Movies At The Avenue For 80 Baht Any Weekday.

sharky1

"Dozens" of cinemas that could seat "thousands of people"???

Cinemas used to be a lot bigger than they are now. Even so, a capacity for around 1.000 was BIG anywhere in the world. Thousands - as in at least 2.000 - and by the dozen?

These were really huge places, and there were indeed at least a couple of dozen of them dotted around town, some in better condition than others and some larger than others naturally. 1000 is only 20 rows of 50 people, so yes it was thousands, easily.

I miss those cinemas.

I never saw those except in very unique venues. I do remember the 1.000 to 1.500 ones were the rule, not the exception and I agree they were great places.

I never saw those except in very unique venues. I do remember the 1.000 to 1.500 ones were the rule, not the exception and I agree they were great places.

Downtown the really big ones were mostly along or near Recto/Quezon, but there were many others dotted around in the outer parts of town. The newer ones in the posh areas tended to be smaller of course, with the trend towards multiple screen complexes, though still a decent size by most standards. Some cinemas these days seem to be barely larger than an average living room.

Happy days.

Downtown the really big ones were mostly along or near Recto/Quezon, but there were many others dotted around in the outer parts of town. The newer ones in the posh areas tended to be smaller of course, with the trend towards multiple screen complexes, though still a decent size by most standards. Some cinemas these days seem to be barely larger than an average living room.

Happy days.

Having been to many cinema complexes in PI I can tell you they are generally larger but the acoustics is very bad. Most are like giant concrete canyons with no carpet. The seats are covered in vinyl. The armrests don't move and the seats are smaller.