webfact

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Protest all they want - just don't BURN DOWN ANY DAMNED BUILDINGS

Funny how everybody remembers the structural damage rather than the bullet-riddled corpses. There was Facebook memorial page for CentralWorld. Good that BKK-ers have got their priorities right.

Actually quite common here. Thais value possessions more than life.

Value shopping more than life anyway.

I would have thought it shifting away with the more frequent and more vocal displeasure, including Thida's veiled threat to the PTP, from their crucial Red Shirts. Add in the dozen Red Shirt Leaders who are Pheu Thai MP's and are being pressured to pull from the main PTP platform of amnesty for all and no change in Art. 112 and populist promises failure, etc. coupled with three successive losses in recent by-elections.

There's no shortage of PTP disunity and the "tides of power" is going out, not coming in.

The Red Shirts and rights groups have called on the new government, led by Thaksin's sister Yingluck, to prosecute soldiers and officials responsible for causing the deaths and injuries, many to unarmed demonstrators.

"We have to seek justice otherwise the use of force to crackdown on protesters may happen again," Red Shirt leader Thida Thavorseth said Friday.

One would think Thida was not particularly enamored nor receptive to fugitive ex-PM Thaksin's video-link reply to "her" Red masses "seeking justice":

"Let's put unity before justice"

sort of sets the stage for the necessity to have to use force to crackdown on protesters.... again.

Edited by Buchholz

veena T.@veen_NT

Red shirts have done their duty and now it's the end of the road, says Thaksin. via @jin_nation

Nothing like distancing yourself from all the promises you've made. A diplomatic way of saying, 'Cheers for your help. No 300 baht for you lot!'

Did thaksin say that? Does that mean its over?

Doubtful for that megalomaniac.

Interesting to look at where the situation seems to be heading.

Thaksin fertislied the Red Shirt movement with currency over the years with one aim - getting his sympathisers into govermnment for his own rewards.

Now that the movement has grown arms and legs and has a "real red" at the helm, Tida the communist and others have a different agenda to the PTP.

The former leaders have shown their true colours and are now feeding at the trough of the other amart. These people are now being rejected by the Red Shirt grass roots.

Thaksin and Yingluck are now walking on eggshells. Attempting to diffuse the red shirt movement, tell them that their work is done, reconciliation is the way forwards. Unfortunately his plan for reconciliation includes the amnesty of one Thaksin Shinawatra (surprise, surprise) and that amnesty can only come if it sneaks in under the radar of those guilty of killing others.

More and more we are seeing the real Red Shirt views - execute those responsible for red shirt deaths, make every moo baan, tambon and changwat red, power to the people.

Here the PTP and UDD (plus friends) will diverge and go their own way.

If the Thai curiculum was comprehensive enough to teach people history, they would see the shades of Naziism and Communism. Unfortunately they will probably learn the hard way.

• Like 1

A picture is worth a thousand words we are told. This particular image left me speechless,.

Do we now see the true face of the Red Shirt movement appearing led by a despotic character who resides outside of the Kingdom.

Graphic image courtesy of http://www.facebook....35060922&type=1

560483_456908524323020_149529535060922_1856479_79857446_n.jpg

Do you actually think they have any idea what the meaning of a swastika is? Most Thais I speak to had no history lessons of any real sort. When you ask the average Thai with a high school education (much less without!) what they know about world war II, they stare at you. Have you ever asked a Thai to point out Poland, or Germany on a map? Have you ever asked a Thai what they know about the Third Reich?

The UDD is not the most violent political movement in Thailand.

On a national scale, which political movement is more violent?

The Royal Thai Army

By international standards, they are complete pussycats.

Try and conduct your 2-month long "protest" in Piccadilly Circus and you'll soon start appreciating them a bit more.

The UDD is not the most violent political movement in Thailand.

On a national scale, which political movement is more violent?

The Royal Thai Army

Try and conduct your 2-month long "protest" in Piccadilly Circus and you'll soon start appreciating them a bit more.

Even I doubt that Abhisits Oxford chum, Dave, would deploy snipers for crowd control so if it came down to it I'd pick Piccadilly Circus but this is about Thailand not the UK.

Now that we've had our communal sob-fest for all the poor people killed in 2010, maybe its time for a reminder of what the attitude was in April 2010.

