Cooking/kitchens In Thailand

GPage

I have posted a few items in my search for information regarding my pending relocation to Thailand. Thanks to those of you who have responded. All of the information is appreciated and very helpful.

I have always loved Thai food. After my year long stint in the USAF in '70-'71 at Korat RTAFB, I returned to the states wondering if I would ever taste Thai food again. Once I got out of the service, I moved to S. California to begin my life and career. By the late 70's and early 80's, there was a huge influx of Thai restaurants that had popped up all over California - specifically in Los Angeles and surrounding areas. I was ecstatic! I tried them all, it seems, and found the best ones to be either the very large restaurants with extensive menus, or the tiny hole in the wall places in the crappy parts of town. In between, there were a number of quasi-Thai places that were actually Chinese restaurants and added the "Thai" portion to their logos and menus. Not authentic and not very good. I found that, unless there was a statue of Buddah behind the cash register and some incense and offerings, that I was not in a real Thai place.

So, I am looking forward to enjoying the local cuisine when I return. But, over the years, I have also become somewhat of a good cook and love to spend a few hours preparing Creole and Chinese dishes at home.

As I am looking at potential Thai homes for rent, I notice that there are no ovens. This seems reasonable given the type of cooking done by most Thais. But, I was wondering what I can expect if I want to do my own cooking for the majority of my meals. Are ingredients readily available for other than Thai dishes? Do ovens exist? How do most of the burners/stoves work?

If any ex-pats are reading this and enjoy doing their own cooking, I would welcome their advise and input. If push comes to shove, I would be entirely happy living out my days eating Thai food in the local markets. But, I would hate to think I may have to give up making a few of my favorites dishes as well.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Peace

Gary

I have posted a few items in my search for information regarding my pending relocation to Thailand.  Thanks to those of you who have responded.  All of the information is appreciated and very helpful.

I have always loved Thai food.  After my year long stint in the USAF in  '70-'71 at Korat RTAFB, I returned to the states wondering if I would ever taste Thai food again.  Once I got out of the service, I moved to S. California to begin my life and career.  By the late 70's and early 80's, there was a huge influx of Thai restaurants that had popped up all over California - specifically in Los Angeles and surrounding areas.  I was ecstatic!  I tried them all, it seems, and found the best ones to be either the very large restaurants with extensive menus, or the tiny hole in the wall places in the crappy parts of town.  In between, there were a number of quasi-Thai places that were actually Chinese restaurants and added the "Thai" portion to their logos and menus.  Not authentic and not very good.  I found that, unless there was a statue of Buddah behind the cash register and some incense and offerings, that I was not in a real Thai place.

So, I am looking forward to enjoying the local cuisine when I return.  But, over the years, I have also become somewhat of a good cook and love to spend a few hours preparing Creole and Chinese dishes at home.

As I am looking at potential Thai homes for rent, I notice that there are no ovens.  This seems reasonable given the type of cooking done by most Thais.  But, I was wondering what I can expect if I want to do my own cooking for the majority of my meals.  Are ingredients readily available for other than Thai dishes?  Do ovens exist?  How do most of the burners/stoves work?

If any ex-pats are reading this and enjoy doing their own cooking, I would welcome their advise and input.  If push comes to shove, I would be entirely happy living out my days eating Thai food in the local markets.  But, I would hate to think I may have to give up making a few of my favorites dishes as well.

Peace

Gary

Geoff, It all depends on what type of property you will be renting. If its a condo then most will come with a full farang oven/cooker ( at least the ones I looked at) Others will come with just a burner or multiples of such. I personally got a 4 burner hob, I have an electric rice steamer, which also steams veg / seafood and I also purchased an electric table top oven grill for when I got the urge for a roast dinner. One of the great pleasures I have is wondering round the local markets getting my supplies. I go every day even if I do not need anything. Hope this has put your mind at rest, Cheers Happy woking Dunc :o

GPage,

An oven costs about 3,000 baht in Thailand. Personally I love oven cooked food and wouldn't be without an oven as part of the cooker.

Such a lot of crap Thai food is also turned out now on markets and side stalls that I wouldn't even bother with them if you can do a bit of cooking yourself. It's like the Chinese restaurant syndrome in UK..... the food is no longer Chinese it's adapted crap. Same goes for many Thai food shops here in Thailand.

