My Galaxy Note Got Ics Today.

Good question, as I have yet to see a specific feature set for ICS. And that brings up a point: The user manual .pdf I have for my Galaxy Note has "Gingerbread" as part of it's title. This implies there should be an updated manual explaining the additional features and capabilities of ICS. Does anybody know of the actual existence of a new user manual for the Galaxy Note running Android 4.0 (ICS)?

Someone posted this presentation in another thread: http://www.sammobile...de-Ver-6.0.pptx

which seems to highlight a lot of the differences.

Thank you Sam for that detailed report. I read in a previous post that the B version also can receive the 5ghz band on wifi.

I mentioned the possible N7000B - 5 GHz "connection" but it looks like both the N7000 and the N7000B support 802.11 a/b/g/n so this is a non-issue.

My best guess now is that the N7000B is some sort of "Telstra" variant, similiar to the I9100T, utilized by other 850 Mhz providers like DTAC, True and others in South Africa, Israel and maybe a few other countries?

there is a lot of bullshit from thai networks regarding samsung phones and their frequencies

true likes to tell people their phone can not use ais 3G and vice versa but it can

there are no hardware limiltations in the samsung galaxy s2 i9100 and i9100T that prevent one from using

a sim with 3g and h+ from the opposite team

I dont know why these rumours exist ,in europe phones are simlocked to one providor or another but in thailand

it seems like a simlock is not used but rumours of incompatibility are used instead

Yes, all Samsung Quadband 3G products: Tab 10.1/GT-P7500, SGS2 (I9100/I9100T), Note (N7000/N7000B) work on 850, 900, 1900 and 2100 MHz 3G networks. Service providers here are selling more and more hardware, and in some cases the local Samsung subsidiary creates custom packaging for the service providers and some of their channels. This packaging sometimes only refers to the bands supported by the provider, so an AIS box might just say "3G: 900/1900/2100". And is some cases employees may remain blissfully unaware of the capabilities of the models they sell.

In other cases, it appears as though Samsung has created custom versions, perhaps at the behest of Telstra, which may have hardware and/or baseband modifications meant to enhance 3G 850 Mhz performance. I assume Samsung Thailand made DTAC and True aware of the availability of this version, I9100T, N7000B, and perhaps offered it to them. Or maybe they requested it? Of course these models support 900 Mhz 3G.

I wouldn't label this as malicious obfuscation as it is readily apparent, to anyone who looks at it closely, that the products are quad-band. The service providers and their channels are merely look for ways to differentiate the product, admittedly where there may be little to differentiate it, in order to garner sales. It could be a lot worse of course, but no need to go there. ;)

Edited by lomatopo

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couldn't wait any longer and updated my unrooted Note manually today with the ics update for UK/Ireland using odin3.I bought my phone in MBK,and it is an Hungarian version for which the ICS update isn't available yet.

Everything went smooth,took less than 5 minutes all together.

I was primary interested in the new handwriting futures,and at first glance the recognising has improved a lot,I should say almost to the perfection.

Wrote an email and I didn't have to correct one word,and that means something if you see my handwriting.

there is a lot of bullshit from thai networks regarding samsung phones and their frequencies

true likes to tell people their phone can not use ais 3G and vice versa but it can

there are no hardware limiltations in the samsung galaxy s2 i9100 and i9100T that prevent one from using

a sim with 3g and h+ from the opposite team

I dont know why these rumours exist ,in europe phones are simlocked to one providor or another but in thailand

it seems like a simlock is not used but rumours of incompatibility are used instead

I can concur with this. I just bought the sg2. I wanted a white one, and the shop only had one left. As we were opening the box and putting my SIM in the phone at the dealer counter, the sales guy saw my True SIM and told me emphatically "Mai Dai". Told me that I needed 9100T to use with True SIM, and they only had that one in black.

This caught me at a bit of a surprise, because all of the research / reading I had done online before deciding to buy it indicated that sg2 was capable of both 850 and 900. I never realized that there were two models available for Thailand.

