Waterproofing A Rooftop Pond - Any Product Recommendations?

Udox

I inherited an (unused) rooftop pond and waterfall, almost 3m long x 1m wide, made with stones and cement when I moved to this place. Its actually quite attractive and would like to use it again.

I have filled in the gaps and cracks now, with coloured cement and my initial testing has now revealed small leaks in the original structure but cannot pinpoint them.

I now want to paint some kind of sealant across the whole inside area to make it waterproof (and hopefully plug the seepage). Literally just coat it in thick covering to make it watertight.

I don't care if it is hazardous to fish as its not important, I just care that it seals the inside 100% - especially as this pond was built on the roof (garden). Would prefer clear colour to retain the natural feeling of the rocks and stones - but making it waterproof is the number 1 priority.

There are several products in homepro which seem to be able to do this job - but I am looking for a recommendation on here - rather than a spotty 17 year old kid in HomePro tell me this (or that) one is 'perfect'.

Anybody give me some recommendations what to use?

Thank you.

I have used FeroFlex in the past, it seems to work quite well and is exactly intended for this sort

of thing. Make sure to use the one that is UV resistant if sunlight will reach it ... I think it's FeroFlex 412 ...

rudi

• 2 weeks later...

I have used FeroFlex in the past, it seems to work quite well and is exactly intended for this sort

of thing. Make sure to use the one that is UV resistant if sunlight will reach it ... I think it's FeroFlex 412 ...

rudi

What is Feroflex ( I guess its a type of sealant) I mean is it a paint on substance or a mix or what ?

And where can I buy it ( homepro?)

I tried a product called sista 100% waterproof, a product similar to white glue- which contained latex, amongst other things, and after addiing some blue pigment, it actually looked pretty good and a bit like a light blue swimming pool - however 3 coats later and when I leak tested it - there was still seepage - no matter how nice it looked.

Odly enough it was in exactly the same spot as before I did any work on it - so it may be possible that the sista product did it's job and I have an underlying problem somewhere else - but if I have coated the whole of the inside with 3 coats of this stuff - I am confused as to how it is still seeping - unless the stuff I used didn't work, and there is a crack somewhere I can't see.

Water leaks must be the worst of all DIY jobs and you only know how well you have done at the end, testing phase.

I will try the product recommended above and see if that does any good.

Thanks for the reply

• 4 months later...

I know its an old post,but we have a 3 metre x 4metre x 1/2mtre deep pond,we had a terrible time with leakage,finally we just bought pondliner from one of the market stores,its black in colourr with a plastic/rubber feel costs 350bht never leaked again

Sorry, I never saw the question about feroflex ....

Ferflex is a material that can be applied on raw concrete and will bond with concrete. Typically you

would apply it on a swimming pool before tiling it. You can also apply another layer of concrete on

top of ferflex, it bonds very well. Some of it is not UV resistant. It is a two compound type of chemical,

some powder and some liquid. If I remember correctly the mix is water solvable and washable until it

cures and dries.

This is old contact info i have:

Prayoon from ferroproduct.co.th 089 497-5566

[email protected]

[email protected]

25 KG Ferroflex 412: 2000.- bath / set

Regards,

rudi

The thais that made an extension on my balcony roof had the most fantastic trick.

It's called aerotape, a sort of paste in a tube that turn into tar after a couple of hours.

Coming from sukumvit and driving on north pattaya rd, it will be a small shop on the left hand perhaps 150 meters before 3rd rd.

I may mess up on the distance somewhat, so just keep looking for a (work?) shop