New Pajero Sport 2.5Vg Turbo

I had a look at the new Pajero Sport 2.5VG Turbo 2wd GT yesterday and was pretty impressed. It has lots of extras and the 2wd did not seem that expensive at 1,179.000 baht (before discount) when compared to other similar vehicles. Have any TV members had a test drive in the new Pajero Sport. I was quoted July delivery but want to find out a little more about the vehicle. Its quite a big vehicle and l was wondering if the engine is underpowered for a vehicle of its size and should l consider the 4wd drive option which costs about 200,000 baht more. Not interested in off roading but think the 4wd will be not be as good on the fuel economy. Any advice or thoughts would be most appreciated. Thank you

I've driven my bro-in-laws top model 4wd a few times and its powerful enough. The 2wd should be even better, and better on fuel economy. I'm not sure of his economy though as I never asked. I find it a little noisy on hard acceleration, but I guess that is to be expected for a diesel (I normally drive a sedan). I think the 2wd is better value then the 4wd. Is that the only difference between the two? Looking at the ranger the 4wd system is worth 100K more, so I think 200K difference is not justified, especially as you don't plan to do offroading. My only concern would be the tan interior will need a lot of work to keep it looking good, especially if you got kids! It's worth a test drive.

I've driven my bro-in-laws top model 4wd a few times and its powerful enough. The 2wd should be even better, and better on fuel economy. I'm not sure of his economy though as I never asked. I find it a little noisy on hard acceleration, but I guess that is to be expected for a diesel (I normally drive a sedan). I think the 2wd is better value then the 4wd. Is that the only difference between the two? Looking at the ranger the 4wd system is worth 100K more, so I think 200K difference is not justified, especially as you don't plan to do offroading. My only concern would be the tan interior will need a lot of work to keep it looking good, especially if you got kids! It's worth a test drive.

Many thanks for your views. Will book a test drive. No kids so the interior should be ok. Do not know why the Pajero Sport does not offer different coloured interior

If you are not planning to do serious four wheeling definitely go for the 2WD, it is the better car to drive. saving money never hurts either!!

There are plenty of other threads going on the Pajero Sport and SUVs in general so have a search through those for more info. In summary, it seems pretty much everybody that has one is pretty happy with them, including myself.

• 2 weeks later...

The PJS is a good vehicle and I am happy with my 2011 4WD. The engine power is OK, especially considering the engine size and vehicle weight. The only disadvantages are a little turbo lag occasionally and noise when you accelerate hard.

The 2WD is good value and probably a nicer drive in good conditions. The 4WD is good if you want to use it off road but also on slippery roads. Acceleration out of slow corners in the wet in 2WD can be slowed by the diesel torque spinning the inside wheel. In 4WD it just grips and goes. The 4WD system on the PJS is more expensive but better than most part time systems on pick ups. The PJS has a centre diff and can be used as a constant 4WD or All Wheel Drive on the normal roads like the Fortuner, Jeeps, Range Rovers and newer Land Rovers etc. The Mitsu Super Select system is unusual in that it allows 2WD as well as AWD. The shifter could be better positioned though.

I agree the tan interior is not the easiest to keep clean but it is hard to avoid in Thai cars. I read somewhere the new V6 petrol PJS may have a black interior. Anyone know if that is true.

The PJS is a good vehicle and I am happy with my 2011 4WD. The engine power is OK, especially considering the engine size and vehicle weight. The only disadvantages are a little turbo lag occasionally and noise when you accelerate hard.

The 2WD is good value and probably a nicer drive in good conditions. The 4WD is good if you want to use it off road but also on slippery roads. Acceleration out of slow corners in the wet in 2WD can be slowed by the diesel torque spinning the inside wheel. In 4WD it just grips and goes. The 4WD system on the PJS is more expensive but better than most part time systems on pick ups. The PJS has a centre diff and can be used as a constant 4WD or All Wheel Drive on the normal roads like the Fortuner, Jeeps, Range Rovers and newer Land Rovers etc. The Mitsu Super Select system is unusual in that it allows 2WD as well as AWD. The shifter could be better positioned though.

I agree the tan interior is not the easiest to keep clean but it is hard to avoid in Thai cars. I read somewhere the new V6 petrol PJS may have a black interior. Anyone know if that is true.

I have seen the PJS GT with Black Interior and Black seatbelts. Also mine is a 2010 3.2 Lt GT 4x4 and there is no doubt that they hold their price far better than the 2 wheel drive version. It's hard to find a 2010 model for under 1 million baht and in this country with the Wet and Slippery roads i would always recommend the 4x4 for extra safety and if you fit Michelin Cross Terraine Tyres which are made in Poland to the standard 17in wheels you won't believe the difference in the grip and are fantastic at high speed in the corners. They remind me of the old Michelin XAS radials of the early 70's which are still availably today, they were the first tyres that i raced on in 1971 and have a different tread pattern on the inside than the outside of the tyre. Also these cross terrains are very Quiet on the highway at all speeds and have a higher speed rateing than the origional Bridgestones.