Bangkok Immigration - What'S It Like Friday Afternoon For A Visa Extension

I need to extend a tourist visa entry by 30 days. It's a triple entry visa and I'm coming to the end of my first stay of 60 days.

From what I've read here on this forum I can do this at the Chaeng Watthana immigration office.

I'm thinking of going Friday afternoon although I've heard it can be very busy up there.

Does anyone know what it's like there in the afternoons, specifically this Friday afternoon ?

I've read lots of posts saying that people should go early in the morning. This isn't an option for me for various reasons - it's either the afternoon or I'll get a flight somewhere else for a day or two over the weekend. If I turn up there at around 1 or 2 pm will I be able to get my extension before they close for the day ?

I've never been there before so I could use all the information and advice that I can get.

Thanks !

wink.png No way to be sure....depends on the luck of the draw and how many are there that particular day.

Yes, would be best to be there early in morning at 8 a.m. for them to open.

If you can't do that for some reason, they will take a lunch break from 12:00 to 13:00.

It would be very wise to be there waiting in the queue at 13:00 when they open the doors.

You get a ticket and they give you a number for the wait queue. You wait until your number is called and displayed, then go to the numbered counter shown.

Extensions of visas is the most popular and busy group....so there can be a long waiting queue.

The process can be pretty quick...I've seen one applicant processed every 3 minutes when the desks are fully staffed.

However, it's entirely possible you will have number 135 (for example) and you will see they are on number 50 when you enter.

Just see how many numbers there are for you to wait....then multiply that by (say) 4 minutes per person....and you will know how long you'll be waiting. One Monday I waited 6 hours (1 hour lunch break included in that time).

Those who were there in the morning (before the noon lunch break) and are still waiting will have priority,

(It goes strictly by queue ticket order).

There are food/coffee shops downstairs if you have a long wait.

If there is anyway to do it....it is highly recommended to get there early in the morning and get that queue number as early as you can.

Actually Monday is usually the busiest day...because they are closed on Sat. and Sun.

Good luck.

smile.png

Mondays and Fridays can be very crowded because of people waiting until the end of the week to get some document processed which expires on the weekend or running in on Monday because the document expired over the weekend. Plus, on Friday afternoon after reopening from the 12-1pm lunch break, only a few hours exist before they close for the weekend. But with this being said, it always a crap shoot when going to Bangkok Immigration in terms of just how busy it will be. Good luck.

As an update for anyone else interested in this subject I arrived at the Immigration building at 13:10 and walked out with my visa extension 40 minutes later at 13:50.

I spent more time in the taxis going there and back than I did in the immigration building. I had all the correct documentation and copies required before I went which probably helped me save a few minutes.

What documentation did you need, exactly? I'm going tomorrow, and I've read that I need the following:

- passport w/ departure card

- copy of passport photo page

- copy of visa page

- 2 passport photos

- 1,900 baht

Is there anything I am missing?