Pepper Spraying A Dog

a pair of work boots and a kick to undercarriage of the most aggressive dog will put them all off ,

i dont mean kick him as a warning ,kick him like youve never kicked anything before ,and follow it up with 2 or 3 more

break a couple of ribs or get him under the chin if you can

you dont want to get into a streetfight with a dog ,disable him ASAP

if that doesnt work and you get bitten ,dip a sponge in gravy and watch him wolf it down then choke to death

charmingrolleyes.gif

I use my pepper spray for the village drunk who likes to attack ppl... Maybe he thinks he is a dog

i wonder what the drunk thinks of you to attack youwhistling.gif

Attacks everyone so i guess we all look the same to him

I use my pepper spray for the village drunk who likes to attack ppl... Maybe he thinks he is a dog

i wonder what the drunk thinks of you to attack youwhistling.gif

Dragging his bot bot along the ground and humping his leg might give you a clue...

I am not even sure about the legality of owning Pepper Spray in LOS??

I used one on the Ex-Wife but got arrested for assaulting a Dumb animal.....

Actually that's not very good is it..........biggrin.png

• Like 1

I carry a small pocket "tazer" when out walking with my dog - just point it in their general direction and press the button. No physical harm is done but the sound it makes is enough to terrify most dogs (my dog is used to it) and send them running. The tazers can be found at most markets at a stall selling knives, binoculars e.t.c for about 500thb and it also comes in handy to keep the missus subdued if she starts trying it on...... wink.png

Cheers,

Pikey.

I saw one that's dual use a working flashlight stun gun. They do work very well to scare away dogs according to a Thai friend

of mine who has one. They may or may not be legal, but taking a risk by carrying one discreetly is better than getting bit. I've been

bit twice, just use a stick now but considering getting a kreuang chock fai fa, the flashlite model.

When getting close to the dogs get off your bike make no eye contact with them and walk as far away from them as possible.... Good idea to have a back up stick as well if it goes pear shaped..wink.png. Good luck

Huh? Dogs like to attack from behind so this is really going to separate the men from the dogs. I ride my bike out in the boonies and there's always confrontational dogs in every village but most back off when you ride at them and make plenty noise... start practicing a 'Braveheart' style war cry! Also a well aimed kick works... but practice that if you are cycling in traffic.

If there are still some persistently aggressive dogs then pepper spray is unnecessary. The OP needs to get piece of 3/4" garden hosepipe about 3'-4' long, fill it with sand and attach that to the bike frame so that it is accessible and easy to detach and use. Next time the dogs come running up, suss out the leader and give the mutt a resounding whack on the nose with the improvised cosh. The nose is the most sensitive part of the dogs head and a well aimed blow will have the bugger running off whelping and barking. These dogs will always make a show of barking aggressively at the OP but that's from the memory of getting whupped and they won't be coming close any more.

I walk my two dogs twice a day in our local village.One is a rotweiler cross on a leash and another dog running free.There is one particular dog we pass every morning and this one used to attack the dog running free until one day I accidently rolleyes.gif lost my grip on the leash holding the other one.Problem

solved.

There are somethings you should do when confronted by an aggressive dog:

1 Never show fear to them.

2 Never turn and run away,you are just asking to be bitten.

3 It is better for you to use an aggressive approach than to show fear.

4 I also carry with me a heavy stick around a meter long and show the dog I have it.

5 Never take your eyes off the dog until you are sure that the danger is over.

There are many more things that you should keep in mind but remember that not all dogs are the same and some will not react as expented so you have to be prepared for any eventuality.

I am totally opposed to poison for any reason.If you have witnessed a dog dying from poison as I have, I hope you would feel the same.Poisoning was rife in my village until I found out who was doing it and suggested that people were aware who was responsible.Have not heard of anyone losing a dog since.

The reason they did it was because some dog was stealling shoes from the front of thier house.In the period that poisoning was rife I lost three dogs over two years and never gained one spare thong.