"RPG fired at jet fuel depot in Pathum Thani

Published on April 21, 2010

Culprits fired a rocket propelled grenade to PTT's jet fuel depot in Pathum Thani's Lumlukka district on Wednesday morning.

Police believed the attack was an attempt to stage a sabotage in the country.

Police found the RPG's components at the depots.

The attack caused a hole at the T410D depot which contained 22 million liters of oil. Luckily, officials could extinguish a small fire and sealed the hole in time before the fire extended."

If that attack had been successful, how many would have died?

Edited by OzMick

Even I doubt that Abhisits Oxford chum, Dave, would deploy snipers for crowd control so if it came down to it I'd pick Piccadilly Circus but this is about Thailand not the UK.

That would probably depend on whether the protesters had their own little militia taking pot shots at the police.

Sent from my shoe phone

That would be "armed crowd control" or are we still peddling the peaceful protester line.

• Like 2

Perhaps those folk will be at the station on their return to make sure they dont get off ?

I saw the 2 red shirt supporters leaving from Surat railway station yesterday. There must have been 100 people cheering and waving them goodbye, strangely none of them were wearing red shirts.

Jean Charles de Menezes was shot in the head seven times by the UK authorities, not far from Piccadilly Circus, for looking like a suspect. He wasn't armed. This is an example of how seriously they are capable of dealing with people they think pose a threat. Your belief that these same authorities would refrain from using deadly force if faced with protesters armed in the way the red shirts were, is delusional.

I suggest you all read today's column by Voranai Vanijaka in "The Other Newspaper". He lays out the entire sordid affair clearly. Its all gray areas. Both sides are right - and both sides are wrong. The problem is that the TV red shirts - Phi, and others, refuse to see that their "side" is wrong in any degree, while the TV yellow shirts see everything the red shirts do as evil and having a hidden agenda from Thaksin. Therein lies the problem No compromise means no progress.

The army killed red shirts - yes

The red shirts killed army - yes

Thaksin paid red shirts - yes

The army used live ammunition and killed innocents - yes

The red shirts fired RPG rounds and used human shields and parked NGV trucks near residential areas - yes

The yellow shirts invaded the airport and forced its closure - yes

The red shirts invaded a meeting of world leaders and forced its closure - yes

The red shirts burned down lots of buildings and invaded a hospital - yes

All these things happened. Not just some of them. ALL are at fault. ALL need to try to restore a sense of balance. I actually think Thaksin understands that. It seems the TV red shirts do not, TV Yellow shirts, and anyone else who constantly refuses to view both sides of the issue are at fault - which is most of us.

Post has been up for 5 hours - certainly both the TV reds and TV yellows have read, but neglect to comment. Compromise, and admission of partial responsibility don't work with their indoctrinated belief structure.

• Like 1

I suggest you all read today's column by Voranai Vanijaka in "The Other Newspaper". He lays out the entire sordid affair clearly. Its all gray areas. Both sides are right - and both sides are wrong. The problem is that the TV red shirts - Phi, and others, refuse to see that their "side" is wrong in any degree, while the TV yellow shirts see everything the red shirts do as evil and having a hidden agenda from Thaksin. Therein lies the problem No compromise means no progress.

The red shirts fired RPG rounds and used human shields and parked NGV trucks near residential areas - yes

All these things happened. Not just some of them. ALL are at fault. ALL need to try to restore a sense of balance. I actually think Thaksin understands that. It seems the TV red shirts do not, TV Yellow shirts, and anyone else who constantly refuses to view both sides of the issue are at fault - which is most of us.

Post has been up for 5 hours - certainly both the TV reds and TV yellows have read, but neglect to comment. Compromise, and admission of partial responsibility don't work with their indoctrinated belief structure.

You are asking for a response from certain people, well, to get it, perhaps you need to be a bit more specific as to who these people are.

I know of only one TV yellow. Of course there are those that accuse anyone who posts anything anti-red of being yellow (i'm sure you too have had that one thrown in your face), but the truth is that most of the anti red posters here, started with a degree of support for the PAD in the early days, but ceased it altogether when things like the airport nonsense started happening. Being able to change and review one's opinion in this way, doesn't speak to me of the indoctrinated belief structure you speak of.

• Like 1

You are asking for a response from certain people, well, to get it, perhaps you need to be a bit more specific as to who these people are.

