Passing Of William Slape - Manager Of Hellfire Pass Memorial Museum

whybother

Passing of William Slape

AustCham members and friends will be saddened to learn of the passing of Bill Slape over the weekend. Bill was a pillar of the Australian community in Thailand. As Manager of the Hellfire Pass Memorial Museum he was well-known and highly-regarded by all those associated with recognising Hellfire Pass as a site of great significance for Australia, Thailand and the many other countries whose citizens perished there.

A service will be held tomorrow, Tuesday 15 May from 1pm at Christ Church Bangkok, 11 Convent Road. Bathing rights will be held from Wednesday 16 May till Friday 18 May from 19.30 at Taewasankhalam (Wat Neua) Thanon Baak Phrae, Baan Neua Kanchanaburi.

On behalf of the entire AustCham family our sympathies extend to Bill's family and friends. He will be sorely missed.

The funeral arrangements for William ‘Bill’ Slape who very sadly passed away on Saturday morning (12 May) in Kanchanaburi are as follows:

Bangkok

1.00 p.m. Tuesday 15 May

Christ Church

11 Convent Road, Bangkok, Bangrak 10500, Thailand (02-234-3634)

(corner of Sathorn Road and Soi Convent, next to Bangkok Nursing Home Hospital).

Directions to Christ Church can be found on the website:

www.christchurchbangkok.org/

Kanchanaburi

Following the service in Bangkok, Bill will be returned to Kanchanaburi for services at the Wat Nua temple in Kanchanaburi as follows:

Wednesday (16), Thursday (17) & Friday (18) nights commencing 7.30 p.m.

Cremation Service: 1.00 p.m. Saturday (19 May).

I knew Bill and am very saddened to hear of his death.

His obvious commitment to the work he did here was total and infectious.

He has helped maintain and build a truly moving museum at Hellfire Pass.

I spoke with him not so long ago and he was trying to put me in contact with someone for Thai language lessons, his ability at which is something I am envious of:-)

Simply a good bloke. RIP mate.

• Like 1

From the staff here at Thaivisa we wish to extend condolences to William's family and friends, and our thanks to the late Mr Slape for all his efforts in keeping this important piece of history alive.

May he rest in peace. :wai:

WPFflags.gif

• Like 1

I was first introduced to Bill last year at the ANZAC day memorial in Kanchanaburi, and was fortunate enough to play a few games of golf with him. I also met up with him at this years ANZAC day and had a wonderful lunch with him after the ceremonies.

For the small amount of time that I got to know Bill, I found that he was genuine, sincere and would do anything to help you out........basically just a top bloke and will be sadly missed.

My condolences go out to all his family and close friends.

Only the good die young.

RIP Bill.

I met Bill recently whilst i was on the Long March (4 of us walked the railway from 3 pagoda pass to Kanchanaburi arriving for Anzac day), we met Bill on the railway and at the cemetery, a very pleasant guy.

R.I.P Bill

I met Bill while working on a guide book in Kanchanaburi. He was incredibly helpful and went out of his way to show me around and explain the history of Hellfire Pass. His dedication to the museum and commitment to maintaining it were first-class. He was a gentleman and I'm very saddened to hear of his passing.

Bill used to umpire us many a year ago & we would catch up each year when the ANZAC CUP was played at Kanch.

A legend in his own lifetime & will be missed by all at the Thailand Tigers who knew him.

RIP mate & condolences to the familys.

How very sad indeed. Only met him once, great person and very likeable.

Rest In Peace Bill

Your veiw Bill, each and every day at Hellfire Pass Memorial Museum

24161133.jpg

Win wai.gif

Edited by Kan Win

Was an absolute pleasure to see Bill interact with his staff in the days leading up to the ANZAC dawn service, the way he spoke to all kinds of people spoke volumes to me.

I am glad I got to shake this gentleman's hand

RIP

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I met Bill several times at HellFire Pass and also during one of his breaks away in Hua Hin. A thoroughly good human being, down-to-earth, humble and dignified. The world is a poorer place with his passing. RIP.

• Like 1