Since the seal was already broken and the box was open, we convinced him to proceed and try my SIM in the phone. As I expected, we got a nice big H+ signal from my True SIM in a phone that was marked as supposedly for AIS only. The sales guy was astounded.

As a further surprise, I was expecting Gingerbread on the phone and was fine with that- prepared to wait for the upgrade. When I looked in the settings, ICS 4.0.3 was already installed.

I'm using a "B" model as well and eagerly awaiting+anticipating ICS 4.0.3 update as well!

By any chance will SamSung Thailand announce the update on their official website?

Looks like it popped recently, file is dated 6/1/12.

Product Code: GT-N7000LKATHL

Latest firmware: N7000BDCLP6/N7000BTHLLP4/N7000BDCLP2/N7000BDCLP6

Modified: 6/1/2012 11:15:17 AM

Filename: GT-N7000B_THL_1_20120601111454_qgtlzg1lby.zip.enc2

http://www.sammobile...age=8&view=4939

post-9615-0-23094600-1340020166_thumb.jp

Well, I tried the "Software Update" function under "Settings>About Phone", but that isn't showing any updates.

Next, I tried Kies. It does show the update, but it crashes during the upgrade each time I try. I think it is something about Kies; most times when I plug my phone into Kies, it does not recognize it. So when it does finally recognize the phone and offer to upgrade the software, during the process Kies loses the connection with the phone, then can't re-establish it. I can do anything else I need to do via USB with this phone, but Kies has a real problem recognizing it, and most times won't.

Kies starts out with a dumb name, and goes downhill from there.

I have the correct update file downloaded now, but I've never done the Odin thing . . .

I think I'll just visit the Samsung Service Center tomorrow morning.

Next, I tried Kies. It does show the update

I don't understand this, can you explain where in Kies you can see that it shows an update is available please? Do you mean after you downloaded it from another source such as through Fus downloader?

I have just downloaded the firmware update from the SamMobile link above, extracted it to a temporary folder on my PC, now what? Do I need a rooted Note to be able to do this? If I do then I'll just wait the 'month'

I don't understand this, can you explain where in Kies you can see that it shows an update is available please? Do you mean after you downloaded it from another source such as through Fus downloader?

When you plug your phone into the USB cable (after starting up Kies), once Kies recognizes the phone, it does a check and mentions if you are on the current firmware. If not current, it gives you the option to upgrade.

I explained the problems I was having with Kies in my past message. If you do have success upgrading with Kies, it will take a while. The download file is 621 Mb. It took about 30 minutes last night to download the file.

Lack of clear instructions for installing the upgrade myself (presumably using "Odin" software) is why I'm going down to Samsung now. I don't want to risk problems or losing use of the phone for a period.

For some reason, the upgrade is still not available using the "Software Update" function under "Settings>About Phone (is this a.k.a. FOTA?)

When you plug your phone into the USB cable (after starting up Kies), once Kies recognizes the phone, it does a check and mentions if you are on the current firmware. If not current, it gives you the option to upgrade.

I explained the problems I was having with Kies in my past message. If you do have success upgrading with Kies, it will take a while. The download file is 621 Mb. It took about 30 minutes last night to download the file.

Lack of clear instructions for installing the upgrade myself (presumably using "Odin" software) is why I'm going down to Samsung now. I don't want to risk problems or losing use of the phone for a period.

For some reason, the upgrade is still not available using the "Software Update" function under "Settings>About Phone (is this a.k.a. FOTA?)

I connect my phone using Kies over my WiFi connection but it'll be pretty much the same process, however, I don't see any visible check of current firmware, that doesn't mean it's not happening though, in fact, I just connected my phone to my computer by USB - just to check it was the same - and I'm still being asked if I want to connect with Kies using either WiFi or a Portable WiFi hotspot, I suppose this is simply because there is a WiFi network available, anyhow, it does'nt get us any closer to having ICS does it :)

I downloaded the update from the link above, so all I need to do is work out Odin? I might give it a try considering I only just got my (replacement) Note yesterday and it's still pretty close to factory settings...

