and out of their minds. He remained for two years uncaught. Then he split from his girlfriend over a dispute and she brought the Police to his door.

The Police, arrested him and a long story short, he found himself looking at a 39 Year Sentence in Chiang Mai.

His Father has paid a total of £200,000 GBP (10 Millon Baht), to ensure he was treated well and eventually released to a UK Prison to serve out the remainder of his sentence. He was release from a well-know Manchester prison 3 weeks ago and I had an opportunity to speak with him. Here is a jist of the Q&A I had with him.

1. What was Thai Prison like ?

A: I was well looked after, my own room, TV, telephone, Internet, food was a little ropey, but you get used to it.

2. Was that because your Father paid a lot of money to ensure his Son was looked after.

A: Absolutely. Most foreign prisoners endure a weekly beating called "Sabai". Translated as comfortable. (Yeah anything but).

3. How did your Father pay the guards.

A: Through the attorney.

4. You sold your passport, how did they transfer you to the UK ?

A: Emergency documents.

5. Do you regret selling drugs in Thailand ?

A: Loads, various drug and financial crime.

6. Were there lots of falang in prison?

A: I plan on returning to Thailand to start a new (Business).

7. Are you out of your mind ?

A: No I need to pay my Dad back, its the best way to make money. No women this time.

8. I doubt they will let you in mate ?

A: Change of name deed, new passport and a fresh start.

9. It cant be that easy?

A: Yes it is.

10. Good luck ?

A: Whatever.

I expect a lot of posters to claim I am lying. You wont believe this either then. This is stone cold genuine.

I wouldnt believe it myself.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know someone who just got out of the Chiang Mai prison after serving a few years and he certainly never mentioned anything about being beaten "weekly" or at all. Hopefully, that is just BS.

I think the part about getting the new passport is true, because this guy was deported back to England and was back living in Thailand in a very short time.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I know someone who just got out of the Chiang Mai prison after serving a few years and he certainly never mentioned anything about being beaten "weekly" or at all. Hopefully, that is just BS.

I think the part about getting the new passport is true, because this guy was deported back to England and was back living in Thailand in a very short time.

+1 I also know someone who stayed there and no beatings.

+1 ... I can certainly believe getting a beating from a fellow prisoner but the guards do leave the westerners alone.

I have no reason to disbelieve the OP at all. I do however find it incredible that the father spent 200 grand in his son's favour and then for his son to want to go back. The father has now set the figure for all future westerner's payments!clap2.gif severely lacking in the brain department.

+1 ... I can certainly believe getting a beating from a fellow prisoner but the guards do leave the westerners alone.

I have no reason to disbelieve the OP at all. I do however find it incredible that the father spent 200 grand in his son's favour and then for his son to want to go back. The father has now set the figure for all future westerner's payments!clap2.gif severely lacking in the brain department.

++1, agreed, for that sort of bribe the lad could have got a first class ticket out of the country the very next day and been chaufered to the airport to boot by the BIB in full dress uniform.

• Like 1

My sources have previously confirmed that there are beatings. They are common in prison and serve several purposes;

1. Impressing upon certain presumed trouble makers who is charge. Foreign inmates that do not show the required deference and respect to the guards are beaten. Foreigners that do not show the appropriate respect to certain inmates are beaten.

2. Inmates presumed to have money are beaten as part of the extortion that exists in Thai prisons. This can come at the hands of both prisoners and guards.

I really do not think the aforementioned should come as a surprise to anyone, although I don't think the beatings are scheduled on a weekly basis. As many foreigners are destitute, they are not extorted. However, some lippy guests have indeed had serious beatings.

Edited by geriatrickid

2. Was that because your Father paid a lot of money to ensure his Son was looked after.

A: Absolutely. Most foreign prisoners endure a weekly beating called "Sabai". Translated as comfortable. (Yeah anything but).

It must the famous non-racist Thai way of welcoming foreigners !

Alternately aneliane, it's pure bulls**t, but don't let your unhappiness in Thailand spoil another good diatribe, right?

If he had access to 10 mill baht why did he even go to jail?

++1, agreed, for that sort of bribe the lad could have got a first class ticket out of the country the very next day and been chaufered to the airport to boot by the BIB in full dress uniform.

You have to have immediate access to sufficient funds, before paperwork gets processed to get off for a reasonable amount. T

The longer it takes to get cash in hand the more palms need greasing upstream.

Once it hits the papers, judges get involved then it's a lot more difficult, the corruption may only be able to make the process quicker and more comfortable as with this instance.

I cant speak for all the prisons in Thailand, certainly in Bangkwang where I do visit periodically I have been told that foreigners were not beaten due to Embassies lodging strong objections.

The American Embassy is pretty proactive and they would never allow for their citizens to be beaten as many other embassies wouldnt.

The British Embassy wouldnt probably be aware of it due to the long gaps between visitswhistling.gif

Sounds as though father & son deserve each other, and quite frankly the Home Office shouldnt be issuing him with a new passport!

Edited by edwinclapham

It's rumoured this form of welcome will soon replace the wai at airports recieving inbound passengers, along with personal beating booths set up by the enterprising immigration staff, passport, visa, beating!

• Like 1

I expect a lot of posters to claim I am lying. You wont believe this either then. This is stone cold genuine.

I wouldnt believe it myself.

I believe this part.

she brought the Police to his door.

I suppose he forgot to add that the judge is also his ex's relative and laughed uncontrollably while sentencing him.

Some people deserve a good kicking. Maybe the guards realised this particular individual was one of those.

He wants to start a business in Thailand to pay his dad back??? Is he thinking a Legal Business here?

What he needs to do is get a bloody job and work his butt off to pay back his dad, one wonders why he just didn't just ask his dad for a sub or a ticket home when he first run out of cash instead of selling drugs! neither of which would have amounted to 200,000 GBP or 39yrs in Jail !!

Edited by Tafia

He wants to start a business in Thailand to pay his dad back??? Is he thinking a Legal Business here?

What he needs to do is get a bloody job and work his butt off to pay back his dad, one wonders why he just didn't just ask his dad for a sub or a ticket home when he first run out of cash instead of selling drugs! neither of which would have amounted to 200,000 GBP or 39yrs in Jail !!

it would have been international news if a thai judge sentenced a young farang to 39 years in jail for minor drug selling on a beach

i think this whole story is wrong

even google doesnt bring up anything about it ,or can anyone find any shred of proof that substantiate it ?

• Like 2

Yea, like his dad is really going to be concerned about that?!

This story has given me a business idea (not drug dealing). How about a private investigation agency (employing farangs) acting on behalf of the Thai police to identify farang drug dealers?

It is certainly not an industry I would like to be involved with, but I think it could be commercially viable for someone with contacts with the relevant police chiefs (or the necessary Thai language skills and golf club membership to develop these contacts).

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

This story has given me a business idea (not drug dealing). How about a private investigation agency (employing farangs) acting on behalf of the Thai police to identify farang drug dealers?

It is certainly not an industry I would like to be involved with, but I think it could be commercially viable for someone with contacts with the relevant police chiefs (or the necessary Thai language skills and golf club membership to develop these contacts).

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

I thought that kind of thing was already going on. Didn`t Stickman write about it a while ago? And what about the TPVs?