Seonai

I have posted a few items in my search for information regarding my pending relocation to Thailand.  Thanks to those of you who have responded.  All of the information is appreciated and very helpful.

I have always loved Thai food.  After my year long stint in the USAF in  '70-'71 at Korat RTAFB, I returned to the states wondering if I would ever taste Thai food again.  Once I got out of the service, I moved to S. California to begin my life and career.  By the late 70's and early 80's, there was a huge influx of Thai restaurants that had popped up all over California - specifically in Los Angeles and surrounding areas.  I was ecstatic!  I tried them all, it seems, and found the best ones to be either the very large restaurants with extensive menus, or the tiny hole in the wall places in the crappy parts of town.  In between, there were a number of quasi-Thai places that were actually Chinese restaurants and added the "Thai" portion to their logos and menus.  Not authentic and not very good.  I found that, unless there was a statue of Buddah behind the cash register and some incense and offerings, that I was not in a real Thai place.

So, I am looking forward to enjoying the local cuisine when I return.  But, over the years, I have also become somewhat of a good cook and love to spend a few hours preparing Creole and Chinese dishes at home.

As I am looking at potential Thai homes for rent, I notice that there are no ovens.  This seems reasonable given the type of cooking done by most Thais.  But, I was wondering what I can expect if I want to do my own cooking for the majority of my meals.  Are ingredients readily available for other than Thai dishes?  Do ovens exist?  How do most of the burners/stoves work?

If any ex-pats are reading this and enjoy doing their own cooking, I would welcome their advise and input.  If push comes to shove, I would be entirely happy living out my days eating Thai food in the local markets.  But, I would hate to think I may have to give up making a few of my favorites dishes as well.

Peace

Gary

Geoff, It all depends on what type of property you will be renting. If its a condo then most will come with a full farang oven/cooker ( at least the ones I looked at) Others will come with just a burner or multiples of such. I personally got a 4 burner hob, I have an electric rice steamer, which also steams veg / seafood and I also purchased an electric table top oven grill for when I got the urge for a roast dinner. One of the great pleasures I have is wondering round the local markets getting my supplies. I go every day even if I do not need anything. Hope this has put your mind at rest, Cheers Happy woking Dunc :o

Thanks, Dunc. Good information. I am looking forward to shopping, cooking, etc. Have to keep busy somehow. Hopefully, I will become proficient with preparing some Thai dishes as well.

G

GPage,

An oven costs about 3,000 baht in Thailand. Personally I love oven cooked food and wouldn't be without an oven as part of the cooker.

Such a lot of crap Thai food is also turned out now on markets and side stalls that I wouldn't even bother with them if you can do a bit of cooking yourself. It's like the Chinese restaurant syndrome in UK..... the food is no longer Chinese it's adapted crap. Same goes for many Thai food shops here in Thailand.

Seonai

Seonai,

Thanks alot for the update and info. I agree with the "adaptation" theory when it comes to ethnic of Asian food. The original taste sometimes gets diluted depending on where you go or how the food is prepared. Great, authentic Thai or Chinese food is hard to come by most everywhere in the U.S. I would think that the vendors in Thailand would be the barometer, but I'm sure they sometimes take short cuts and feed the "tourists" a different fare than they might make for themselves.

I appreciate the information. If I get my oven, I'll have you over for Thanksgiving dinner sometime.

Peace,

Gary

A REAL oven is between 25,000 and 30,000bt. They are primarily wall ovens, although a free-standing stove and oven combo like most homes in the US have is available. I think the cheaper price is for a toaster-oven style oven or a rotisserie roaster appliance. Both of them actually might be a better idea than a Western oven.

A REAL oven is between 25,000 and 30,000bt. They are primarily wall ovens, although a free-standing stove and oven combo like most homes in the US have is available.  I think the cheaper price is for a toaster-oven style oven or a rotisserie roaster appliance. Both of them actually might be a better idea than a Western oven.

The Electrolux oven going in our kitchen ran 26,000 baht.

You can find ovens at places like Homepro.

Boonthavorn, a kitchen/bath store in Ratchadapisek, Dindaeng, has some really fantastic ovens from which to choose.

You can get free standing gas ovens from about 4-5,000 bhat, for the cheapest. I paid about 8,000 for mine, 3 gas burners, 1 electricity, with top and bottom burners forthe oven, so you can use it for a grill as well, its an electrulux. Its fairly basic and if you have small children be carful as it does get hot on the outside, but it cooks well enough. Home pro in Future Park has a large range running from the cheapest up to 30,000+.

