Whats The Best Way To Send Money To Thai Gf

honoluabay

Best way: open a bank account back home, wherever that may be, and send her the ATM card and PIN code. Make sure the card is limited to the credit amount on the card, and fill up as required.

This is too expensive.

ATM and exchange rate fees must be taken into account. When a tourist uses their ATM card here, many go home to a nasty shock of the bank fees involved in using your visa/mastercard whilst abroad.

To use my home ATM card here, my bank charges a 150 baht ATM fee and then takes 3% of the amount I am withdrawing. That is a ridiculous 450 baht to withdraw 10,000 baht. Not huge money by western standards, but more than 2 days wages for someone in Issan. Certainly, 450 baht would be better spent by a Thai, in Thailand, than giving it to a wealthy foreign bank.

Assuming your gf is from Issan, I have never sent money for "sick buffalo" but if I had to, I would have 2 Thai bank accounts. I would move my "living or holiday money" from my home country to MY account in Thailand, than move some of it into my other Thai account, which my gf would have the ATM card to gain access to it. The idea behind this is I have to pay to move the the money to my account anyway, whether it be to holiday here or to live here, so I just move a bit more and then internet bank some of it to my other Thai account which the Thai gf can access. I would also have access, via internet banking, to observe where the money is being withdrawn from, however, many girls tell their boyfriend's they are back in Issan when they just send the ATM card up there for their family to use and they continue to work down south in the bar. Of course, initially, you would have to be in Thailand to set this up.

The bulk of the money attracting fees is YOURS and in YOUR account, waiting for you when you come back to Thailand, either to live, or to holiday. This "bauk" attracts most of the exchange/transfer fees which, in general, you could not escape, even if you bough in cash to exchange.

This is a lillte more ellaborate than other methods mentioned, but it is the way I would do it. If the relationship ever breaks down, just cancel the ATM card to your second account, the one your gf has, and just say goodbye to her.

I have been told you can Western Union to a specific branch, which means the girl must go into that branch to get the money, not just any branch. So, you may be prepared to pay extra fees to know that your gf is in fact in Issan, at least at the time of receiving the money. I have not researched this as fact, as yet, but it may be an option.

No nastiness, or offence intended, but I would excercise extreme caution on the path you are heading down.

There is a very fine line between providing financial support, making regular donations to someone impoverished and being taken advantage of and treated like a fool.

Edited by NamKangMan

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my comment was not meant to be nasty!!

How can inferring that the OP's girlfriend has other lovers not be nasty?

Maybe the op will respond to his thread and let us know if anything on here has upset him!! my comment is a true fact which happens to many people, maybe he is unaware of this and my comment will help to evaluate his position, then again he might have a decent, honest Thai girl and therefore he will not take offense at anything said!!

Oh if you read my comment carefully it is not directed directly at the op. if it was directed at him I would have mentioned his name!!! it's just a comment and not one to be taken seriously!!

you directly answered the OP so I can't see where you're doing anything other than back pedaling now... That said I can understand the comment being humourous to the TV peanut gallery, I've seen nastier said w/out any attempt at jest and I feel high horses are being mounted up over a troll!

Not back pedaling at all, it is something everyone should be aware of when sending money to a Thai girl from your home country, if this post is genuine(I don't think so, and the op is naive I have opened his eyes to what goes on!!!

I need to send money to GF. What's the best way to send money. Western Union, Bank Transfer or just send in mail. Any help will due. Will be doing every month so the cheaper the better but still safe.

If you have a Thai bank account open another one with the same bank and get an ATM card for her. You can then transfer from your main account to the GF account with no charges via Internet banking. Alternatively, if she has a Thai bank account you can transfer funds directly from your account to hers for a minimum fee once you have set up transfers.