• Like 2

When getting close to the dogs get off your bike make no eye contact with them and walk as far away from them as possible.... Good idea to have a back up stick as well if it goes pear shaped..wink.png. Good luck

Huh? Dogs like to attack from behind so this is really going to separate the men from the dogs. I ride my bike out in the boonies and there's always confrontational dogs in every village but most back off when you ride at them and make plenty noise... start practicing a 'Braveheart' style war cry! Also a well aimed kick works... but practice that if you are cycling in traffic.

If there are still some persistently aggressive dogs then pepper spray is unnecessary. The OP needs to get piece of 3/4" garden hosepipe about 3'-4' long, fill it with sand and attach that to the bike frame so that it is accessible and easy to detach and use. Next time the dogs come running up, suss out the leader and give the mutt a resounding whack on the nose with the improvised cosh. The nose is the most sensitive part of the dogs head and a well aimed blow will have the bugger running off whelping and barking. These dogs will always make a show of barking aggressively at the OP but that's from the memory of getting whupped and they won't be coming close any more.

I walk my two dogs twice a day in our local village.One is a rotweiler cross on a leash and another dog running free.There is one particular dog we pass every morning and this one used to attack the dog running free until one day I accidently rolleyes.gif lost my grip on the leash holding the other one.Problem

solved.

4 I also carry with me a heavy stick around a meter long and show the dog I have it.

There are many more things that you should keep in mind but remember that not all dogs are the same and some will not react as expented so you have to be prepared for any eventuality.

I am totally opposed to poison for any reason.If you have witnessed a dog dying from poison as I have, I hope you would feel the same.Poisoning was rife in my village until I found out who was doing it and suggested that people were aware who was responsible.Have not heard of anyone losing a dog since.

The reason they did it was because some dog was stealling shoes from the front of thier house.In the period that poisoning was rife I lost three dogs over two years and never gained one spare thong.

the more worrying part of that post is: Would you want to gain a thong that was stolen from someone else ?

Can always buy 100baht bag of dog treats/biscuits and throw it to them when they come around. That might solve the problem and make some new friendsthumbsup.gif

That would be...3000Baht per month. rolleyes.gif

get a job or stay at homewhistling.gif

solved.

the more worrying part of that post is: Would you want to gain a thong that was stolen from someone else ?

If it was my size.

this is territorial as someone else has already said, they don't want to bite, they just want to protect their area, if they wanted to attack they would have done it by now.

When dogs do this to me I walk towards them and they back away, just never let any of them circle behind you. Once they know you are there and there to stay they will leave you alone, it might take a few tries but eventually they will get the message.

Can always buy 100baht bag of dog treats/biscuits and throw it to them when they come around. That might solve the problem and make some new friendsthumbsup.gif

The latter sounds fine to me, normally I send the wife out to refill the fridge with beer.

this is territorial as someone else has already said, they don't want to bite, they just want to protect their area, if they wanted to attack they would have done it by now.

When dogs do this to me I walk towards them and they back away, just never let any of them circle behind you. Once they know you are there and there to stay they will leave you alone, it might take a few tries but eventually they will get the message.

Agree with this.

The latter sounds fine to me, normally I send the wife out to refill the fridge with beer.

a role model of a husbandcheesy.gif

"Owning" a tazer or pepper spray is legal in Thailand. "Using" one is not.

You should be aware that if you spray either the dogs or the area in front of them (as previously recommended) the spray will linger in the area for a considerable time and you will certainly not be "Mr Popular" with 7-11 or their customers. If you think it dissipates quickly I suggest you try it first elsewhere to see how long it lasts - you may be unpleasantly surprised.

As has been suggested, try a small strong water pistol, large syringe, or "Jif" lemon, filled with vinegar or your own urine (or both!) and aim for the nose.

You should be aware that if you spray either the dogs or the area in front of them (as previously recommended) the spray will linger in the area for a considerable time and you will certainly not be "Mr Popular" with 7-11 or their customers. If you think it dissipates quickly I suggest you try it first elsewhere to see how long it lasts - you may be unpleasantly surprised.

As has been suggested, try a small strong water pistol, large syringe, or "Jif" lemon, filled with vinegar or your own urine (or both!) and aim for the nose.

