Bangkok High School Students Stage Hunger Strike In Protest Of Enrollment Policy

webfact

yet i dont see those free international schools popping up.

also no hunger strikes why the existing ones doesnt take on just anyone...

i meant rich, ie. seat for pay unis and schools. not tea money kind, but tuition fees, with no guarantee else than a chance to study. no work done from student, then pay up again for repeat the year.

works the other side of the world.

And if you don't think that the vast majority of international schools in Thailand are marginal at best you are sadly wrong. Comparing the fees for the top ones, you could virtually send a kid to an above average high boarding school in the UK, which with league tables (not everyone likes them) you at least have an idea of what you are paying for, plus facilities for extra-curricular activities that the vat majority of international schools in this country could only dream about.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only the poor can understand what these people feel. It can't be a good feeling when being pushed back in the queue as the rich need to be served first.

The gap is getting too wide and obvious between rich and poor. Rich people fell into the habit of taking their kids to - at some point useless - various private tutoring, paying a lot than boasting about it. It has become a competition between parents and families.

And on the other end of the stick the poor are getting brushed aside even from the public education. People who have never been poor would never understand this all but makes jokes about it. This really is not comic but a sorrowful display of a society.

Students Continue Hunger Strike

BANGKOK: -- A number of high school students from Bodindecha School are continuing a hunger strike after the education minister said he will find other schools for them.

Education Minister Suchart Thadathamrongvech met with parents and ninth graders from Bodindindecha School who petitioned against the admission system at the school.

They have been suspiciously disqualified from the same school despite the school's promise that 80 percent of the current students would be enrolled into the tenth grade.

Suchart said a committee has been set up by the Office of the Basic Education Commission to look into the allegation and all complaints are welcomed.

He clarified that principles for selection of students to further study in the tenth grade were laid down during the term of the previous government, when Chinaworn Bunyakiat from the Democrat Party was education minister, and it remains unchanged.

As for solution to the problem, Suchart said famous schools will be asked to increase the admission of students, but the selection process must be in line with the Education Ministry's rules.

A committee will be set up in each education zone to find other schools for rejected students.

Secretary general of the Basic Education Commission, Shinapat Poomrat, said the selection process must be conducted with transparency.

Students who feel they were treated unfairly can petition the Basic Education Office.

Apiwat Sorthnanusak, one of the students who have been on hunger strike since May 19, said he will continue the protest as he believes that he will be allowed to further study at the school if it followed its promise that 80 percent of the current students would be enrolled into the tenth grade.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2012-05-22

footer_n.gif

It is purely down to some fat cat director ( who is related to someone or knows someone with power.....) wanting more tea money and the unfortunate parents not being able to meet his disgusting demands. The M.O.E should be fully investigating this situation but alas I am sure it will be swept under the rug with-in the week.

As sad and corrupted as this situation is. It's a harsh reality of life. I just really hate to see that the children are involved in this and how it sets a bad example for them. They are still growing up and learning about our adult life and society, even though as imperfect as it is. And also having their opportunity taken away unfairly.

But once we get pass that stage. This is society. Survival of the fittest. So let's say, today, there was no tea money, and the "so called poor kids" got their seats 80%. What happens to the rich kids? What happen to the 20% "poor kids"?

Main problem is the lack of availability. That is the problem, dont blame anything else. Problems exist regardless of which side wins. One side will always lose. And none are the judge to which side should deserve what and what.

What does our society revolve around? Yes, money. What does the rich have? Money. = power. It's about time the 90% of the population start realizing, it's not how hard you work. It's not how you are such a nice and good person and doing the right thing. It's how much income you can produce. The specific type of income I am talking about is not targetted at occupation income, but "rich income". Portfolio, investment, businesses, trade, etc.

A school is a business. To make money by providing a service. Teachers are not there to make your kids smarter, they are being paid to provide labor to customers. As a business, it resorts to a market, demand and supply. As stated earlier, I see no faults with the people in this game on either side, be man enough and accept the truth. As demand overcomes supply, the price will rise, we can all accept that. The highest paying demander gets the last available supply. Nothing is fair. I am sure this rich people would not crammed their kids into this school if they had other choices. But it seems they are limited to this last resort.

1) Build more public/private schools targetted at the lower income. Make more availability.

2) Dont blame the rich, blame yourself that you cant compete enough to be rich to buy that seat. Trust me, human nature, if today the poor could exchange places with the rich, they would do what is best for their child in their power. So no faults at either side.

And if you don't think that the vast majority of international schools in Thailand are marginal at best you are sadly wrong.

There are international schools in Thailand, and "international" schools.*

*Please note the inverted commas around the second international, i'm sure you'll get the meaning....thumbsup.gif

20 classes per year, 50 student in each class, making it 10,000 intake each year.

Traim Udom produces the highest quality of Thai brains i Thailand.

No other school even come close.

The class sizes don't fill me with confidence that the pupils will receive the quality of education you claim.

And if you don't think that the vast majority of international schools in Thailand are marginal at best you are sadly wrong.

There are international schools in Thailand, and "international" schools.*

*Please note the inverted commas around the second international, i'm sure you'll get the meaning....thumbsup.gif

Well, that was exactly my point. The vast majority of them are of debatable quality. I know approximately which ones are any good, but I asked a friend in Bangkok who isn't employed at one of the top ones to recommend an international junior school for a Thai friend, close to where she lived. His answer was simply you either go to the top 4 or 5, the rest range from average to pretty poor, with little way to work out whether they are good or not. Then compare the fees at the very top one's and you can get access to many very decent boarding schools in the NZ, SA or for a bit more the UK.

If the pound drops even more, it will end up cheaper.

Edited by Thai at Heart

20 classes per year, 50 student in each class, making it 10,000 intake each year.

The class sizes don't fill me with confidence that the pupils will receive the quality of education you claim.

Nore do the math skills.

Nore do the math skills.

Nore?? clap2.gif

Nore do the math skills.

Nore?? clap2.gif

My fat fingers need to go on a diet.

Yes, such schools don't 'produce' good students - they already took the best students from across the country in M3 - a number of my students go there every year - why should they get all the credit for my school's efforts?