If you don't have a Thai bank account then follow the previous suggestion to send her an ATM card from your foreign bank, just be aware that unless she can use an AEON ATM it will cost her 150 THB per transaction to use a foreign ATM card with any Thai bank. Depending upon your foreign bank account daily limit she may have to make more than one transaction to get the money so factor that and the exchange rate into her "allowance"

To wire transfer from a foreign bank to her account would probably not be cheap since you would have to pay for the wire transfer every month since the fee would be determined by your foreign bank

Under no circumstances use the Thai postal system and you have to determine which way is cheaper, International wires, foreign ATM card or Western Union

• Like 1

I opened an account when I was in Thailand. Then when my girlfriend needed money I would transfer it to her account from my Thai bank. I use SCB. The cost was 12baht and 2 business days or 35baht and same day to certain banks.

Sticking to what the OP actually asked....on the one or two occasions that I have sent money I used Western Union. Very efficient and easy for her to use as Western Union is everywhere. Don't send anything in the post. You wouldn't send cash in the mail at home so certainly don't send it here. As one poster said your post man will be enjoying a good life if you do.

I don't really understand the sending money thing. Is it not possible to have a job and also a farang boyfriend?

Maybe he is helping her to start a business that will support her, and eventually him, should he decide to move here.

• Like 1

I don't really understand the sending money thing. Is it not possible to have a job and also a farang boyfriend?

Maybe he is helping her to start a business that will support her, and eventually him, should he decide to move here.

Yes maybe....that's a nice thought. I assumed the question was about how to make repeated payments in the same fashion as a salary certainly that's what many of the answers suggested.

just save us the pain of reading your fleecing story in the future.

Get a lawyer, draw up papers and give her your whole life savings right away

Everyone wins.

If you still want to do this the long and hard way. Use moneygram. It's like western union but less fees

Edited by Hostile17

Everyone wins.

If you still want to do this the long and hard way. Use moneygram. It's like western union but less fees

Quite, but I'd be v suprised if this isn't a troll thread rolleyes.gif .

Everyone wins.

Quite, but I'd be v suprised if this isn't a troll thread rolleyes.gif .

Troll threads are the best ones.

• Like 1

Just some friendly advice (that you didn't ask for) ...

If you are contemplating sending a monthly 'salary' to a Thai Lady, typically they send between 4,000 and 10,000 Baht home to their family (stereotypically in Issan) depending on their disposable income.

Requests for amounts higher then that make you a rich Banker ... if you get my drift.

Think of money in their terms … the minimum wage (but does often appear to be the average wage for Factory workers etc) in Bangkok is 300 Baht … about $10 a day, and in the provinces it is 180 Baht, so while it may not be much money to you … it maybe a weeks wages to them

OH, you might be surprised to discover that you may not be the only one assisting in the welfare of your friend. kawapower's comment above is often the case.

There is much written here on the various Forums if you have the inclination to search.

OH … if you find my comment above in any offensive, then please have this post reported to the Moderators and they will most likely remove it from your thread as being 'off topic' ... just trying to be helpful.

This made me laugh..just read the guys footnote and then he writes the abovelaugh.png

If you can afford to, next time here open a thai bank of thesame kind your girlfriend, deposit enough till you come next time and just transfer from there each month...other than that, direct transfer from your bank may be best

To answer the OP's question. It would depend on what country you are sending money from. The best way I have found to transfer funds is by having a Bangkok Bank account. I have two. Bangkok Bank has a branch in New York. I think I read you are from the US? If so, you can transfer to her Bangkok Bank account online. But since I have a Bangkok Bank account in Thailand, I can transfer to my account, through Bank of America online, then go online to Bangkok and transfer to my wife's account. Transfers between local accounts are free. It does cost a bit to transfer to my Thai account, but much less than any other method I've found. See more at: http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok%20Bank/Business%20Banking/SMEs/Transfering%20Funds/Receiving%20Funds/Pages/Receiving%20Funds%20from%20USA.aspx

Send it to me and I'll make sure she gets it.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, as a senior he must send it to me, the beer l buy will NOT be wasted on another, and l WILL account for every penny, AND, l do not have a sick buffalo. wai.gif

my comment was not meant to be nasty!!

