Air Con Went Bang.... Died

haveaniceday

Hi, I am looking for any tips before I get ripped off form the air con man !

It is a Mitsubishi split system, a small one about 12000btu. While running during the night set to 27' it made a thump and died. It shows no sign of any life now.

Any tips, is there a common little safety switch or something in them I can try?

Thanks

That sound could be a blown compressor piston (happens if tries to compress liquid rather than gas) so it could involve replacement of the compressor. As said normally units will be protected by a breaker located near the fan coil inside unit so perhaps that is all you heard and if reset will work?

with my new Hitachi 2 ton unit about a month after installation there was a horrible noise and I shut it down immediately...it sounded like the rotating component in the evaporator (inside the house) came off it's bearings...but then I fired it up again and it ran smooth but with no refrigeration...

after investigation by the dealer it turned out that one of refrigerant pipes outside failed catastrophically (due to an installation screw up) and the noise inside was the sound of the escaping refrigerant...the refrigerant is under pressure and a lot of noisy gas rushing to escape thru the pipe rupture is reasonable...it was under warranty and they fixed it...

scared hell outta me...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

did the "thump" come from the unit inside the room, or the ooutside unit? Compressor is outside. The inside unit really just has a fan and some coils. Also some electrical controls.

If the inside unit made the thump, was there a burning smell from the fan motor?

Was there a hissing for a short time after the thump, which would indicate a burst pipe?

There was no hissing, no smell.

The compressor I though was sealed? The fan and the cooling metal fins around the compressor out side is clean to look at.

Inside, the filters are clean regually but yes, there is a big of crap in there on the fins and the rotatory fan blades inside. I have seen much worse though. It would be time for a annual 'deep clean', the 2500b job.

I thought the thump came from inside, but I honestly do not know, as the compressor is on the wall out side, and there is a window under the inside air con that a big bang noise could have come through the window.

The breakers are set OK.

If the compressor died, wouldn't there still be power to the actual unit?

I will go look for this : As said normally units will be protected by a breaker located near the fan coil inside unit so perhaps that is all you heard and if reset will work?

Thanks.

It would be time for a annual 'deep clean', the 2500b job

that must be the annual Farang special service when they sprinkle gold dust on the evaporator, rinse the drain pipe with 27 year old single malt and leave as a bonus medication for the sick family buffalo of the Thai in-laws laugh.png

• Like 2

Compressor?

When was it last cleaned?

w00t.gifsick.gifw00t.gif

aw, c'mon Dr Naam, give the poor guy a break; we all know that compressors can't be cleaned but he's talkin' about the outside compressor unit and the finned heat rejection arrangement for which there is a routine cleaning/maintenance procedure...mostly just to blast the mother with water under high pressure which will improve the heat rejection efficiency but not much else...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Compressor?

When was it last cleaned?

w00t.gifsick.gifw00t.gif

aw, c'mon Dr Naam, give the poor guy a break; we all know that compressors can't be cleaned but he's talkin' about the outside compressor unit and the finned heat rejection arrangement for which there is a routine cleaning/maintenance procedure...mostly just to blast the mother with water under high pressure which will improve the heat rejection efficiency but not much else...

aw, c'mon Uncle Tutsi, give poor Naam a break... there's nothing wrong with "blasting the mother" tongue.png but

heat rejection efficiency
w00t.gif

But not at 2,500 baht!

We pay 500 baht here in Bangkok. And it includes both inside and outside and it does make a big difference in the cooling.

a fair price! i pay 400 per unit and that includes the odd topping up with refrigerant of one or two units. in my case the charge is relatively low because of the number of units to be serviced.

that must be the annual Farang special service when they sprinkle gold dust on the evaporator, rinse the drain pipe with 27 year old single malt and leave as a bonus medication for the sick family buffalo of the Thai in-laws laugh.png

Yes, but given the 2500 baht service charge cost, how much gold dust would have been used? when would it have been bought, at what price did they procure it, and what should they have leveraged it against?

more importantly, what price do you see their service charge at 1 year from now??

w00t.gif

dunno...I'd say do a heat balance around the heat rejection unit with an allowance for the insulating effect of the crud on the dirty fins and then calculate the associated power consumption and compare with a clean arrangement and there might be a slight difference...sad.png

Edited by tutsiwarrior

With cute 18yo twin virgin girls wearing those sexy White overalls. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

w00t.gif

dunno...I'd say do a heat balance around the heat rejection unit with an allowance for the insulating effect of the crud on the dirty fins and then calculate the associated power consumption and compare with a clean arrangement and there might be a slight difference...sad.png

a rather efficient way to reduce the associated power consumption is to coat the condenser fins with an alloy of Unobtainium and Quadlithium which increases the heat rejection exponentially especially at full moon and high tides. to reduce friction of rotary compressor pistons it is advisable to replace normal lubricant with snake oil of high potency. applying the latter, heavy aircon users can reduce their electricity bills by at least 0.179% and increase cooling capacity by 0.036%.

for more and detailed information surf

http://www.naams-sciencebull.org

w00t.gif

a rather efficient way to reduce the associated power consumption is to coat the condenser fins with an alloy of Unobtainium and Quadlithium which increases the heat rejection exponentially especially at full moon and high tides. to reduce friction of rotary compressor pistons it is advisable to replace normal lubricant with snake oil of high potency. applying the latter, heavy aircon users can reduce their electricity bills by at least 0.179% and increase cooling capacity by 0.036%.

is there a market for unobtainium? I've got a load in a box in my garage that my MiL can get for free in the village...she tried to sell it down the market but there were no customers...but her runner beans are very popular...

maybe I'll take the box to BKK down Soi Nana and peddle it to the girls to say: 'this is special stuff that increases heat transfer (per informed sources) and if you smear it all over yer body before sex the result shall be that you will get many repeat customers and then you can increase the ST price...just think of the 'sick buffalo' equivalent!'

Edited by tutsiwarrior

w00t.gif

is there a market for unobtainium? I've got a load in a box in my garage that my MiL can get for free in the village...she tried to sell it down the market but there were no customers...but her runner beans are very popular...

maybe I'll take the box to BKK down Soi Nana and peddle it to the girls to say: 'this is special stuff that increases heat transfer and if you smear it all over yer body before sex the result shall be that you will get many repeat customers and then you can increase the ST price...just think of the 'sick buffalo' equivalent!'

Doesn't whitening cream have the same effect? :rolleyes:

^ well, whitening cream is commonly available and one has to consider the allure of an exotic susbstance like unobtainium as a marketing advantage...

Unobtanium is not biodegradable though. :(