I know of only one TV yellow. Of course there are those that accuse anyone who posts anything anti-red of being yellow (i'm sure you too have had that one thrown in your face), but the truth is that most of the anti red posters here, started with a degree of support for the PAD in the early days, but ceased it altogether when things like the airport nonsense started happening. Being able to change and review one's opinion in this way, doesn't speak to me of the indoctrinated belief structure you speak of.

Perhaps a better label would be the TV Reds and the TV Anti-Reds. Same thought applies though. Neither are capable of compromise or admission that fault lies among all parties.

That would probably depend on whether the protesters had their own little militia taking pot shots at the police.

Sent from my shoe phone

I can only respond with "proportionate response". If a red/black/journalist/medic were taking "potshots" at the RTA I would fully respect the RTA making a proportionate response as according to the ROE.

It can be argued, quite successfully I think, that this was not always, or even often, the case.

Perhaps a better label would be the TV Reds and the TV Anti-Reds. Same thought applies though. Neither are capable of compromise or admission that fault lies among all parties.

Well personally i think you are being a bit liberal with your tarnishing brush. I am anti red and anti yellow. I may be more vocal about the anti red stuff but that is only because the reds have been for the last three years or so 10 times more active and disruptive. How can i admonish in equal measure when what they are doing isn't in equal measure?

• Like 1

Not at all. I freely admit that there may have been individual errors and faults, including innocent casualties, by members of the RTA, but that is what happens when you send an army into urban engagment with an armed enemy. It was to be expected, and that is why it was delayed so long and every effort made to resolve the issue before hand.

I find it difficult to blame the RTA when they are ordered by their legitimate government to clear out a huge crowd sheltering an unknown number of armed elements firing at them and the general populace. Further, it is my opinion that those who refused to disperse knowing their was an armed element involved, are equally culpable.

Thai courts, in the case of red shirt Bandit, handed down sentences of 20 years for discharging weapons, 5 each for possession of illegal weapons and ammunition.

IMHO no deaths need to have occurred if the red shirts were not armed.

• Like 1

I would have thought it shifting away with the more frequent and more vocal displeasure, including Thida's veiled threat to the PTP, from their crucial Red Shirts. Add in the dozen Red Shirt Leaders who are Pheu Thai MP's and are being pressured to pull from the main PTP platform of amnesty for all and no change in Art. 112 and populist promises failure, etc. coupled with three successive losses in recent by-elections.

There's no shortage of PTP disunity and the "tides of power" is going out, not coming in.

The Red Shirts and rights groups have called on the new government, led by Thaksin's sister Yingluck, to prosecute soldiers and officials responsible for causing the deaths and injuries, many to unarmed demonstrators.

"We have to seek justice otherwise the use of force to crackdown on protesters may happen again," Red Shirt leader Thida Thavorseth said Friday.

One would think Thida was not particularly enamored nor receptive to fugitive ex-PM Thaksin's video-link reply to "her" Red masses "seeking justice":

sort of sets the stage for the necessity to have to use force to crackdown on protesters.... again.

Why would it be necessary "to have to use force to crackdown on protesters.... again"

If as you imply, Thida and the red shirts wish to receive justice before unity, why can that not be acheived without the RTA being let loose again. All it takes is for the investigations into the deaths to be conducted as a priority and responsibility being accorded and accepted on both sides. No need for more bloodshed.

Of course, Abhisit could have given the TRCT some teeth in the granting of subpoena powers to the committee and we wouldn't be in this position now. The fact that he didn't says a lot about how much he was interested in the truth coming out at the time, hoping, once again Thailand will forget.

I think, hope, those days are gone and so do Thida and the red shirts.

The PTP's stance on this is a lot more nuanced. People can say that Thaksin doesn't want the truth to come out, but if that was really the case don't you think that Abhisit and his backers, if they were so sure of their innocence in all this, would want all the ammunition (pun intended) they needed to expose Thaksin?

Why would it be necessary "to have to use force to crackdown on protesters.... again"

If as you imply, Thida and the red shirts wish to receive justice before unity, why can that not be acheived without the RTA being let loose again. All it takes is for the investigations into the deaths to be conducted as a priority and responsibility being accorded and accepted on both sides. No need for more bloodshed.