How can inferring that the OP's girlfriend has other lovers not be nasty?

Maybe the op will respond to his thread and let us know if anything on here has upset him!! my comment is a true fact which happens to many people, maybe he is unaware of this and my comment will help to evaluate his position, then again he might have a decent, honest Thai girl and therefore he will not take offense at anything said!!

Oh if you read my comment carefully it is not directed directly at the op. if it was directed at him I would have mentioned his name!!! it's just a comment and not one to be taken seriously!!

You all should heed kawapower's wise words as he's speaking from experience...

if it was directed at him I would have mentioned his name!!!

You come up with a lot of silly comments kp, but this one is I think your best so far. If it was not directed at him then who was it directed at? Let's revisit your comment:

Don't send any let all the other bf's do it instead!!

And yes you clearly are back peddling just as you have in several other threads I have seen. You do the same thing every time. You name call and act offensive, then act buddy buddy, "it's all just fun", "don't take it seriously" blah blah. Then accuse someone else of name calling or being offensive. Not that it's not entertaining mind you. You will be banned shortly, I suspect.

A good rule of thumb is don't make comments you wouldn't make to the person if they were sitting next to you in a bar. If you didn't know me from Adam and you made a comment to my face suggesting you think my girlfriend is being schtooped by other guys, you may find yourself with a bloody nose. The fact that you think it may be a troll is irrelevant. It may be, or it may not be.

Edited by NomadJoe
  • Like 1

WOW Thanks to all the real comments and The Help? It seems that many people don't believe that some one can meet a real Thai girl thats not out for my money. Some of the comments are more stupid and offensive than funny, sorry to all whom have been fooled by your past GF and there sick Buffalo's at home. This is an honest question that got a lot of Bullsh-t anwsers. I have lived in and out of thailand for the past 4 years and have very good info on all the pitfalls of dating a Thai girl. she has a job, she is honest and we are trying to set up a small company and work for ourselves. It sounds like some of the TV trolls need to leave TV and or Thailand itself. Aloha

PR What don't you understand? Things need to be taken care in my absence that means money needs to be sent there. Understand now. TV people get a life, open your eyes, see whats out there it not here in TV. Aloha

Everyone wins.

Sounds like you have been burned before, maybe bar girls are just your style. Happy times ahead for you.

if it was directed at him I would have mentioned his name!!!

You come up with a lot of silly comments kp, but this one is I think your best so far. If it was not directed at him then who was it directed at? Let's revisit your comment:

Don't send any let all the other bf's do it instead!!

And yes you clearly are back peddling just as you have in several other threads I have seen. You do the same thing every time. You name call and act offensive, then act buddy buddy, "it's all just fun", "don't take it seriously" blah blah. Then accuse someone else of name calling or being offensive. Not that it's not entertaining mind you. You will be banned shortly, I suspect.

A good rule of thumb is don't make comments you wouldn't make to the person if they were sitting next to you in a bar. If you didn't know me from Adam and you made a comment to my face suggesting you think my girlfriend is being schtooped by other guys, you may find yourself with a bloody nose. The fact that you think it may be a troll is irrelevant. It may be, or it may not be.

lol

Just noticed your comment on being banned, made my day!! cheesy.gif

Edited by kawapower

WOW Thanks to all the real comments and The Help? It seems that many people don't believe that some one can meet a real Thai girl thats not out for my money. Some of the comments are more stupid and offensive than funny, sorry to all whom have been fooled by your past GF and there sick Buffalo's at home. This is an honest question that got a lot of Bullsh-t anwsers. I have lived in and out of thailand for the past 4 years and have very good info on all the pitfalls of dating a Thai girl. she has a job, she is honest and we are trying to set up a small company and work for ourselves. It sounds like some of the TV trolls need to leave TV and or Thailand itself. Aloha

Good for you mate I to have a decent Thai girl, don't take anything seriously on here, I say what I think and would say it to anyones face if I actually thought it was true, this is a forum, many people will post serious comments and many people will post utter shish!! you have to sift through all the posts and take what you consider to be helpful, my comment is a true fact which I know from a friend who is a Thai girl, if you start a thread about sending money to a Thai girl then you have to expect people to not only post good advice but also others to give you advice on the pitfalls of sending money from abroad, you have had some great advice and there has been some humour, don't you just love Thai visa!!