RC

If its a condo then most will come with a full farang oven/cooker ( at least the ones I looked at)

That's strange. I have never, ever seen a condo with an oven looking in the 20-80K range in Bangkok. Even among high end serviced apartments catering to farangs, I only know of one that has an oven. If needed I agree with the advice, take a good look at toaster ovens as an option as they have quite a few advantages if they are suitable for your needs.

Where in Thailand are you locating to? Here's some upcountry feedback:

Even in the boonies of Isan, I see western-style electric and gas stove/oven combinations for sale in the larger cities. No problem there.

However, the "kitchen" is another story. Isan people have traditionally cooked outside the house. I looked at a newly-built shop house when I first came to Isan, but couldn't find the kitchen. It turned out to be an afterthought--kind of a lean-to slapped to the back of the structure. Three sides enclosed and one open to nature. No counters or outlets--just a water spigot about waist high.

I ended up moving into a newly-built duplex, where I had to "create" the kitchen within the unit. Bought my one-burner gas stove (3,000 baht), a kitchen sink with counter (800 baht), and had the landlord send his handyman to come over and plumb the kitchen for water inlet and outlet (500 baht, including materials). Not the standard high-rise Chicago condo unit, but it works.

Interestingly, near to my unit is a very expensive home (high wrought-iron gates, expansive yard with beautiful landscaping, two-storey, quite new and very attractive. It would be an eye-turner even in Bangkok.) Frequently, I'll smell a good Thai/Isan meal being prepared. I look over the fence and the upper-class matron of the house is stooped over a little ceramic charcoal cooker in the backyard. Her daughter (or maybe it's the maid) is nearby, pounding som-tam on a rickety wooden table. No this isn't a special cook-out with shrimp on the barby. This is the norm. Despite a fully-modern home, their kitchen of choice is still the back yard.

Another reminder that there are two Thailands: Bangkok, and the rest of Thailand... :o

Edited by toptuan

I have a 2-burner butane stove, a microwave, a counter top electric oven (about 5000.00B), a small charcoal grill (Thai style and outside), an electric wok and a rice cooker and all of those items combined would run less then 20,000.00B. We can cook just about anything you want with this combination. The small electric oven has been used to bake, broil a large roast, broil whole chickens (has a built in rotisery), make macroni & cheese, casarols, etc.

Should be no problem finding most ingredients you need for cooking.

Interestingly, near to my unit is a very expensive home (high wrought-iron gates, expansive yard with beautiful landscaping,  two-storey, quite new and very attractive.  It would be an eye-turner even in Bangkok.)  Frequently,  I'll smell a good Thai/Isan meal being prepared.  I look over the fence and the upper-class matron of the house is stooped over a little ceramic charcoal cooker in the backyard.  Her daughter (or maybe it's the maid) is nearby, pounding som-tam on a rickety wooden table.  No this isn't a special cook-out with shrimp on the barby.  This is the norm.  Despite a fully-modern home, their kitchen of choice is still the back yard.

We've just bought a new Isaan house and have to fit out for a kitchen. My wife wants to do her cooking outside and is going to make her own kitchen - I'm going to fit out a Western one inside! We currently live in HK where we have a pokey Western fitted kitchen, and the fat mist from my wife's cooking tends to get everywhere, so an outside kitchen for Thai cooking is a good idea IMO.

We've just bought a new Isaan house and have to fit out for a kitchen. My wife wants to do her cooking outside and is going to make her own kitchen - I'm going to fit out a Western one inside! We currently live in HK where we have a pokey Western fitted kitchen, and the fat mist from my wife's cooking tends to get everywhere, so an outside kitchen for Thai cooking is a good idea IMO.

Yea, we go visit friends in the urban housing developments with those nice wide streets and white houses with red tile roofs and their nice little western style kitchens and still everyone cooks outside on the back porch often using those little clay pots filled with charcoal no different that the poorest rural folks. Only common difference is the big fridge inside and the electric rice cooker. But the actual food cooking is outside over charcoal or maybe a small propane stove. My young Thai friends who live in condos, heck, they don't cook, they eat out or bring in food from the market. How you going to ventilate a condo or apartment?