Sukhothai - Where Do All The White Folk Go.....

jambco984

I live in Mueang Sukhothai and see many a "Farrang" knocking about.

Many communities have little social groups that get together for beer, golf and other such frivolities.

I don't know if foreigners in Sukhothai just don't want anything to do with each other as I see some chaps quite frequently who do the don't make eye contact with the white folk shuffle. I'm not too saddened by this as its different strokes for different folks I get that.

Is there any groups who do get together and frankly get away from the missus or get out the house for a few hours.

I live here full time and work here also, so when I finish work I usually go home and settle down with some T.V or house chores.

Anyway love to get some input on the subject..................

Take care

Darren.

i live in petchabun and play golf regularly in pidsanulok (about 1h from sukhothai?) If you want to join on a round, let me know. cheers, chris.

Sounds good Chris, unfortunately my clubs are in England and my brother wont give me them back now lol.

I will eventually get round to purchasing some and I would enjoy playing in Pitsanulok.

I have been to a few driving ranges here and rented clubs, not the same though.

Thanks

Darren.

64 views in 2 hours and only 1 comment left from someone not even from Sukhothai. I'm guessing this is an early indicator of things to come.

Very private folk it seems the Sukhothai lot are.

My wife and I are regular visitors to Sukhothai as we have a recently built a house and have family there about 20 km from the City.

I have also wondered what the social activities of the local farangs are.

Though I'm not the most outward going of people, I wouldn't mind meeting up with a few people for a beer or 2 and to put the world to rights.

• Like 1

My wife and I are regular visitors to Sukhothai as we have a recently built a house and have family there about 20 km from the City.

Though I'm not the most outward going of people, I wouldn't mind meeting up with a few people for a beer or 2 and to put the world to rights.

I'm pretty much the same, I wont go out of my way to be more outgoing, I'm happy mostly in my bubble but sometimes I want to as you say, meet up with like minded folk and drink a few beers.

Where is 20km away? My In-Laws live in Ban Dan Lan Hoi about 35km from where I live in Mueang.

I'm pretty much the same, I wont go out of my way to be more outgoing, I'm happy mostly in my bubble but sometimes I want to as you say, meet up with like minded folk and drink a few beers.

Where is 20km away? My In-Laws live in Ban Dan Lan Hoi about 35km from where I live in Mueang.

We're over the mountain from you in Khirimat and will be there in 3 weeks time.

• Like 1

I have heard of Khirimat but never been, anything there or same as Ban Dan Lan Hoi? Nothing to write home about....

I have heard of Khirimat but never been, anything there or same as Ban Dan Lan Hoi? Nothing to write home about....

Nothing in Khrimat, though there is now a small 7-11 at one of the fuel stations.

But I still like the place. People are friendly, though they do tend to stare at the "white man" a bit.

• Like 1

Nothing in Khrimat, though there is now a small 7-11 at one of the fuel stations.

But I still like the place. People are friendly, though they do tend to stare at the "white man" a bit.

Same with BDLH, as soon as Im spotted its stare time or they know me smile and then stare lol

64 views in 2 hours and only 1 comment left from someone not even from Sukhothai. I'm guessing Very private folk it seems the Sukhothai lot are.

Not really a early indicator of things to come, some people living here do like to stay private, it happens all the time reminds me of way neighbours carry on and what they do in England. biggrin.png

Just because we live in Thailand doesn't mean we have to carry on like Thais. w00t.gif

I usually ignore other farang as you say unless they come up to me and ask something, only because most of them are tourist.

I have acquaintances in the village but they don't drink and are of different ages have different interests and are foreigners laugh.pngbiggrin.png

Sukhothai friends I have usually come up to the old city Muang Kao 12 km out for a beer with me, mainly I go to what I call ' Pub 7 ' because it's right adjacent to 7-11.

We sometimes meet in the First One restaurant in the park, and then go on to pub 7, if later than 7.00pm we go to Kacher Restaurant but they charge tourist rates.ermm.gif

If you want to pop up sometime PM me, I usually go for a beer at 5.30 or 6.00pm, your welcome. K

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

Not really a early indicator of things to come, some people living here do like to stay private, it happens all the time reminds me of way neighbours carry on and what they do in England. biggrin.png

Just because we live in Thailand doesn't mean we have to carry on like Thais. w00t.gif

I usually ignore other farang as you say unless they come up to me and ask something, only because most of them are tourist.

I have acquaintances in the village but they don't drink and are of different ages have different interests and are foreigners laugh.pngbiggrin.png

Sukhothai friends I have usually come up to the old city Muang Kao 12 km out for a beer with me, mainly I go to what I call ' Pub 7 ' because it's right adjacent to 7-11.

We sometimes meet in the First One restaurant in the park, and then go on to pub 7, if later than 7.00pm we go to Kacher Restaurant but they charge tourist rates.ermm.gif

If you want to pop up sometime PM me, I usually go for a beer at 5.30 or 6.00pm, your welcome. K

Yeah maybe not an early indicator.

Lots of window twitching neighbours and walking past each other in the street never speaking for years, yeah sounds like were in England after all.

Its unfair to rule out all tourists, I do entertain the pretty tourists they will always get my attention whistling.gif

I don't know First One restaurant. I think I know where you might have a beer at 'Pub 7' if im looking at the 7-Eleven theres the road that runs down the side, your on the other side of the road, not opposite near the market. I understand adjacent just directions can be a pain sometimes. So far your directions are great with the dentist.

The invite is more than welcome and I might be free later on if your about.

Take it easy

Darren.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

HI again,

there is also a bunch of us at khirimart that have a beer every day

and sort the world out.Darren do you have a bike as i cold do with a ride

budy.I will be back in a few months so would love to meet up for a few.

