Current Options For Thai Language Courses In Chiang Mai?

wynzlo

Thanks for the info. We all know laws were written by lawyers for lawyers, and there is no doubt immigration laws and rules are complex, they are in all countries. I do find it severely disturbing though, at a very base level, that there would be such intentional negative bias toward people over 50. If that sort of thing is occurring at that young an age, I am probably in a lot of trouble and need to rejig my future plans. I was hoping to learn the language at a faster pace than I am now and settle into a comfortable retirement in a little less than 2 years. Surprising and very disappointing.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow... guess that hits a nerve, but I don't understand why? What part of my anecdote was negative? When did I say anything about paperwork?

CMSteve thanks for sharing. Do you have anything else negative to say about Walen? That usually works just the opposite to your intended purpose. As far as an ED visa support nobody does it better and telling that some other school can get paperwork faster than us is simply nonsense but good try.

Okay, this is driving me semi-nuts (it's a short trip) but, most of the school websites talk about 90 extensions while on a one year ED visa at a cost of 1,900 baht each. Payap U. says, on their website - quote: "Report to Immigration every 90 days (beginning the 90th day after you have arrived in Thailand) and fill out the "form for alien to notify of staying longer than 90 days". This only takes a few minutes and there is no charge."

Do holders of ED Visas pay 1,900 baht every 90 days, or do they not pay? I would like to hear from people who actually have and use their ED Visas right now and not second hand, "I heard that someone said that they knew somebody who met a guy"...etc info. Thanks.

Was on education visa last year.

You enter the country and at the first 90 days you pay the B1900 to extend to 1 year visa.

From that point you have to check in every 90 days and doesn't cost anything but time.

Before your first year is up, if you decide to continue to study and go the ED visa route the school should submit paperwork and you go through the same process again, except for having to initially leave the country.

1 caveat: that's how it is supposed to work. Should the school make a data entry error on the paperwork as happened to me, the first 90 day becomes only a 90 day extension and you get to pay again at the next 90 day to extend for the year. My point being, you should only have to pay B1900 once per year, but things do happen.

• Like 1

Okay, this is driving me semi-nuts (it's a short trip) but, most of the school websites talk about 90 extensions while on a one year ED visa at a cost of 1,900 baht each. Payap U. says, on their website - quote: "Report to Immigration every 90 days (beginning the 90th day after you have arrived in Thailand) and fill out the "form for alien to notify of staying longer than 90 days". This only takes a few minutes and there is no charge."

Do holders of ED Visas pay 1,900 baht every 90 days, or do they not pay? I would like to hear from people who actually have and use their ED Visas right now and not second hand, "I heard that someone said that they knew somebody who met a guy"...etc info. Thanks.

Was on education visa last year.

You enter the country and at the first 90 days you pay the B1900 to extend to 1 year visa.

From that point you have to check in every 90 days and doesn't cost anything but time.

Before your first year is up, if you decide to continue to study and go the ED visa route the school should submit paperwork and you go through the same process again, except for having to initially leave the country.

1 caveat: that's how it is supposed to work. Should the school make a data entry error on the paperwork as happened to me, the first 90 day becomes only a 90 day extension and you get to pay again at the next 90 day to extend for the year. My point being, you should only have to pay B1900 once per year, but things do happen.

Thank you very much, concise and to the point. clap2.gif

I dont really see why you are all so put out by so called "students" not attending class.

You all know to get an ED visa is a very convenient way to extend your stay, for 20-25k bht plus the 1900bt extensions, it sure is cheaper than say getting back on a plane to Europe or USA for the same price, every 3 months.

Every school offers this service and in fairness, what an easy income, they do nothing but some photocopying- I say its good business and making an opportunity from the visa rules. If i knew i was going to have to teach every visa applicant, i would then need to be thinking about paying more staff and maybe bigger premises.

If you want to pay the 25k for your own convenience, then its no fault of any school.

Well said. There are a lot of posters, in a lot of threads, whose major (only?) complaint with Walen is that a number of students do not attend classes; I mean, what do they expect Walen to do? Go out and drag these people in? Contact Immigration and have their visas revoked? Yes, I'm sure that would go down well...

Thanks for the info. We all know laws were written by lawyers for lawyers, and there is no doubt immigration laws and rules are complex, they are in all countries. I do find it severely disturbing though, at a very base level, that there would be such intentional negative bias toward people over 50. If that sort of thing is occurring at that young an age, I am probably in a lot of trouble and need to rejig my future plans. I was hoping to learn the language at a faster pace than I am now and settle into a comfortable retirement in a little less than 2 years. Surprising and very disappointing.

Over 50 is just the Chiang Mai local immigration issue, no problem at all in other locations.

Over 50 is just the Chiang Mai local immigration issue, no problem at all in other locations.

can you clarify what the over 50 issue has been in CM?

Chiang Mai Immigration is reluctant to give extensions of ED visas for students over 50 years old. They sometimes allow if someone is 50-53 for one year (no exact rule) but say they will not extend next year. Of course this could change. This is the current situation but still some arrangements can be made. If someone needed help they can visit our school and talk to us directly.

