Mae Taeng To Cm Ride Option

T_Dog

Thought I would post this route as most cyclists return to CM from Mae Taeng on the west side of HWY 107. This route east of HWY 107 comes back from near the HWY 107/ HWY 1095 intersection and after crossing a sinking bridge over the Ping, follows a beautiful quiet route toward Maejo along a canal east of the Ping River. Flat riding, great road with very little traffic. The route to the sinking bridge is a bit hard to find so check out the kmz files. The entry point off 107 is right across the street from a large red hardware store billboard and next to a crosswalk. (That hardware store was not there when the Google Earth image was taken.) You will have to figure out what way to come back in depending on where you live, but the canal or some of the roads back toward the Ping River make for a nice quiet ride compared to HWY 107. The canal crosses HWY 1001 so that is also a return option.

Also.... Wat Chom Kiddi in that area is having a festival tomorrow on Sunday that might make an interesting destination. This is the Wat a few hundred meters above the valley with white structures and Buddha images that is visible for miles around, even from the Pai road. It is not far from Chiang Mai Royal Golf Course.

post-498-0-78504700-1337387074_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-25332800-1337387346_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-62298100-1337387421_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-06187200-1337387454_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-50421700-1337387490_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-29062800-1337387559_thumb.jpg

HWY 107 Entry Road.kmz

MT Bridge.kmz

Canal Entry.kmz

Wat Chom Kiddi.kmz

post-498-0-09671400-1337388123_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for this 'T-dog'.

One problem, (for me) once I get to Chiangmai and then after soaking in Anti-inflammatories.....How do I wobble home?

Tonto... That was my ride to the hardware store on Friday! Regarding getting home from CM, up to you....

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys i'm coming out to Chiang Mai for a holiday and want to rent a bike to do some road trips or buy a cheap one and sell it at the end. Not looking for anything flash what can i expect to pay and any ideas on purchase/rental options?

Thanks

Edited by brian1racing

• 1 month later...

..cool pics and ride tip T_Dog.

If am up that way, will suss out the sinking bridge.

Yes, Muang Tai is a mighty fine place in which to pedal...endless sweet routes to traverse!

Isn't that the truth! Tonto21 has been showing me more single track every week and the other day we had an epic ridge ride with a dive down a creek bottom into jungle grass 3 meters tall. But.... We did find a road to get back home so all is good! Just great riding up here.

I saw your YouTube video of Mae Salong. Been up there several times on the motorcycle and that is one long climb to get there. Love that area. Always wanted to mountain bike into Jabusee which is a small hill tribe village way way below Mae Salong proper. Took the motorcycle down there once and it was great, but would have been more fun on a mountain bike. We spun tires all the way back up.

T-Dog

you got it...heading west from Mae Chan UP to Doi Mae Salong is not for the weak of heart.

It is Muang Tai's own version of Alp Du 'Huez.

Very steep and impressive scenery.

At one point, I took a break and dismounted my bike.

I had my brakes locking up all. With my cleats on the steep, hot, slippery pavement, I began sliding BACKWARDS, downslope!

Talk about pucker factor. That was a new one for me---total lockdown mode and sliding backwards!

I had to wiggle over to some leaves and brush at side of road to stabilize matters......

I doubt if anyone could even scratch the surface of all the fine roads and trails that lace the Kingdom.

The scale of rideable roads and trails to explore boggles the imagination......

we all give things good crack.....

Keep up the fine rides!