Buying New Computer Advice

samtam

I'm planning on buying a new HP laptop 15 3/4" screen. Any recommendation of model. What are the key elements I should be looking for, (for speed and memory sizes)? Please excuse the virginal questions.

Also, I use the nlink True router which is a pain in the derriere, (cuts out, and sometimes reloads with True's on web page, which makes me lose info I've had on the last page etc). Any recommended router models, (to run three computers) by wifi.

Thanks.

^ I think the first question you should answer yourself and post here is: "What do you use a computer for ?" Just email and web surfin' and typing an occasional Document or do you use it for DTP / Gaming ??

Edited by MJCM

Thanks. I did look at this site.

It reminds me of when I went to buy an iron on Monday. The salesperson told me that a) was the smallest and d) was the largest.

I'll chuck a dart, as obviously for my requirements it doesn't much matter.

It's perhaps a question of too much choice and the difference so small between each.

(Sorry, I'm not trying to diminish your assistance, and perhaps my lack of knowledge for these things, irons, washing machines, and all ther household paraphenalia is beyond help.) Funnily enough there's quite an interesting programme on BBC Knowledge about selling mobile phones in UK by Mary Portas. As in that case too, no one really knows what they want from a phone, unless they're a tecky.

If you have the cash, go for something like ASUS, and go for Core i5, there are some bargains around - I would personally stick with Intel chips over AMD - just a personal preference, as they tend to use Nvidia graphics which seem better than AMD.

Again, as an earlier poster stated, it really depends what you want it to do - half of these new phones do more than the computer I owned 5 years ago!

Well thanks everyone. In the end I bought the HP Pavilion dv7-6b06TX, more for the screen size (17.3") vs. the dv6. It has Intel Core i7 and 8GB. About to set it up, so doubtless I shall be lost in that twilight zone for a few hours. None of the items on the HP Laptop website were available (with AMD Dual Core), but I think what I bought should be more than adequate. I wanted the bigger screen because I'm used to 21" with my desktop. All the Macs are nice, but lower Intel Cores, (i5? max), and of course they're pricier.

Well thanks everyone. In the end I bought the HP Pavilion dv7-6b06TX, more for the screen size (17.3") vs. the dv6. It has Intel Core i7 and 8GB. About to set it up, so doubtless I shall be lost in that twilight zone for a few hours. None of the items on the HP Laptop website were available (with AMD Dual Core), but I think what I bought should be more than adequate. I wanted the bigger screen because I'm used to 21" with my desktop. All the Macs are nice, but lower Intel Cores, (i5? max), and of course they're pricier.

How much did you pay?

I just bought a new computer from InvadeIt. I live in Chiangrai.; The process was totally painless as it was easy to communicate via email and phone and emails were handled within about 15 minutes. Prices were fractionally above those that can be got at pantip but freight by express to Chiangrai cost only 630 baht. Advise given was knowlegable and useful. The computer parts took two days to arrive at his shop and three days till I received it. I am sure I will get fgood support if there are any problems.

The Question is. Will I shop there again. The answer: I wish I could but this is probably the last computer I can afford to build, at least for another three or five years.

All the Macs are nice, but lower Intel Cores, (i5? max), and of course they're pricier.

Nope. available with i7 2.5Ghz Quad Cores.

Right on, but 13 in macbook pro available in i7 dual core only, while 15/17 in comes with i7 quad core. iMacs available in i5 quad core.

Just bought a HP ProBook 4530s (QG688PA#UUF) with Intel® Core™ i5-2430M (2.40 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache) and added more RAM to make it 8GB. Comes with 1 year warranty but got a HP Care Pack to make it a total of 3 years (additional US$ 121.456).

Right on, but 13 in macbook pro available in i7 dual core only, while 15/17 in comes with i7 quad core. iMacs available in i5 quad core.

Yeah and iMacs can be bought with upto a 3.4GHZ i7 quad core should u so want one.

Also, I use the nlink True router which is a pain in the derriere, (cuts out, and sometimes reloads with True's on web page, which makes me lose info I've had on the last page etc). Any recommended router models, (to run three computers) by wifi.

Any suggestions/recommendations?