The one time I needed to use my pepper spray as the dog was not backing down, it was around 7 a.m. on a stretch of beach rarely used by people (which is why I was walking my dogs there), and there were only a couple of people fishing nearby.

Even so, I suspect it dissipates pretty quickly as when I first bought it, a friend and I tried it out on my patio to see if it worked. It did and although it only squirted about a foot - as we were both standing right behind the 'squirt' it immediately got on our exposed skin! We obviously rinsed it off immediately, went back to the patio a couple of minutes later and it was gone entirely.

Agree though, that I wouldn't recommend spraying it anywhere near people. It may only sting until washed off, but they will not be happy!

The one time I needed to use my pepper spray as the dog was not backing down, it was around 7 a.m. on a stretch of beach rarely used by people (which is why I was walking my dogs there), and there were only a couple of people fishing nearby.

Even so, I suspect it dissipates pretty quickly as when I first bought it, a friend and I tried it out on my patio to see if it worked. It did and although it only squirted about a foot - as we were both standing right behind the 'squirt' it immediately got on our exposed skin! We obviously rinsed it off immediately, went back to the patio a couple of minutes later and it was gone entirely.

Agree though, that I wouldn't recommend spraying it anywhere near people. It may only sting until washed off, but they will not be happy!

Err, then that's not the kind of pepper spray I tried. I used to own a bar/restaurant (I know, I know) and bought a small can "just in case". Well, after hours one night, I gave it a real short squirt and this was more like a gas - <deleted> me, it nigh on sucked the oxygen out of the air and started my eyes streaming and me coughing my lungs up and lingered for about 5 - 10 minutes. Let me say, you definitely would NOT want to let that stuff off in a public area. Black & gold can about the size of a woman's lipstick tube and labelled "Super Defender Pepper Spray Gas" - bought from the same kind of market stall that sells all the knives and ninja stuff. whistling.gif

Cheers,

Pikey.

.....although it only squirted about a foot - as we were both standing right behind the 'squirt' it immediately got on our exposed skin! We obviously rinsed it off immediately, went back to the patio a couple of minutes later and it was gone entirely.

Err, then that's not the kind of pepper spray I tried. ....

Pikey.

Not the type I'm used to either (and, albeit a good while ago, I was a qualified instructor in its use).

If the spray only went "about a foot" its next to useless against anything or anyone - the spray should be a fine jet, which goes up to two meters.

If you could wash it off effectively with water and it was gone in a couple of minutes its entirely useless. Neither CS nor OC is water soluble. Far from "obviously" being the best remedy, rinsing any CS / pepper type spray off with water is one of the the worst things to do as it can make things much worse. There are various supposed remedies such as baby shampoo, vinegar, honey, milk, etc, but the only effective immediate treatment is to face into the wind and cry.

Thanks for all the replies. I decided to keep my bike lock in hand while I ride because it's more than just the 7-11 dogs that try to attack. The route I take has about 3 other areas where I have to be careful. The bike lock is a nice piece of cable with a metal piece on the end. It's worked great so far. I haven't had to hit any dogs yet which is nice but I came pretty close with 1 in particular. I know he is just being territorial. Luckily I hear him barking when I get close and when he runs to me I get off my bike and put it between him and myself. I have the cable in hand and swing towards him and that sends him off. I stand my ground as he tries to come back and move towards him and his space. Eventually he backs off completely and then I get back on the bike and continue on my way. I do the same thing almost everyday that the dog sees me but it seems he is backing away sooner and with more ease each time. I'm sure the locals get a good laugh at it but I don't care much. I like the idea of carrying a squirt gun but it might be hard to carry while I ride.

I like the idea of carrying a squirt gun but it might be hard to carry while I ride.

The small CS/Pepper Spray canisters will clip into most "clip-in" pump holders, so can be easily and unobtrusively carried on the bike frame while being close at hand; I really would recommend trying the vinegar/urine spray from a small water pistol/ Jif lemon (the urine establishes you as being higher up in the pecking/peeing order!).