Married Visa

I married a thai lady March 2005

So we went to Imigration in Bkk to change my tourist visa into a nonimmigrant on the 30 March 2005.

That was a nightmare talk about pedantic jobs worth,the guy in imigration refused to talk to me even as I was making the aplication, nearly every piece of legal documentation there was something wrong with it and we had to make numerous trips across Bkk to rectify them, even down to the way that the Head office of the Siam commercial bank had worded the letter. It said I had a 8 figuer balance and i was a valued and respected customer "not good enough" he requierd a balance.

After three days of that he gave me an extension of stay and I had to report back in 1 month.

Went back after 1 month and was given the non imigrant visa for three months and was told I would have to report to the office in Pattayain July.

And I have reported there in july,August,September,October,November,December.

And still no Married visa.

Now the funn bit.

As I am led to belive because in December my wife and I have left Thailand and have gone on holiday to the UK for six months I wll loose my aplication to a married visa and will have to ree apply. :o

All this to get a 1 year married visa.

This is maddnes suerly there could be an easier way of doing this.

Any way I went to the Consuler here in Cardiff and they gave me a non imigrant multiple entry for 1 year, and it only took 5 minutes .

Now I think I will fly back every year as it's easier.

And the upside is I get a bit of R&R every 90 days (FREEDOM)

Could anybody confirm it is correct about loosing the married visa application as I couldn't seem to get much out of the geezer in pattaya as he was quite busy and just said "Next" when I tried to clarify things(mabye it was his way of saving face as I really think he didn't know exactly)

Cheers

You have departed Thailand without a valid re entry permit; yes, your application for extension of stay is now invalid. You now have a multi entry O visa to allow visits to see the wife. You can apply for an extension of stay after you are here 60 days on any entry of that visa if you so desire.

One thing not clear is if you had a 60 day tourist visa in March when you were married (issued at a foreign Consulate). Although they can be converted the easy method of getting into the one year extension of stay category is to make a trip to Penang to obtain what you now have received from Cardiff and make application 60 days after your return.

Has your bank balance remained above the 400,000 requirements during your under consideration period in Pattaya? That could be a reason for delay if not. It is normal for most conversation to be with wife when you apply for this type of extension. If you hold an 8 digit account (more than 10 million) as a normal bank balance you might consider investment visa possibility rather than wife support.

You have departed Thailand without a valid re entry permit; yes, your application for extension of stay is now invalid.  You now have a multi entry O visa to allow visits to see the wife.  You can apply for an extension of stay after you are here 60 days on any entry of that visa if you so desire.

One thing not clear is if you had a 60 day tourist visa in March when you were married (issued at a foreign Consulate).  Although they can be converted the easy method of getting into the one year extension of stay category is to make a trip to Penang to obtain what you now have received from Cardiff and make application 60 days after your return.

Has your bank balance remained above the 400,000 requirements during your under consideration period in Pattaya?  That could be a reason for delay if not.  It is normal for most conversation to be with wife when you apply for this type of extension.  If you hold an 8 digit account (more than 10 million) as a normal bank balance you might consider investment visa possibility rather than wife support.

You have departed Thailand without a valid re entry permit; yes, your application for extension of stay is now invalid.  You now have a multi entry O visa to allow visits to see the wife.  You can apply for an extension of stay after you are here 60 days on any entry of that visa if you so desire.

One thing not clear is if you had a 60 day tourist visa in March when you were married (issued at a foreign Consulate).  Although they can be converted the easy method of getting into the one year extension of stay category is to make a trip to Penang to obtain what you now have received from Cardiff and make application 60 days after your return.

Has your bank balance remained above the 400,000 requirements during your under consideration period in Pattaya?  That could be a reason for delay if not.  It is normal for most conversation to be with wife when you apply for this type of extension.  If you hold an 8 digit account (more than 10 million) as a normal bank balance you might consider investment visa possibility rather than wife support.

Thanks Lopburi.

Dont know wot hapend with my ast post thn.

My balance has had a kicking since then but its Ok.

The officer who totally ignored me was in Bkk last march when i was apling for the change to non imm from tourist, I guess it might be some sort of policy to see if its genuine and shes not doing it under duress.

Can we re apply in pattaya for the married visa?

Also could you please explain about the investment visa.

How come you know so much about all this it seems a minefield to me?

Thanks in advance

Cheers

I got mad at myself for not knowing so have spent some time trying to find and keep up with the various requirements.

Yes. You can do the entire process in Pattaya after you have been here for 60 days.

The investment type requires purchase of 3 million baht or more and provides the same type of one year renewable visa extension as long as you maintain the investment here in Thailand. What can be used are specific condos or investment accounts. This is run by immigration and provides probably the best option for those under retirement age and with foreign funds to obtain extensions of stay. But you need to consult with immigration to be sure everything is done by the book.

If you are over 50 and can meet the 800,000 baht in bank requirement or alternatively 400,000 baht and pension of 40,000 a month etc. etc., IMO it is easier to go the plain retirement visa way instead of the support Thai spouse. You would need a medical cert which is easy to get and a letter from the embassy certifying your pension, but you won't have to supply letters and photos of yourselves and accomodation and maybe have someone from immigration snooping around your place.

If you are over 50 and can meet the 800,000 baht in bank requirement or alternatively 400,000 baht and pension of 40,000 a month etc. etc., IMO it is easier to go the plain retirement visa way instead of the support Thai spouse. You would need a medical cert which is easy to get and a letter from the embassy certifying your pension, but you won't have to supply letters and photos of yourselves and accomodation and maybe have someone from immigration snooping around your place.

Unfortunately or fortunately I have anouther 10 years for the retierment visa, and I have allready had the snooping for the married visa,very uncomfortable feeling that. :o

My 2 cents is that I married a thai and I just do the visa run every 30 day's. As my job lets me out every couple of months I have found that is the easiest way to take care of it. At least until I reach retirement age then I will cross that red tape when I have to. :o