Thaksin At Odds With Reds Over Call For Justice

webfact

ANALYSIS

Thaksin at odds with reds over call for justice

Avudh Panananda

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The message on reconciliation from former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra is crystal clear but the outcome of any such efforts is still in a state of flux.

In a few short remarks to the red-shirt rally on Saturday, Thaksin outlined how his future would hinge on mending fences.

"Should reconciliation happen, I will have an opportunity to serve my fellow Thai citizens," he said.

"If you don't want to reconcile, I don't mind living abroad. But you should think who would benefit from the continuing fight because only arms merchants will become rich."

To his critics, Thaksin has confirmed he equates reconciliation with his amnesty. Repairing damage caused by political conflict will pave the way for him to return to public service as well as help absolve legal issues hurled at him since the 2006 coup.

If and when the amnesty debate kicks off, his supporters have to ensure the passage of a complex set of legislation in order to repeal his fugitive status and wipe the legal slate clean for a fresh start.

The new charter has to renounce the power seizure and expunge coup-initiated legal action against Thaksin. The amnesty provisions have to address his conviction, punishment, pending trials, ongoing probes and asset seizure.

If Thaksin aspires to hold office again, his amnesty has to cancel his two-year jail term as well as return Bt46 billion in seized assets. In fact, the prison sentence is seen as a lesser hurdle than the asset seizure. While there are a number of ways for Thaksin to overcome his jail term, he has to have his assets returned and the record of them being seized expunged. He cannot return to be prime minister or a member of Cabi-net without that matter being annulled - people holding such posts must not have their assets seized due to unusual wealth.

Previous two prime ministers, Sarit Thanarat and Thanom Kittikachorn, failed to secure the return of assets that were seized.

Meanwhile, Thaksin's critic Sondhi Limthongkul has scheduled Saturday to launch a political talk show designed to raise awareness about political reforms. This is seen as a renewed struggle to block an amnesty for Thaksin.

The pro- and anti-Thaksin camps have started to try and outwit each other in a proxy fight via the charter change.

To clear Thaksin's name, his supporters have to dominate the charter rewriting process. His critics are equally determined to block every step of the way over the next 10 months, eight of which will be taken up drafting the new constitution, while two will be needed for a referendum vote.

It is noteworthy that Thaksin's downfall in 2005 was triggered by his family's sale of telecom shares. Opposition grew in leaps and bounds because many saw the whopping Bt76-billion sale as a plunder of national assets.

A hasty attempt to get his wealth back may land Thaksin in trouble once again.

The main thrust of his phone-in speech on Saturday, however, was aimed at the red shirts. By pleading for his red allies to rally behind reconciliation to facilitate a speedy homecoming for himself, Thaksin has conceded that significant numbers of his allies oppose moves toward reconciliation - at the expense of uncovering the truth behind the political strife in 2010. But for red-shirt leaders at the Ratchaprasong rally, their key message was a demand for justice over the bloodshed. No-one talked about bringing Thaksin home.

On the issue of reconciliation, it is clear that Thaksin and his red allies are not on the same page.

Thaksin wants the red shirts to let bygones be bygones. But the reds insist on uncovering the truth about their blood spilled before this occurs.

It will be interesting indeed to see how Thaksin will appease his allies, and critics, in a bid to secure an amnesty, and his other personal goals.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-05-22

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Should reconciliation happen, I will have an opportunity to serve my fellow Thai citizens," he said.

"If you don't want to reconcile, I don't mind living abroad. But you should think who would benefit from the continuing fight because only arms merchants will become rich."

A thinly veiled threat against the ENTIRE country, roughly translated:

"Let me back to run the show and you will have political stability through my dictatorship. Refuse and I will carry on dividing the country through 'direct action' only more so, until you are on your collective knees begging for mercy."

Question is, does he still need the reds to accomplish his goal or have they served their purpose?

The veiled threat about the arms merchants should be highlighted to every living soul in this country. When I first read it I thought he was intimating civil war.

I read it the same way, the question is, will the wool slip down from the Red Shirts eyes for them to see how he has been manipulating and expending their lives for his own purposes?

• Like 1

The way I read this is as follows:

Reconcile or fight.

If you don't reconcile, it's fine with me, I am happy in Dubai.

If you choose to fight, no-one benefits.

Does this make me a rouge?

• Like 1

Dear grass roots Red Shirts. What do the following 2 lines mean to you?

In another thread Korkaew said there's nothing Pheu Thai can do about the judicial branch. "I don't think we can tell them what to do.."

Thaksin is smart enough to realise this true; that the red leaders are likely to get savage penalties when they face a court; and that he may share their fate if he can't organise an amnesty.

Meanwhile the reds insist on "justice" in the delusion they are the good guys and that "justice" means those who were acting within the law will be punished. The reds that have faced court have been hammered for their illegal acts, and the attitude of the courts is as unlikely to change as the laws that have been broken.