ITS true when i go to big c none of the farang talk but if you goto K-PHET

its a different story.most guys think their better and have more money,but as

for me i still work for my chang bill,but most are just under the fumb(wife).

they don't want guys like me telling them that they are getting ripped off or

being cheated on in more ways than one.then All i say their problem not mine

so let them be unhappy and get old ALONE..

• 4 months later...

I stay nearby in Uttaradit, if anyone wants to come here i'd be more than happy to be a guide :) pretty boring here, not a lot of farangs! I've been teaching here for about a year. I've yet to visit Sukhothai, seems like an interesting place with a lot of old temples. Anyway, give me a pm here if anyone is interested :)

I am a white person who lives 1-2 months a year in Wangthongdaeng, Sukhothai Province. I go to Muang Kao quite a bit, and spend most of my time there around Wat Mahathat or in an internet shop. Otherwise, I go to the Big C or the market in Sukhothai. However, I like Thai people a lot and do not see any need to spend time with just white people (farang). One point, however, is that I find the farangs (including Koreans, Japanese and Chinese) who visit the old city really nice. Many of them are families who like to bicycle around the ancient sites. This is a big improvement on the farangs who visit the sex tourist spots and places like Udonthani. I speak, read and write Thai.

crazy.gifshock1.gifw00t.gif

I am a white person who lives 1-2 months a year in Wangthongdaeng, Sukhothai Province. I go to Muang Kao quite a bit, and spend most of my time there around Wat Mahathat or in an internet shop. Otherwise, I go to the Big C or the market in Sukhothai. However, I like Thai people a lot and do not see any need to spend time with just white people (farang). One point, however, is that I find the farangs (including Koreans, Japanese and Chinese) who visit the old city really nice. Many of them are families who like to bicycle around the ancient sites. This is a big improvement on the farangs who visit the sex tourist spots and places like Udonthani. I speak, read and write Thai.

SO WHY

did you bring sex into it? no one else did.orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr are we all sex tourists in suks?

To indicate that compared to some other places in Thailand, Sukhothai is a superior place to live and visit as it has some of the best people doing both. The tourists are really nice people, and I have not seen the fighting and out-of-control drinking by farangs in the Sukhothai area. That makes it a really nice place to be.

You need to read the post with more care before drawing false conclusions. Thanks.

Edited by Stone Inscription 1

I'm currently studying Thai, I have two books writtin by Benjawan Poomsan Becker (beginner and intermediate). I'm at the stage where I can read and people understand it but I've hit a bit of a wall because i've finished those two books. I want to know how you learnt Thai and what resources you used, would be a great help to me :) cheers

Hi! Way back in the summer of 1984, I took an intensive Thai course (speaking, reading, writing) at the University of Wisconsin for three months. There was no text book. However, we listened to tapes at night for an hour of so repeating the sentences afterwards.

Once the classes ended, we got ready to attend an academic year at Chiang Mai University in which we got credits for taking courses that ranged from the Thai language, Thai culture, SEA history, wat architecture, and so on. I did two years of study at Chiang Mai University.

We were housed with Thai families in Chiang Mai city. I was the sole exception. I opted to stay with a rice-farming family about km. outside Chiang Mai about half-way between Bo Sang and Doi Saket. The chief problem for me was that the people spoke phasaa nua (northern Thai), and not Thai.

It was a wonderful experience.

Now that I am staying in Sukothai when in Thailand, I have noted that the local people have their own dialect too.

I'm currently studying Thai, I have two books writtin by Benjawan Poomsan Becker (beginner and intermediate). I'm at the stage where I can read and people understand it but I've hit a bit of a wall because i've finished those two books. I want to know how you learnt Thai and what resources you used, would be a great help to me smile.png cheers

You can be easy misled !! There are thaivisa Thai forums for you to ask in, and the Europeans that get to speak Thai, seem to turn a bit strange if you were to ask me, I like the script though.

As for saying more or less Northern Thai is not Thai is ridiculous it is a different dialect that's all and there are many dialects, Thai spoken in Bangkok is normally known as the official language or first language, better info here.

http://en.wikipedia....i/Thai_language

There are loads of books available and easily sourced, a Linguaphone course is very good.

I can't be bothered with learning it, know enough to get by and don't wish to know what Thais are talking about it's a different culture and I don't have a lot in common with it.

Goodluck with it.

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

I'm currently studying Thai, I have two books writtin by Benjawan Poomsan Becker (beginner and intermediate). I'm at the stage where I can read and people understand it but I've hit a bit of a wall because i've finished those two books. I want to know how you learnt Thai and what resources you used, would be a great help to me smile.png cheers

You can be easy misled !! There are thaivisa Thai forums for you to ask in, and the Europeans that get to speak Thai, seem to turn a bit strange if you were to ask me, I like the script though.

As for saying more or less Northern Thai is not Thai is ridiculous it is a different dialect that's all and there are many dialects, Thai spoken in Bangkok is normally known as the official language or first language, better info here.

There are loads of books available and easily sourced, a Linguaphone course is very good.

I can't be bothered with learning it, know enough to get by and don't wish to know what Thais are talking about it's a different culture and I don't have a lot in common with it.

Goodluck with it.

You might have noted that Northern Thai uses a different script than Thai. It seems to be based on the Mon script although you can look at articles by Hans Penth, among others, about kham muang.

Goodluck with it.

You might have noted that Northern Thai uses a different script than Thai. It seems to be based on the Mon script although you can look at articles by Hans Penth, among others, about kham muang.

Yep ! The History of Thai people, script and language is interesting too, and leads to a rich and diverse past.