Edited by MacWalen

Chiang Mai Immigration is reluctant to give extensions of ED visas for students over 50 years old. They sometimes allow if someone is 50-53 for one year (no exact rule) but say they will not extend next year. Of course this could change. This is the current situation but still some arrangements can be made. If someone needed help they can visit our school and talk to us directly.

are you talking about 1 year extensions or 90 day extensions? or both?

All extensions of ED visas for those over 50. Immigration seems to be of the opinion that those over 50 should be on retirement visas. It was not an issue not long time ago and perhaps things will improve.

Mac: Why dont you set up a seminar about the ED visa; only? and respond directly to audience questions.

I; for one am reading and re reading the same questions from members here; I am not suggesting everyone is plain stupid to grasp the concept but my guess is you can fill more than 4 chairs this time and create a better profile for Walen, than to pursue your "business model" seminars.

Now we will have a new school in Samui and Chiang Rai and the immigration there may also have different interpretation of general laws governing the extensions of ED visas. Even between Bangkok and Pattaya it is not the same.

How can national immigration have different interpretation of laws?

Immigration law is (should be) standard nationwide.

The only way a 'different interpretation' arise, is when money is involved.

Mac: Why dont you set up a seminar about the ED visa; only? and respond directly to audience questions.

I; for one am reading and re reading the same questions from members here; I am not suggesting everyone is plain stupid to grasp the concept but my guess is you can fill more than 4 chairs this time and create a better profile for Walen, than to pursue your "business model" seminars.

That is indeed a good idea! Thanks a lot. Perhaps next time when I'm in Chiang Mai. My business seminars get bigger too. Last time we had 12 so not too bad, and even more interestingly some joined.

Now we will have a new school in Samui and Chiang Rai and the immigration there may also have different interpretation of general laws governing the extensions of ED visas. Even between Bangkok and Pattaya it is not the same.

Uptheos, that is the theory and it indeed should be the same, totally agree with you. In practice however it is not the same, different immigration offices different rules. Also the requirements of the Ministry of Education are not the same, even forms that we need to fill in are not the same, number of pictures in different branches is not the same and other small details. We have processed thousands of cases so I am telling you this from our nationwide experience.

Maybe some over 50 yr old students who have had trouble with extensions can chime in. I know a number of older students and haven't heard of any problems.

Mac's information really surprised me. I fired off a few emails to two other schools and heard back from one that they haven't had any problems. Maybe they are just targeting a specific school.

So would be interesting to hear from some students and which school etc.

Maybe some over 50 yr old students who have had trouble with extensions can chime in. I know a number of older students and haven't heard of any problems.

Mac's information really surprised me. I fired off a few emails to two other schools and heard back from one that they haven't had any problems. Maybe they are just targeting a specific school.

So would be interesting to hear from some students and which school etc.

I do not think Walen would be singled out from among other schools. Sure, more reports are welcome. I am talking about new applicants here.

Uptheos, that is the theory and it indeed should be the same, totally agree with you. In practice however it is not the same, different immigration offices different rules. Also the requirements of the Ministry of Education are not the same, even forms that we need to fill in are not the same, number of pictures in different branches is not the same and other small details. We have processed thousands of cases so I am telling you this from our nationwide experience.

Yes, I do know what you mean......immigration can't get their act together up here from one day to the next.

The word 'law' is fairly flexible isn't it?

There is another school I am curious about. They are located in Pantip plaza and the price is good at 20k baht for a year and visa paperwork.

Anyone have any experience with them?

http://easystudythai...hai-edvisa.html

its legit. they have a fair number of students. they are cheaper, can get the paperwork done in 1 week (as opposed to 3-5 like walen et al), and they arent super strict about attendance (though, not as lax as walen lol). definitely worth checking out if you're in the area.

all foreigners must report every 90 days. doesnt matter the visa. for ed visas, the process is this:

step 1: get your initial 3 month ed visa;

step 2: extend it another 3 months. costs 1900;

step 3: extend it another 6 months (which fills out your 1st year of an ed visa). costs 1900;

after your first year you can extend for a full year.

I just had a sit down talk with the folks on Nimmanhemin Rd (Pro-Language) and they explained the process exactly as the quoted post here has (plus 90 day reports are no charge), with no coaching on my part. I also asked, very pointedly and directly asking several times for confirmation about extensions and reporting. They have not heard anything from any of their four schools of any age discrimination. That doesn't say it has never happened but, the woman who spoke the best English during this conversation was adamant that immigration laws are national and are interpreted equally, nationally. Having said that, we read about minor variations in personal experiences by TV members all the time. Generally speaking, they are minor variances and not intentional age discrimination.

In-the-end, and in answer to the OP's original question, we have several good schools here in CM who take care of their customers/students and make the experience as hassle free as possible. The cost factors have been made clear, at least for me, finally smile.png From there it's a personal choice which one you choose but, the playing field looks pretty even. IMHO this has been a very productive thread, thanks to you all.

