Pimp My Versys

Ok chaps ( and chapettes).... thinking hard about getting a new Versys... in fact will hire one this weekend to see if its me.....

Cant go past the price and the Kawasaki dealer on Ramhankaeng ( sp ?) today seemed to have plenty of stock... why did they have brand new ducati 1098 wrapped in plastic there by the way ??

Ok, want to do a few basic things to it so interested in knowing what others have done and recommend.. obviously sports exhaust is on the list but anything else folks have added or done that improve performance/ handling within boundaries of reasonableness..( depleted uranium camshaft is probably a touch overkill.) would be much appreciated

Not looking to "bling" the bike so to speak but more additions that make sense from riding / handling point of view.

Recommendations on type of sports exhaust also appreciated... Im not much convinced with two brothers stuff...( I think one of them must be an evil half brother who when its his shift turns out less than stellar quality.)

Thanks in advance....

Monty

Ditch the stock tires (which reviewers have described as "wooden") and upgrade the brake pads. Makes a WORLD of difference! Stock suspension is SOOOOO much better than what you find on the Ninja 650R and ER6n, but can still be improved upon.

The Versys is a surprisingly fun bike and an unbeatable value here in Thailand- at first glance it doesn't look like a very appealing bike, but take one for a spin and I think you will be pleasantly surprised! I know I was!

Ride on!

Tony

That Ducati 1098 belongs to a friend who works there, that's all i can say. One of the guys who works there also had an 848 and the store owns 2010 ZX10R which they had fully kitted out for the track, they intend to race in Thailand's superbike rounds, i have forgotten the name for the event lol :D

I did it in this order :

throw those dunlops in the bin ,get pirellis ASAP

get the seat customised to your liking (makes a big differnce on longer distances )

i added some lights on mine for extra night time visibility but use with caution as flashing lights

is a grey area with da Police ;)

http://vimeo.com/40219632

also got full givi set of travel boxes to stick on ,just need to order the racks cause my ninja ones are a totally differnt fit

I did it in this order :

get the seat customised to your liking (makes a big differnce on longer distances )

i added some lights on mine for extra night time visibility but use with caution as flashing lights

is a grey area with da Police wink.png

[media=]

[/media]

also got full givi set of travel boxes to stick on ,just need to order the racks cause my ninja ones are a totally differnt fit

MhuOC9.jpg

considered a taller windscreen as well but i dont really like the look of oversized windscreens on bikes ,probably comfortable though.....

Edited by YipYipYa123

I did it in this order :

is a grey area with da Police wink.png

[media=]

[/media]

MhuOC9.jpg

considered a taller windscreen as well but i dont really like the look of oversized windscreens on bikes ,probably comfortable though.....

As hot as it's been lately I took my screen off so I could get more airflow. Will only put it back on for long highway rides during the hot season.

I have an ER6n, which I believe has the same engine as the Versys. I added a Power Commander V, AutoTune and LCD200, to mointor everything. I was able to create a fuel map that both vastly improved performance and gave me substantially greater fuel efficiency. Along with different brake pads, you might also want to consider steel braided brake lines for better braking perfomance. Hel makes them for your bike. I'll tell you, though, putting them on an ABS bike is a real pain. There are seven brakelines and the ABS unit is right at the heart of the frame.

By the way, I am very happy with my Scorpion exhaust. It has a nice sound. After reading about all the problems with the Two Brothers exhaust and doing more research, the thing that sold me was the stainless steel packing (instead of fiberglass), which is supposed to be lifetime instead of a couple of years.

Cheers.

Edited by TongueThaied

If you don't mind second hand there's a very nice one for sale in Chiang Mai whistling.gif

280k with stone chipped damaged paint...whistling.gif

best of luck ....

Well, it has been ridden, not many bikes don't get the odd stone chip here and there. Better to be honest in the description than say everything is 100% perfect and waste peoples time.

Quite a lot of interest so far so the luck does appear to be on my side for once.

Thanks for your .... erm .... support?

If you don't mind second hand there's a very nice one for sale in Chiang Mai whistling.gif

best of luck ....

It's a beautiful bike and a couple little chips can easily be touched up, but have to agree that 280k is a bit steep for a bike that can be bought new for 285k. Also, you didn't mention the mileage in your ad; that's something prospective buyers will probably want to know.

I realize you put a lot of money into it, but generally speaking most mods usually don't add significantly to the resale value of most vehicles. That said, if someone's looking for a Versys with Givi panniers, Givi screen, Givi crash bars, near new Pirellii Scorpion Trails, a Hyperpro shock and a stunning white paint job, then this is the perfect bike.

Question about the Hyperpro shock- you mention you installed it to lower the ride height. I assume therefore that it's not a a Versys shock, or it's a height adjustable shock? From the pic it doesn't LOOK height adjustable, but maybe it is? Did you lower the front to match the drop in the rear? I assume the stock shock will be included in the bike?

Best of luck with the sale!

T

best of luck ....

It's a beautiful bike and a couple little chips can easily be touched up, but have to agree that 280k is a bit steep for a bike that can be bought new for 285k. Also, you didn't mention the mileage in your ad; that's something prospective buyers will probably want to know.

15,630km in the ad if anyone need glasses rolleyes.gif

it does look like a lovely bike ,but 5k differnce would sway me in the direction of a brand new one than a 1 year old one

with some nice mods

Ok so to summarise ( and hopefully deflect another BigBikeBKK vs Wana bun fight)

Here is hot list

1) Ditch the Dunlop's for pirellis

2) Sports exhaust.. scorpion brand recommended.. any others ?

3) Upgrade brake pads... recommendations ??

4) Givi Box.. assume I can get this from dealer as added option ?

5) Power commander

6) new sets levers and maybe adjustable rearsets... these are my suggestion just to show im not completely hopeless

7) fluffy dice for rearview mirror

8) "What would Jesus Do" stickers for everywhere on the bike

Of course 7) and 8) are my futile attempt at humour.. the fluffy dice would be located hanging off the side mirrors of course.

Covers it for starters ???

Thanks to everyone for your help

To the poster who had the bike for sale in CM.. thanks its a lovely looking bike but at 5K diff I will buy new. good luck with sale.

rgds Monty

best of luck ....

15,630km in the ad if anyone need glasses rolleyes.gif

it does look like a lovely bike ,but 5k differnce would sway me in the direction of a brand new one than a 1 year old one

with some nice mods

The original ad on GT-Rider was missing the mileage. Thought I'd let him know :) Troll on! ^_^v

Ok so to summarise ( and hopefully deflect another BigBikeBKK vs Wana bun fight)

Here is hot list

I've been really happy with my Arrow slip on- very tough and well made. Has survived dirt, floods, track and tours without complaint-

July7VersysBoDin2SSR.jpg

Personally I'm a big fan of EBC HH Sintered Pads. They last a long time and provide much better bite and feedback than the stock pads.

To each their own, but dam_n those Givi panniers make her arse big! ;) Good luck squeezing through traffic with those on...

5) Power commander

+1 (add an autotune if you don't have a tuner nearby)

6) new sets levers and maybe adjustable rearsets... these are my suggestion just to show im not completely hopeless

Nothing wrong with stock levers, they're adjustable and cheap, but Pazzos do look the business thumbsup.gif

LMAO! cheesy.gif

FACEPALM! clap2.gif

Of course 7) and 8) are my futile attempt at humour.. the fluffy dice would be located hanging off the side mirrors of course.

To the poster who had the bike for sale in CM.. thanks its a lovely looking bike but at 5K diff I will buy new. good luck with sale.

rgds Monty

One other thing I'd add is some crash bars to protect the engine case, brake and shift pedals, especially if you plan to take the bike off-road. Drop a bike this heavy and things do break...

The Versys is a good bike but lacking in brake and suspension department. As posted the stock suspension is better than the ER, but still could do with improving and fine tuning to suit your weight.

The subject of brake improvement has been posted. If this does not suit your needs or expectations, then the next step would be 4 pot radial calipers and a Nissin radial MC.

Overkill perhaps but much better feel and as they say up to you. I now have all the parts in hand to do this and waiting to get into Westfield Pattaya to make up the stainless lines for the ABS plumbing

Kawi saw fit to equip the Versys with one functional cartridge fork leg and a pogo stick on the other side. It is a simple matter to fit the missing parts that the Accountants saw fit not to include, however be prepared to revalve the cartridges to suit your weight, and use different fork oil. See my posts on GT Rider on this subject

The rear shock could do with some improvement and there are a lot of off the shelf solutions. Beware of progressive spring rates on the canned solution, and be sure that the one supplied suits your weight and riding sytle. IMHO the Hyperpro spring for example is not suitable for a single rider of my 78 Kg weight

Again, see my posts on GT Rider regarding fitting an R-1 shock to the Verysys

All in all the Versys is a good bike. It can be a much better bike with a bit of knowledge and work.

Enjoy

Here is hot list

I've been really happy with my Arrow slip on- very tough and well made. Has survived dirt, floods, track and tours without complaint-

July7VersysBoDin2SSR.jpg

Personally I'm a big fan of EBC HH Sintered Pads. They last a long time and provide much better bite and feedback than the stock pads.

To each their own, but dam_n those Givi panniers make her arse big! wink.png Good luck squeezing through traffic with those on...

5) Power commander

+1 (add an autotune if you don't have a tuner nearby)

Nothing wrong with stock levers, they're adjustable and cheap, but Pazzos do look the business thumbsup.gif

LMAO! cheesy.gif

FACEPALM! clap2.gif

rgds Monty

One other thing I'd add is some crash bars to protect the engine case, brake and shift pedals, especially if you plan to take the bike off-road. Drop a bike this heavy and things do break...

Thanks tony.. now to go and get the bike sorted at Kawasaki....

but first a short prayer

Lord give me the strength to not be swayed at the last moment by a ZR10

Lead me not to temptation of beautiful, unbridled horsepower but deliver me a bike that is practical for what I want

For once in my life give me strength and conviction to resist swinging a leg over something that is really hot

Give me this day my daily Versys and deliver those who have helped thus far ,safe and fulfilling journey

Amen

Can you just picture what a pain in the butt I will be when i actually get it.. ha

Cheers and thanks again to all

A power Commander V with AutoTune is nice, but it seems few people add the LCD200 because they are so damned expensive. But the amount of real time feedback the thing provides is awesome. Dynojet really should incorporate it all as a kit instead if making it seem like an after-thought add on.

I also endorse EBC HH sintered pads. With the steel lines, I felt quite a difference in braking response.

DSB is correct about auxiliary lights making a difference with visibility. I have had fewer "asshol_e encounters" with oncoming motorists trying to pass. Without the lights I suspect you just look like another puttering Honda 125, instead of something blastin toward them at 140. I installed Clearwater LED Lights. Very well made and functional. Some think them a little expensive, but you get what you pay for and Glenn will do his "duty" to see that they are packed for shipment to Thailand in a way that should get them under the radar.

Also, get a high quality plate flipper. I f'ing love mine. I run red lights with impunity. I am on my second one. The first time, I went cheap and purchased one that cost about $59 and used a solenoid. The problem with it, was that it did not lock down so that it would flip back up when I hit a bump. I replaced it with one made by the Brits and costing over $200. But it uses a servo and is awesome -- very well made. I flip it whenever I am engaging in behaviors that may involve me NOT being identified. It also has a red LED that lets you know when it is flipped. I used an handlebar mounted PMC switch -- much nicer than the one supplied.

The guy that has the company has offered a group buy to us in Thailand. But since I already have it, I have never pursued it. If anyone is interested you can pm me and I'll give you the details. With a plate flipper, you can scream past all cameras with impunity, middle finger high in the sky.

By the way, back when I was in Alaska, I had a vanity plate. My license number was "JESUS." I had the "Evolution Fish" stuck right next to it (you know the one, two fish with feet fuc_king). I thought it was quite a kick until I noticed I was constantly being pulled over by cops who, by their snide remarks, were obviously Jesus freaks. After the DUII, I decided to get rid of it. You can slap a Christian, but you can't make him turn the other cheek.

Edited by TongueThaied

A power Commander V with AutoTune is nice, but it seems few people add the LCD200 because they are so damned expensive. But the amount of real time feedback the thing provides is awesome. Dynojet really should incorporate it all as a kit instead if making it seem like an after-thought add on.

I also endorse EBC HH sintered pads. With the steel lines, I felt quite a difference in braking response.

DSB is correct about auxiliary lights making a difference with visibility. I have had fewer "asshol_e encounters" with oncoming motorists trying to pass. Without the lights I suspect you just look like another puttering Honda 125, instead of something blastin toward them at 140. I installed Clearwater LED Lights. Very well made and functional. Some think them a little expensive, but you get what you pay for and Glenn will do his "duty" to see that they are packed for shipment to Thailand in a way that should get them under the radar.

Also, get a high quality plate flipper. I f'ing love mine. I run red lights with impunity. I am on my second one. The first time, I went cheap and purchased one that cost about $59 and used a solenoid. The problem with it, was that it did not lock down so that it would flip back up when I hit a bump. I replaced it with one made by the Brits and costing over $200. But it uses a servo and is awesome -- very well made. I flip it whenever I am engaging in behaviors that may involve me NOT being identified. It also has a red LED that lets you know when it is flipped. I used an handlebar mounted PMC switch -- much nicer than the one supplied.

The guy that has the company has offered a group buy to us in Thailand. But since I already have it, I have never pursued it. If anyone is interested you can pm me and I'll give you the details. With a plate flipper, you can scream past all cameras with impunity, middle finger high in the sky.

LOLZ, that plate flipper thing you've got is hilarious! cheesy.gif

Only ever seen that in Cannonball Express w00t.gif

cannonball_run_2-3.jpg

I've never seen anyone but you use one in real life.

That said, for some odd reason I've never had a ticket sent to me in the mail and on the rare occasion when I've gotten caught in a speed trap the fines are always so small that a plate flipper, while a fun conversation piece, hardly seems worth it.

LOLZ, that plate flipper thing you've got is hilarious! cheesy.gif

Only ever seen that in Cannonball Express w00t.gif

cannonball_run_2-3.jpg

I've never seen anyone but you use one in real life.

That said, for some odd reason I've never had a ticket sent to me in the mail and on the rare occasion when I've gotten caught in a speed trap the fines are always so small that a plate flipper, while a fun conversation piece, hardly seems worth it.

I've received two tickets in the mail from speed cameras, one in my truck (on 32 just north of BKK) and the other on my bike (somewhere south of Chiangrai). That said, you are absolutely right that the small amounts of the fines here can't possibly justify the cost. But I can't help it, I just love the thing! And, I also no longer ever wait for red lights when there is no traffic, but that camera is up there plain as day, staring me in the face. I just flip the plate and go. I am thinking they have a lot of pictures of me somewhere. (-:

I was thinking about this bike for my Barn untill on another link I heard what abismaol Kpl riders were getting. Less than my car

You're probably better off with a Honda Wave then.. :)

It depends on how you ride it too, I usually get 15.5 kpl but i heave heard others getting 20+ .... The more fun youre having, the worse he mileage... probably true for your car too.

I have an ER6n, which I believe has the same engine as the Versys. I added a Power Commander V, AutoTune and LCD200, to mointor everything. I was able to create a fuel map that both vastly improved performance and gave me substantially greater fuel efficiency. Along with different brake pads, you might also want to consider steel braided brake lines for better braking perfomance. Hel makes them for your bike. I'll tell you, though, putting them on an ABS bike is a real pain. There are seven brakelines and the ABS unit is right at the heart of the frame.

By the way, I am very happy with my Scorpion exhaust. It has a nice sound. After reading about all the problems with the Two Brothers exhaust and doing more research, the thing that sold me was the stainless steel packing (instead of fiberglass), which is supposed to be lifetime instead of a couple of years.

Cheers.

I would like to know more about the pcV system - how much was that total, including exhaust? I have been thinking about getting this but was put off by a few factors

- the high cost

- rumors that gas mileage will absolutely go down the toilet if you increase power

- unknown how much power the bike will really gain as there seem to be no dyno charts on the internet. I figured if there was a substantial, worth-while increase then Dynojet would probably put up their own charts? I mean I would if I wanted to sell a product like that.

How did you create your gas saving performance enhancing fuel map?

I am doing the Autotune procedure on my PCV now.

There is no way around the fact that if you want more power then you need to burn more fuel. OTOH if smooth running with no dead spots are your goal then the PC can do that as well

It all depends on the fuel map you use. In my case I really do not give a toss about the minimal increase in fuel consumption, and am going for max power throught the rev range.

You could have a happy medium and lean it out at crusisng speeds, then more fuel at WFO. For example 13.6:1 AFR (Air Fuel Ratio) at 20% throttle and 5-6000 rpm and 13.1 at 75% throttle

"Up to you" and tune it "as you wish"

FYI - ALL fuel computers, piggy back especially create more power, although marginally and generally without engine modifications by adding more fuel. This results in a rich fuel mixture that makes your fuel economy go down, sometimes very little, sometimes a lot. It is almost impossible to create a really good fuel map without a dyno because you can't put a real world load on the engine, edit fuel map, retest, view results, make changes again, retest, etc - it's really a interesting science and a lot of people like playing with them; more of a toy in my mind. The auto tune feature works rather well with some models of piggy back computers but it's results are pretty limited, you really need a dyno to create a good fuel map. There are many many performance forums on the internet discussing this topic. Auto tune starts with taking a measurement of your current running then just starts adding fuel, generally right before the engine starts to flood out.

There is a reason you have to remove or bypass the Oxygen Sensor when installing these systems. It is because your running too rich (to much fuel) most of the time and what will happen is the factory computer will start to mess with the spark timing to compensate which generally results in pinging, lower performance, lots of extra fuel use and in most cases destroys the O2 sensor - also can destroy the exhaust over time because the extra fuel that isn't burned on most occasions eats out the exhaust because it is acidic in nature when vaporized, heated and not burned in the combustion process.

Most of these systems, I personally would say all of them produce little results BUT they can be fun to play with and most people will say they do work but can't prove anything. It is more of a seat of the pants power increase thats all in your mind, my opinion anyway. As all the disclaimers say, "results will vary." This is because manufactures of the piggy back computers know that just the piggy back computer alone will make little to no difference in performance. You want more performance you have to do a lot more than change exhaust, air filter and add piggy back computer.

If one really thinks logically about it. If you changed most of these things you might gain 5-7 horse power and that is not at the rear wheel but rather just the crank especially on a motorcycle. That gain will cost you a lot of money and have little impact on performance. You want more performance, you need to overbore the engine, replace the pistons, etc. Nothing replaces displacement with the exception of turbo charging or supercharging in 99% of most cases. Unless you are adding 20hp and 10lbs of torque or more you will notice little to no difference on bigger bikes and pretty much nothing on a car or truck.

Edited by commande

I beg to disagree as this is not how PC Autotuner works

The PC Autotune logs AFR under real world loaded conditions and then suggests a trim to bring the AFR to your specified ratio. It does not change the fuel/ignition maps on its own. This specified ratio can be what ever custom map you enter or a canned map based on variables such as pipe, air filter etc.

