What Is The Pattaya "Dark Side"

mozzieslapper

It's a place with no gogo bars within reach, so boring like hell but you save money.

Rent is also less than half so again you save yourself money

Edited by poanoi

It's a place with no gogo bars within reach, so boring like hell but you save money.

GoGo bars are interesting & fun???

• Like 1

It is a place where (farang) life itself is gradually having the life sqeezed out of it. Did a tour of the bar/restaurant life around the lake the other day,dead,dead dead,nothing,no customers whatever. Beautiful houses,top end ones up for rent as no possibility of selling (house of the year 2005 up for urgent sale,no chance) along with virtually every house your gaze settles on. Shame really,pre 2007 it was a spin off from the Pattaya building boom,cheaper place to own your dream in the sun. Can think of another place too that will go the same way,BS for sure

Shhh, don't let the secret out.

It's a mean, nasty place with lions and tigers and bears. They eat farang for brekkie and pick their teeth with your bones. thumbsup.gif

don't forget the crocodiles... word has it they are rampant during heavy rains tongue.png

ok for the tourist i guess, but when you get through the boring pole dancing robot stuff always the Dark side soi's

It is a place where (farang) life itself is gradually having the life sqeezed out of it. Did a tour of the bar/restaurant life around the lake the other day,dead,dead dead,nothing,no customers whatever. Beautiful houses,top end ones up for rent as no possibility of selling (house of the year 2005 up for urgent sale,no chance) along with virtually every house your gaze settles on. Shame really,pre 2007 it was a spin off from the Pattaya building boom,cheaper place to own your dream in the sun. Can think of another place too that will go the same way,BS for sure

Those houses out there were always for suckers...I've driven around the area for years and never understood all the McMansions being build around the Maprachan mud-hole. Nobody with any smarts about Pattaya would ever have built/bought that far out.

It's the main reason people go to Pattaya.

You are sooo right, I live in Soi Siam 5 klms from Suk. We travel around the darkside for our bars rather than go into sin city proper. The last 6 months has seen an incrediable drop in numbers in the bars. Almost every bar we visit is deserted & the ladies are so bored they have trouble getting up from the sofa they are on to get you are drink.

You feel like you are imposing on their valuable time, perhaps there lies the problem for all you bar owners.

Most bars very rarely have the owner there but there are exceptions like Kik Bar. The owner is generally there & it is probably the best around the area now. The Pussy Cat Club is picking up again after the old owners lost the necessary drive to continue, it will take a while but they are really trying to improve the bar.

It is a sad situation for us locals.

C'mon bar owners, pick up your game & we will come back as patrons to your bars.

Good and very true post above,i used to really enjoy going to Noi's when Lee(god bless you mate) was there and he was always up for a laugh and kept the staff at it,the area needs more bars of a similar ilk for it to get the punters going again.

Or maybe there are a few now,i am not sure?? this thread could be used by the folks in the know as to what is happening around there nowadays!

Is the Black Pearl still open?

Those houses out there were always for suckers...I've driven around the area for years and never understood all the McMansions being build around the Maprachan mud-hole. Nobody with any smarts about Pattaya would ever have built/bought that far out.

So you have driven round the area for years and never understood why anyone would want to live there? Maybe to get away from people like you who are rude(calling people you've never met suckers), pretty dumb (you can't understand etc.) and very opinionated. I think ypu and downtown Pattaya deserve each other

• Like 1

that's pretty rich coming from someone who rents on Num Plab Wan..........

So you have driven round the area for years and never understood why anyone would want to live there? Maybe to get away from people like you who are rude(calling people you've never met suckers), pretty dumb (you can't understand etc.) and very opinionated. I think ypu and downtown Pattaya deserve each other

Sorry Prefab and your prefabricated opinions, as anyone who has seen many of my thousands of posts over the years will know, I live on the Farside [just not as far out as the mudhole] and like to promote it as an alternative to the Brightside for those looking for a more 'normal" way of life.

As for those commenting on the dying bars, I'm all for it! The fewer girlie bars in the area the better as far as I'm concerned,

There have always been many nice bars/restos tucked away here and there on the Farside for those needing a little libation and company and they are fine. The crop of "in you face" places I hope all fail! For those wanting more action so to speak, there is the entire Brightside for you to explore.

And yes, I rent on NPW and love it...no McMansion to sell at a 50% loss for me...and flying back to SFO next week for a holiday/visa-run business class...so your point is?

Edited by Rimmer
Possible defamation
  • Like 1

Not really. The main attraction to living there is that it's not so noisy or filled with tourists. I prefer to live around normal Thai people.

• Like 1

I've never actually been in a bar on the dark side, although I've lived here for a few years. If I want that sort of thing, I'll drag myself to Beach Road/Walking Street for people watching, my favorite past time when sitting in a bar. Restaurants are another matter, we do frequent Vientiane and I'd be happy to see more restaurants like that. Don't think it'll happen though, even Vientiane is almost empty when we go there on weekends.

For me Darkside has been home for 10 yrs. It has changed immensely since then but I still enjoy what it has to offer. Frankly, I have no interest in the hole in the wall bars and all the useless banter that comes with it. However, I do enjoy the more natural surroundings of the area ( not busy soi nerm plub waan/kao noi or kao thalo), bike rides, cross country running, motorcross, fast access to motorway, lakes, golf courses, more and more varied restaurants, wider plots of land, lack of 2 week idiots who feel they know all and are rude. If you live here, you have access to everything Pattaya has to offer, when and if you want it, without having to face the ugliness of it 24 hrs a day. Sadly, as it happens everywhere, this will change with time....then it will be time to move somewhere else!

He's not wrong...I pressed like.thumbsup.gif

The darkside is the place where happy and content people live....... you don't see us on ThaiVisa complaining about the Traffic, Russians, Dodgy Condo developments, Bar closures, Traffic lights, ++ Pricing, etc, etc, etc,.......smile.png

Nuff said!