Phuket Immigration Testing Your Thai To Get Extension!

A friend and I were on phuket immigration last week and my friend was asked to write his name in thai and introduce himself in Thai in order to get his second extension, I did only a 90-day report dident need to do the "test" I can not see how "older guys" in class will succeed doing this test if they dont attend to all classes!

just a heads up :)

It has been known for sometime that Immigration officers might ask you questions in Thai to ascertain that you do attend classes. That is the reason you got your Visa/Extensions to attend, not that many hours per week.

• 7 months later...

Doesn't sound like the questions are too difficult and not something somebody would pick up just being here a couple months. Kind of curious about the writing your name part as I went to school here and although they taught writing and reading, it is a very slow process to learn and I don't recall them ever personalizing the teaching to the extent of teaching everyone to write their name. Many students could actually speak fairly well (considering) but when it came to the reading and writing part they were lost. I would suspect the questions (or determinations from them) can't be too hard unless they aren't going to be extending visas to slow learners.

On the other hand it might raise a red flag if the only Thai you know is from the bar girls.

What you name?

Where come from?

How lone you here?

Doesn't sound like the questions are too difficult and not something somebody would pick up just being here a couple months. Kind of curious about the writing your name part as I went to school here and although they taught writing and reading, it is a very slow process to learn and I don't recall them ever personalizing the teaching to the extent of teaching everyone to write their name. Many students could actually speak fairly well (considering) but when it came to the reading and writing part they were lost. I would suspect the questions (or determinations from them) can't be too hard unless they aren't going to be extending visas to slow learners.

On the other hand it might raise a red flag if the only Thai you know is from the bar girls.

What you name?

Where come from?

How lone you here?

Whats the difference its still Thai. Nothing like a long hair dictionary for learning Thai

Everyone who has attended even a week-long converstional Thai class should be able to introduce themselves, ask someone their name and say they're pleased to meet them. Come on -- isn't this one of the first things taught in studying any foreign language?

Also, if the teacher of a "Intro to Thai reading & writing" class doesn't specifically require the students to be able to write their name, then someone in the class needs to ask. That's what happened in our class, the young teacher seemed a little flumoxed that we wanted to go "off lesson" for the day, but she relented and we all learned how to write each other's names.

Oh but wait a minute -- the above suggestions would actually involve someone attending classes. So sorry, I was under the impression that was the purpose of an ED visa!

Edited by NancyL

since the new guy took over at Phuket immigration there are lots of changes

Bring back the nice lady!!!!!!

Was there the other week and the 'new' guy at the desk was the officer who held the post prior to the lady whom you refer to above; whilst being away from that desk he's also been promoted to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel.