Cwow Fitness Closing Many Branches In Bangkok

Fgis

To thepink, I would say if it takes little to no time, do it. If it starts to take up time (probably will), forget it.

but the company is precisely taking advantage of members who thinking like this - that it's too much trouble to go to court and so forget it,

the other members that i have seen demanding for refunds at the office, have all been asked to renew or sign up for new membership just weeks before many of their branches were closed down.

this is an apparent case of fraud since they must have been well aware of their situation - that they were gonna be shut down by their landlord in no time!

You're going to take a bankrupt company that can't even pay their staff or electric bills to court for a refund? Surely you're not serious? If you are, you're a dreamer - and that's putting it mildly.

Edited by tropo

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you can demonstrate fraud then the corporate veil falls away and suddenly 'Dr' Levine's Phuket mansion will enter your refund pool.

I believe he sold that years ago.

I'd like to see you take a company to court for alleged fraud in an attempt to get a membership fee refund.

That would be classic.cheesy.gif

You guys should stop dreaming and just accept the loss.

Edited by tropo

Though I don't know the guy personally, and also know little about the circumstances surrounding the collapse of CWOW in Thailand, I happened to come across Mr. Levine while sitting in the Thai Airways lounge in Phuket about 10 days ago, where we were both waiting for the Monday early AM flight to Bangkok. He is very much in the country, and from what I overheard, fighting hard to right his sinking ship. Over the course of thirty minutes I heard him on the phone with what seemed to be his legal counsel, representatives of his landlords and representatives of banks... all this at 7 in the morning. He appeared to be a pretty reasonable and respectful man for all the hell he is no doubt going through... he also seemed to be very compassionate towards his staff and seemed genuinely concerned for their well being.

Before slinging mud and passing judgement, people should take care to form opinions based on fact rather than heresay. It's not easy being in his situation (whether caused by his own actions or not), and he certainly didn't seem to be running away from his problems. Quite the contrary.

Before slinging mud and passing judgement, people should take care to form opinions based on fact rather than heresay. It's not easy being in his situation (whether caused by his own actions or not), and he certainly didn't seem to be running away from his problems. Quite the contrary.

Let's get real here - everything you write is "hearsay" - and from an anonymous person who just signed up.

Let's get real here - everything you write is "hearsay" - and from an anonymous person who just signed up.

What can I say... I've been living here for 4 years and have always just read posts on TV rather than posting anything myself. I've never had anything to contribute until now. Funnily enough, I only just connected the dots as to who the guy was. I remember sitting there at 7am bleary eyed, and noticing a super-tanned, bleach-blonde hairplugged, 50's looking guy who was all muscled-up... he really stood out. Then I overheard his conversations which seemed pretty intense, but I had no context to put them in as I didn't know who he was. Then just by chance I was reading this forum yesterday, was interested in the story of the collapse of CWOW, googled Eric Levine, and lo-and-behold, there was the same unmistakable super-tanned, muscled-up guy I saw earlier this month!

Anyway, I just thought it was an interesting personal anecdote that contributed to the thread and refuted some points someone made earlier... he is still very much in Thailand, and appears to be fighting for his business. Believe me, or don't - that is, of course, your choice. But let's be clear that I'm saying I saw and heard this with my own eyes and ears as opposed to others who are making comments about his actions with no direct observation of the behavior upon which they're commenting!

I remember sitting there at 7am bleary eyed, and noticing a super-tanned, bleach-blonde hairplugged, 50's looking guy who was all muscled-up... he really stood out. Then I overheard his conversations which seemed pretty intense, but I had no context to put them in as I didn't know who he was

Maybe it was actually Tropo discussing where he was going to train next

• 2 weeks later...

So how is the gym at esplanade? Is it less crowded than Paragon right now?

all branches are closed except Paragon (and Chiang Mai)....but even Paragon is getting wobbly now....all bike spinning classes cancelled and other classes very sparse....

my prediction...the end (liquidation, not reorganization) is near.....

Trajan is spending too much time on the couch.

Esplanade is indeed open. I was there yesterday and on my way there now. It is much less busy than Paragon. Just don't tell anyone else. whistling.gif

Edited by Flex2791

Esplanade is indeed open. I was there yesterday and on my way there now. It is much less busy than Paragon. Just don't tell anyone else. whistling.gif

Ok thanks flex, should check it out.

thanks for the smart&@" response.

Ive been working out more at True Fitness (& will also join Fitness First) since California has been quickly dying at virtually all locations.

Visited Esplanade today. it has been closed but recently turned its lights back on because of court order even tho behind in payment (according to staff)...but very quiet...few members working out and no classes

I am in HCM on business now. There is a California Fitness near my hotel, so I walked on over. The normal daily rate is $20, but by showing my CaliWow card, I got in for $10.

This was a very nice gym. It had top-of-the-line equipment, it was well-maintained, and it was clean. I observed the trainers, and they seemed knowledgable. Even the people exercising had a decent amount of gym etiquette. I saw people re-stacking their weights and asking others if they wanted to work in.

I would be overjoyed if this branch of the California family came to Bangkok!

• 4 months later...

apparently the Silom branch of CaWow has been re-branded as something else. I think "Rush" fitness, or something like that.

also. Most ca-wow staff that had to quit when things started closing down still haven't gotten paid for their last month of work. They are trying to sue Cawow but it looks unlikely they will get their money.