11,000 Killed In Thailand

masuk

The UK Guardian has just printed a report on the tragedy of Thailand, where so many refuse to wear helmets while riding a motor bike.

That's 11,000 killed last year, 70% of the total traffic accidents here. My goodness me. Thailand is now the most dangerous country anywhere to ride a motorbike.

It is estimated that 25% of riders do not use a helmet; i would venture to say that it's nearer 50% in the north, and whole families tootle around, helmet-less.

I was once told that you did not need a helmet after 9pm. The reason being that the police were not around. Now that's convoluted thinking! The concrete/asphalt does not soften after 9pm.

"Big mistake. Thailand ranks worst in the world for motorbike and two-wheeler casualties, with more than 11,000 motorbike drivers or passengers dying annually. Official statistics suggest such incidents account for 70% of the country's road fatalities." The Guardian

My favorite local safety feature is the wicker chair, which I refer to as an air-bag bracket. Geez, in my homeland you'd be thrown under the jail if you put your kid in one of these... especially without a helmet.