Edited by DowntownAl

Indeed a lot of choices for an ED visa, however those who are interested in learning Thai and not just visa I encourage to give Walen a try and take our demo lesson. If you really want to learn Thai you will not be disappointed. Also we are the only school offering partnership opportunity to all of our students. Not everybody is business minded but if someone is Walen has the best offer.

Walen School - learn Thai with us.

I've been to about 6 Thai Walen language classes now in Chiang Mai and I'm very happy with the school.

Right now I'm sitting in Singapore after having just picked up my 1 year visa (really 90 days, without the extensions) at the Thai Embassy here. The school were really fast at getting all the papers together for me and told me exactly what I needed to do. I didn't have to go to Singapore, I just wanted to see the country -- I'll be back in CM tomorrow.

Everyone at the school is friendly, the teachers are patient and they're always happy to answer all of the random questions people seem to have during the classes.

I don't know Mac, nor have I spoken to him, so this is a totally independent review. I don't know how it compares to other schools as far as pricing goes, but I'm sure if I extend for another year it will definitely be at Walen.

Mac, if you're reading, could you PM me more information about 'partnership' opportunities?

I've been to about 6 Thai Walen language classes now in Chiang Mai and I'm very happy with the school.

Right now I'm sitting in Singapore after having just picked up my 1 year visa (really 90 days, without the extensions) at the Thai Embassy here. The school were really fast at getting all the papers together for me and told me exactly what I needed to do. I didn't have to go to Singapore, I just wanted to see the country -- I'll be back in CM tomorrow.

Everyone at the school is friendly, the teachers are patient and they're always happy to answer all of the random questions people seem to have during the classes.

I don't know Mac, nor have I spoken to him, so this is a totally independent review. I don't know how it compares to other schools as far as pricing goes, but I'm sure if I extend for another year it will definitely be at Walen.

Mac, if you're reading, could you PM me more information about 'partnership' opportunities?

Well, oaky doky then, I now know for sure who I will and won't do business with.

Edited by DowntownAl

Well, oaky doky then, I now know for sure who I will and won't do business with.

Any reason you edited your original post?

I still have your original open in another tab, where I quote "The line about being an independent review made me hurl"

Funny smile.png

I though better of the other members here so I edited it for content. Since you decided to raise it, It still nearly made me hurl. Live with it.

If you're serious about learning Thai you should consider learning at Payap University. Payap has an intensive Thai program that's probably one of the best programs in Chiang Mai. Classes are from 9 am to 12 am Monday through Friday.

However, if your intent is more geared to get a visa then we suggest that you attend one of the other schools in the city such as Walen School of Thai. They are a bit more flexible with their program.

For more information google "Payap Intensive Thai Program".

Not sure if ThaiVisa will let me enter the link to Payap's Intensive Thai url. If they don't mind here it is.

http://ic.payap.ac.t.../thai/about.php

If you have more questions, feel free to ask.

Edited by richard10365

DowntownAl I never said anything negative about you, where did this " I know who I will not do business with" came from?

Do whatever you will. I have been very fair in giving a lot of useful information to you guys. I did not see any other school doing that. I only hear I went to .............. and asked about .............. and they told me........... and on their website...............

I give you first hand info that works. Can you seriously get any better?

Edited by MacWalen

BTW, you may want to ask the Mod's to remove the pic entirely, you can still see your full passport number in the perforated area on the right.

I don't see how that's a potential issue. People's passport numbers (AND names, AND nationalities) are kept by all hotels in Thailand. That's a huge list of passport numbers and matching names right there. I wouldn't worry too much.

<visa picture>

You can see the date as 22nd of May; I was only able to pick it up today (23rd)

Anything else you would like to see? smile.png

I wonder why you wanted to show your visa? Nobody doubts you can easily get a N.I. Education visa as long as you attend a course in something. No magic is involved, all you need is a letter from the school or other institution that states your a student, what you study, and from what date to what date. I've done it myself in the past.

I do wonder if/how this is a one-year visa: Looking at the image it seems to run out on 21 August. If you enter today on 24 May then you will get a stamp until August 22, give or take a day. Then what happens? Will you get an extension for another 90 days without leaving the country, and so on until a full year has passed?

...Right now I'm sitting in Singapore after having just picked up my 1 year visa (really 90 days, without the extensions) at the Thai Embassy here...

The scanned image of the visa shows, I believe, a 3-month single-entry non-immigrant ED visa.

The visa fee is $100 Singapore Dollars. This is the cost of a single-entry non-immigrant visa ( http://www.thaiembas...plications-fees )

The number of entries is 's'. IE Single.

Single-entry non-immigrant visas allow 3 months of stay and not 1 year. However as you correctly state, they can be extended at any immigration office within Thailand with the appropriate support documents.

Edited by Loaded

My school of choice has been YMCA. I have been very pleased over the last year. The teachers are good and the classes are fun . No presure to sign up for more classes you learn at your own pace .

I have heard good things about the classes at Pantip but have not checked it out because I am very happy with YMCA . I also dont have to drain my bank account to pay for my classes .....