Teacher'S License At The Moment On Ice?

I've just heard from a Thai school coordinator dealing with visa and work permit issues for foreigners, that those being on a Non-B now with a legal work permit can continue working here, without any testing or having a teacher's license.

Has anybody head anything about that yet? I'm just wondering if that's true. Wouldn't be that bad for many of us.

Any idea?

Let's hope the best, f........ the rest.

wai.gif (orget)

Elaborate please. Do you mean that they can continue for ever or only until the work permit expires?

If the latter then everyone already knew that.

Nothing is forever, I guess.

Once having a Non-B and a work permit, you'll always get a new waver letter, even without a degree in education.

That's coming from a Thai coordinator, not yet confirmed from anybody else. Hope it's true. wai.gif

From what I know the waver letter is only good for two years. When the two years are up, the school will need to re-apply for a new waver letter. It is a tiresome process but it is still in effect. I guess it is all down to your local work permit office/Immigration office if they want to cause a fuss over the teacher licence paper work. Last year I had the letter from the local Ed.department plus an actual stamped work permit with dates but when I and my two friends with the same docs went to the immigration office we were refused the visa stamps. We got the waver letters from BKK then all good.

As far as I know the waver letter has nothing to do with Immigration but with the Labour office.

As far as I know the waver letter has nothing to do with Immigration but with the Labour office.

Please let me add to your knowledge then.

ORDER OF THE IMMIGRATION BUREAU No. 305/2551 Supporting Documents for Consideration of an Alien’s Application for a Temporary Stay in the Kingdom of Thailand

http://www.immigrati...305-2551_en.pdf

And what you already knew. WP.1 and WP.5

http://wp.doe.go.th/...rm/form_tt1.pdf

http://wp.doe.go.th/...rm/form_tt5.pdf

BTW, I have never seen a waiver letter myself (my school handles the paperwork for me), but I seem to be on my third one at the same school! The only upgrade I have done was to take the Culture Course about 3 years ago.

When you applied for a teacher license or provisional teaching permit/ waiver from The Teachers' Council of Thailand, you can check the status online. Use Google Chrome to get it translated in English when needed.

http://www.ksp.or.th...ense_search.php

• Like 1

^ Thanks for the link! I can read enough Thai to make out a simple form like that. The top line is for at Thai ID number, the second line is for a passport number and the third asks for name and surname. If you use the third line, be sure to type in all CAPS!

It looks like I'm good to April 19th, 2014. smile.png

^ Thanks for the link! I can read enough Thai to make out a simple form like that. The top line is for at Thai ID number, the second line is for a passport number and the third asks for name and surname. If you use the third line, be sure to type in all CAPS!

It looks like I'm good to April 19th, 2014. smile.png

You're welcome.

I'm good until 24 November 2016. biggrin.png

• 2 weeks later...
Correct, the waiver is also an immigration requirement. Although only for teaching at normal schools. For teaching at Language schools and universities one does not need a teaching license or waiver.

Can somebody tell me how the labor department defines "normal school" and "language school"? The latter seems self-explanatory but I don't like operating on assumptions. Thanks.

Correct, the waiver is also an immigration requirement. Although only for teaching at normal schools. For teaching at Language schools and universities one does not need a teaching license or waiver.

Can somebody tell me how the labor department defines "normal school" and "language school"? The latter seems self-explanatory but I don't like operating on assumptions. Thanks.

The MoE categorizes schools as either:

1. normal private and government schools [15/1] IE Formal education schools

2. language schools [15/2]

3. free/merit [15/3]

I guess the labour department also uses these categories.

Edited by Loaded

Check out the links in post #5.

• 3 weeks later...

BTW, I have never seen a waiver letter myself (my school handles the paperwork for me), but I seem to be on my third one at the same school! The only upgrade I have done was to take the Culture Course about 3 years ago.

When you applied for a teacher license or provisional teaching permit/ waiver from The Teachers' Council of Thailand, you can check the status online. Use Google Chrome to get it translated in English when needed.

http://www.ksp.or.th...ense_search.php

I put in my passport number and full name but it dosent work; any hints? i cant read thai; thanks