Of course, Abhisit could have given the TRCT some teeth in the granting of subpoena powers to the committee and we wouldn't be in this position now. The fact that he didn't says a lot about how much he was interested in the truth coming out at the time, hoping, once again Thailand will forget.

I think, hope, those days are gone and so do Thida and the red shirts.

The PTP's stance on this is a lot more nuanced. People can say that Thaksin doesn't want the truth to come out, but if that was really the case don't you think that Abhisit and his backers, if they were so sure of their innocence in all this, would want all the ammunition (pun intended) they needed to expose Thaksin?

I wonder why PTP haven't given TRCT some teeth by allowing them to subpoena witnesses.

I can only respond with "proportionate response". If a red/black/journalist/medic were taking "potshots" at the RTA I would fully respect the RTA making a proportionate response as according to the ROE.

It can be argued, quite successfully I think, that this was not always, or even often, the case.

Yes well you would Don, because it's not you being shot at. Armchair heroes are always the bravest.

FYI the old idea of standing in a line and letting the enemy shoot you has been revised over the last century or so.

And the general consensus is that a court martial is better than a military funeral.

When you are told that the squaddies are coming in hard, and there are people in your own ranks shooting back, the only smart, and legal thing to do is take a rapid hike. If you don't, more fool you.

If Thaksin gets his way and unity (in the form of an amnesty for all) prevails over justice, Thida seems to be indicating the Reds would once again take to the streets in protest, so much so apparently that she thinks it would result in the necessity to use force again to dispel them.

What she sees as a priority is not what Thaksin sees as a priority.

Edited by Buchholz

A picture is worth a thousand words we are told. This particular image left me speechless,.

Do we now see the true face of the Red Shirt movement appearing led by a despotic character who resides outside of the Kingdom.

Graphic image courtesy of http://www.facebook....35060922&type=1

560483_456908524323020_149529535060922_1856479_79857446_n.jpg

Do you actually think they have any idea what the meaning of a swastika is? Most Thais I speak to had no history lessons of any real sort. When you ask the average Thai with a high school education (much less without!) what they know about world war II, they stare at you. Have you ever asked a Thai to point out Poland, or Germany on a map? Have you ever asked a Thai what they know about the Third Reich?

Yes much las without, big numbers never started on a highschool and at 20+ it's a small part that will do it after all.

I asked... A few times, some can point at Germany but they mostly don't know anything about WWII. That's why I wrote that some people want to see more maybe then just a ugly shirt?

If I dress up a monkey with this T-shirt would some people asume the devil got into it or Mr. H. himself? Or should you point at the person who put it on the monkey or even better the one that print it?

(and no i don't compare any people (or all) with monkeys so don't go there please)

You seem to have the opinion that all the red shirts that were shot were innocent, and everything was the army's fault, all because a nurse got shot.

Jean Charles de Menezes was shot in the head seven times by the UK authorities, not far from Piccadilly Circus, for looking like a suspect. He wasn't armed. This is an example of how seriously they are capable of dealing with people they think pose a threat. Your belief that these same authorities would refrain from using deadly force if faced with protesters armed in the way the red shirts were, is delusional.

There is a world away between the armed nutters response group who shot de Menzes whilst the UK had been hyped up to the rafters with "terrorist" threats and the British Army deploying snipers for crowd control in the UK. If you think I'm delusional so be it, I can live with the fact that you will not accept opinions that oppose your own.

There is a world away between the armed nutters response group who shot de Menzes whilst the UK had been hyped up to the rafters with "terrorist" threats and the British Army deploying snipers for crowd control in the UK. If you think I'm delusional so be it, I can live with the fact that you will not accept opinions that oppose your own.

Did the Thai army deploy snipers before they were shot at with guns and grenades? They didn't deploy them for "crowd control".

Edited by whybother

You seem to have the opinion that all the red shirts that were shot were innocent, and everything was the army's fault, all because a nurse got shot.

See, thats where you go wrong, you're trying to speak for me again. How can you even begin to think the sentence

"If a red/black/journalist/medic were taking "potshots" at the RTA I would fully respect the RTA making a proportionate response as according to the ROE".

equates to your simplistic, offensive paraphrase

"You seem to have the opinion that all the red shirts that were shot were innocent, and everything was the army's fault, all because a nurse got shot."