Someone said something about a bloody nose cheesy.gif

Everyone wins.

Sounds like you have been burned before, maybe bar girls are just your style. Happy times ahead for you.

Everyone has been burned at least once me included, what matters is how quickly you learn the lesson!!!

I say what I think and would say it to anyones face if I actually thought it was true

You sound like a delightful individual. There are words which are commonly used to describe people that behave like that. However I seriously doubt that this is true. More accurate to say you TYPE what you think. Social restrictions and norms we learn even as children typically allow us the ability to restrain ourselves from communicating something that is likely to offend. Now, if one has not been taught to be respectful and thus has no moral barometer by which to measure their actions, well then that's a different story. The perceived anonymity and the physical security of distance removes the need for our moral barometer, which is why it's more likely your (and many peoples) ever present rude behavior is restricted to internet forums. I certainly hope you don't behave that way to the people around you in the real world. I am sad for you if you do.

kp. Try to answer just one question honestly. No back peddling, no minimizing, no changing the subject, no "but I never said that..." no "don't take what I say seriously..." If a complete stranger walked up to you in a bar and in front of your mates and accused your girlfriend of being a slut, what would you do?

Edited by NomadJoe

I say what I think and would say it to anyones face if I actually thought it was true

I seriously doubt that is true. You TYPE what you think. There are words for people that behave like that. You must be a delight at dinner parties. Making friends and influencing people eh?

kp. Try to answer this question honestly. No back peddling, no "but I never said.." If a complete stranger walked up to you in a bar and in front of your mates and accused your girlfriend of being a slut, what would you do?

I would not become violent as that solves nothing, I would question the Gf and if found to be true would finish with her and move on!!!

Plenty more fish in the sea!!

Edited by kawapower
  • Like 1

These forums are used by anonymous people, anonymous people can say what they like within reasonable limits, anonymous people can elaborate and sometimes make out they are slightly different to how they are away from these forums, everyone does it without exception, no one should take anything to heart regarding comments in any thread, they are from anonymous people who nothing about you, so anything said is just opinion, I take nothing seriously for the reasons I have just stated, so lighten up fellow forum users, to the op read all the posts and take whatever advice you feel is helpful, all other posts you can ignore!!

Good luck.

I seriously doubt that is true. You TYPE what you think. There are words for people that behave like that. You must be a delight at dinner parties. Making friends and influencing people eh?

kp. Try to answer this question honestly. No back peddling, no "but I never said.." If a complete stranger walked up to you in a bar and in front of your mates and accused your girlfriend of being a slut, what would you do?

I would not become violent as that solves nothing, I would question the Gf and if found to be true would finish with her and move on!!!

Plenty more fish in the sea!!

Well done. I didn't think you had it in you. I don't believe you though.

These forums are used by anonymous people, anonymous people can say what they like within reasonable limits, anonymous people can elaborate and sometimes make out they are slightly different to how they are away from these forums, everyone does it without exception, no one should take anything to heart regarding comments in any thread, they are from anonymous people who nothing about you, so anything said is just opinion, I take nothing seriously for the reasons I have just stated, so lighten up fellow forum users, to the op read all the posts and take whatever advice you feel is helpful, all other posts you can ignore!!

Good luck.

But why? Why do you feel the need to insult the OP and his girlfriend? What motivates you to go off like in other threads I have seen? That's what I don't understand. Your excuses for your behavior are absolutely wrong. I am a member of several anonymous forums and none of them continually degrade into useless insults and petty bickering which I see you increasingly engaged in.

Edited by NomadJoe