In another thread Korkaew said there's nothing Pheu Thai can do about the judicial branch. "I don't think we can tell them what to do.."

Thaksin is smart enough to realise this true; that the red leaders are likely to get savage penalties when they face a court; and that he may share their fate if he can't organise an amnesty.

Meanwhile the reds insist on "justice" in the delusion they are the good guys and that "justice" means those who were acting within the law will be punished. The reds that have faced court have been hammered for their illegal acts, and the attitude of the courts is as unlikely to change as the laws that have been broken.

...and there's a chance that faced with long stretches in jail the red shirt leaders will crack under pressure; releasing details of funding, orders given to them, black shirts, etc etc during the 'shindig' of 2010. All or nothing for T.

I am sure some of the usual sospects will have a totally different interpertation of what Big T said. From day one this has been about the man, not Thailand, not red shirts, but about Big T and what he wants. The red shirts think what they did was ok as they had the Big mans support and encouragement.

Are they finally beginning to realize Thaksin is a megalomaniac and thus it is all about him, not the Thai people. Yes the Thai people have been used. Now can Thailand bring this guy to justice to face his mounting charges?

• Like 1

"Let me back to run the show and you will have political stability through my dictatorship. Refuse and I will carry on dividing the country through 'direct action' only more so, until you are on your collective knees begging for mercy."

Question is, does he still need the reds to accomplish his goal or have they served their purpose?

The veiled threat about the arms merchants should be highlighted to every living soul in this country. When I first read it I thought he was intimating civil war.

Every now and then his patience runs thin and he unwittingly declares his true intentions. Scary.

Maybe He was just having a bad day.

Reconcile or fight.

Thaksin start to show his real colour.bah.gif

If you don´t help me home I will give my money to merchant. sad.pngsick.gif

Sondhi Limthongkul ? Still not in jail for defrauding investors and tax authorities? How come that a man with his background can be quoted. He is the first that will feel the torn of the reds and any other who see that the Thai courts are corrupted to the bone.

Reconcile or fight.

NO

Every now and then his patience runs thin and he unwittingly declares his true intentions. Scary.

Maybe He was just having a bad day.

If that is the case I hope he has many many more.

Reconcile or fight.

It makes you a bad speller - its rogue

This is absolutely disgusting, but coming from Thaksin it's not surprising.

He has made similar threats before, for example: Thailand's ex-PM Thaksin predicts guerrilla war

Here's a quote:

Speaking from an undisclosed location, Thaksin said the crackdown on "red shirt" protesters, which killed six people and wounded 58, could degenerate into widespread violence.

The warfare actually did happen afterward, with many more deaths.

Sondhi Limthongkul ? Still not in jail for defrauding investors and tax authorities? How come that a man with his background can be quoted. He is the first that will feel the torn of the reds and any other who see that the Thai courts are corrupted to the bone.

The positive side of k. Thaksin having jumped bail and 'voluntarily' decided on a self-exile in luxury (aka criminal on the run) is that it makes attempts to be compared with pro-democracy figures like Aung San Suu Kyi and Nelson Mandela more ludicrous with a touch of "delusions of grandeur' wink.png

" the torn of the reds" ???

Thai courts recently sentenced red shirt k. Bandit to 38 years for multiple offences including firing an RPG ar a revered temple. Are you saying this is not justified by the related Thai laws?

Arisman is likely to be found guilty of incitement/conspiracy to commit arson which saw 30 buildings destroyed. He is likely to receive a similar sentence IMHO. Do you think this would not be justified under Thai law?

To save time, could you indicate why you consider the courts corrupt?

With his reference to arms merchants - and the thought of them rivalling him for dubious wealth - Thaksin seems to be suggesting a full scale civil war. After all, the Thai army obtains its weapons from such as the US - or second-hand from Germany - and the redshirts have, in the past, seemingly obtained theirs from raiding the army's weapons stores.

I suppose, then, that that would depend on the final outcome of the redshirt leaders' demand for justice . . . and on their realisation that uncovering the real, and ugly, truth about their blood spilled - as opposed to their preferred version of it - will very likely see it turn and bite them in their collective <deleted>.

Reconcile or fight.

It makes you a bad speller - its rogue

More likely roué, so close enough.

I have looked at numerous variants of wrath . . . but I can't, for the life of me, work out what you meant by torn!

I have looked at numerous variants of wrath . . . but I can't, for the life of me, work out what you meant by torn!

Perhaps he meant scorn?

• Like 1

btw you think mr T is having a fun time in Dubai - have you ever lived there? I have

What do you think he can do as a square face - holed up in his penthouse sending out lackies for takeaway khao pats.

Its a very closed society for hiso of the levantine persuasion. Even his mega bucks wouldnt open many doors

Kind of luxury open prison for him