It is difficult to imagine any more accurate method than datalogging under actual riding conditions, as opposed to the operator dependent inertia dyno using the test, fiddle, retest, repeat procedure. The PC-V with Autotuner will give you an exact AFR of 13.1 under loaded conditions (specific to your weight) at all RPM and throttle position - what can be more accurate than that?

My personal experience, and from what I have read, suggests that a properly run bike on PC Autotuner is equal to or better than what a good operator can achieve a dyno. This is done at a lower cost, quicker, something that a savy Owner can easily do. Here in CM there is no dyno, and more importantly if there was one, it would need someone who really knows what they are doing.

When you start changing engine internals is where the Autotuner really shines as it is virtually idiotproof.

The Lambda sensor is in fact removed and by-passed so the factory ECU cannot fiddle with the new map, and not because you are running too rich. If it is too rich you have the wrong map and need to go through the Autotune procedure

Does it make a significant amount more power? 7 Hp on a Versys is 10% and IMHO a significant increase. That this is due to the Autouner and PCV alone is questionable, but believable in conjunction with a pipe and air filter/air box mods.

What is not debatable is that one can make the bike run better than the factory as one is not constrained by emissions or noise regulations. On a stock bike the descerning rider will see smoother running and no dead spots in throttle response. On a slightly modified bike it is far more noticable and almost a given when one starts increasing air flow through the engine.

Internal engine mods demand changes to the ECU

• Like 1

Thanks again for all the useful comments.. really helpful.

I hired one out today and zoomed around Pattaya/ Silver Lake/ bang saray.. while its not Chaing mai 118/120 and samoeng loop at least got a good feel for it.

Let me say im just SO DISAPPOINTED...

So disappointed as i havent bloody got one earlier than this.

First impressions... love the very upright seating position . i had done allot of riding on my fazer in CM with folks who drive tall bikes : BMW F650 and F800; and always wondered why they didn't seem to have work the corners... figured it out toady or at least this is my theory.. the taller or higher your center of gravity the more that subtle differnetial foot peg pressure makes a difference.. I can change lanes on the V with just using foot peg pressure.. the lower the centre of gravity the more you have to meld countersteering and peg weighting. Either way agree or disagree with my theory I found i could throw the V around to the point where it was just sheer fun. Of course the fazer is a heavy big bike and probably harder to throw around but believe the upright seating position and manoeuvrability of the V is just excellent

Of course being 193 cm or for those metrically impaired 6'3" high the seat position is just great and excellent visibility as my head is above most car roofs.

Did notice allot of wind buffeting but suspect that is due to the small cosmetic only screen this bike has on. note to self.. order the touring screen

Brakes.. yes they are Ok but are a bit dead in feel so the recommended pads will go in.

Engine.. I had ridden a Ninja 650 before and wasn't impressed with the engine or rather the torque/ power curve.. seemed to be all over the place and not great sweet spot.. in the V they have done a great job of creating a real sweet spot down low.. between 4000 and 6000 revs she pulls like a train even in 5th.. very impressed with responsiveness.

I pulled into the Kawasaki dealer on Sukhumvit Mylton Kawasaki I think and looked at new models. the yellow and black is nice but I think Ill go the black with the gel seat and guards and touring screen... ( Id have to buy a complete new line of outfits if I went with the yellow.. ha)

asked the guy there what was delivery time.. he said 1 hour.... told him with complete deadpan face that he needed to sharpen his service and not make good common place folks like myself wait that long... we both had a chuckle.

Which brings me to the sorepoint about this and its to all of you.... while i thanked your for your input I am indeed quite appalled that none of you didn't earlier on make a better representation of just how good this bike is.

I hope your all ashamed of yourselves... early to bed with the lot of you.. go on.. no arguments.. off you go.

Didn't place an order with the guy as want to work out best place to buy.. any feedback before you tuck teddy in is permitted...

Please make sure any dealer site you recommend does have a supply of fluffy dice

Fun day...you can just imagine how bored my girlfriend will be tonight... ""honey. and another thing about the bike... her thinking to herself "If he mentions it one more time Ill kill him"