-A word of warning-

I went down to the Samsung Support Center this afternoon, and got the upgrade to version 4.0.3 (ICS) on my GT-N7000B. And last night, I had run some backups . . . I have a nice program called SMS Backup & Restore that I ran; I also use Sugarsync, that automatically backs up photos, documents, etc. And of course, I have my google account, that stores phone contacts.

I went into Samsung Service this afternoon, and of course they asked me "Did you back up your data?" to which I said "Yes." I realize you can possibly lose some data during an upgrade like this.

After reading this thread and others however, I did not expect the phone to be Factory Formatted (Reset) and handed back to me with data in a new-out-of-box condition! I was watching, and the guy did the upgrade, then reformatted my phone memory.

When he handed it back to me and I looked it over, I showed my displeasure at having the memory blown away. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it was really necessary to do a Factory Reset. And I don't think that would have happened if Kies had worked right, or the Software Update function had offered the update. He said did the format to "Activate" the software, but also acknowleged it would not have formatted if the Software Update (FOTA?) had performed the update. blink.png

Now I'm putting the pieces back together. It appears the SMS backup was storing in the phone memory area, and I lost messages going back to late February; not critical, but annoying as sometimes I refer back to some old messages. It also looks like I lost the S memos, some waypoints I had saved in a GPS app, and WiFi passwords. The rest of the data I have, I just need to round it up and get it back onto the Note. And reinstall the apps (one at a time) from Android Playpen.

So I need to think about a comprehensive backup too. Titanium Backup looks good, but it requires rooting, and I really don't want to do that now. I also noted that ICS itself has a new backup function under Settings>Personal>Back up and reset. It is a little short on details however. All it says is "Back up app data, WiFi passwords, and other settings to Google Servers."

Anyway, learn from my mistakes and get everything covered under backup, hopefully to the cloud where it can be recovered quickly and easily when something unexpected happens.

I downloaded the update from the link above, so all I need to do is work out Odin? I might give it a try considering I only just got my (replacement) Note yesterday and it's still pretty close to factory settings currently.

Presumably you read my ordeal above! I do have a working phone, it'll just take time to get it back to the way I had it! At least for you, you have little to lose if it is near factory settings.

Pipo is right, and to elaborate further, Kies Air can not do a firmware upgrade to the phone. To do that with Kies, it must be by USB connection.

Edited by Sam Drucker

Kies Air doesn't have the same functions as Kies.To connect to Kies via usb you must have wifi disabled.

Just downloaded Kies and plugged my phone in, it showed me what firmware I was using but didn't show any sign of checking for updated firmware, am I missing something?

My Service Center is on Klang Muang Road near Wat Nang Wang in Khon Kaen. But I doubt you're in Khon Kaen, right?

It does kind of bring up a valid point however . . . Samsung really needs to understand that there are a huge number of people in Thailand that are their customers, but they are not Thai and don't read Thai. They need to offer English support on their website, so foreign customers can function with things like "Where is the nearest Service Center?" and many other issues. While everybody has their own language, most foreigners in Thailand can at least function if they have an English-language option on their website. As it stands now, I can't even get a name or address or other way to send a comment to this effect, because I can't get there on the Thai language-only Samsung website.

Samsung is willing to sell their products to tens of thousands of foreigners in Thailand. It's time they support them too, just like they do in Hong Kong.

• Like 1

My Service Center is on Klang Muang Road near Wat Nang Wang in Khon Kaen. But I doubt you're in Khon Kaen, right?

It does kind of bring up a valid point however . . . Samsung really needs to understand that there are a huge number of people in Thailand that are their customers, but they are not Thai and don't read Thai. They need to offer English support on their website, so foreign customers can function with things like "Where is the nearest Service Center?" and many other issues. While everybody has their own language, most foreigners in Thailand can at least function if they have an English-language option on their website. As it stands now, I can't even get a name or address or other way to send a comment to this effect, because I can't get there on the Thai language-only Samsung website.

Samsung is willing to sell their products to tens of thousands of foreigners in Thailand. It's time they support them too, just like they do in Hong Kong.

Yes its disappointing that a huge company like Samsung don't give you the option to switch to English but then again the Koreans are not known for their good English skills either.

Don't you have a Thai that can help you, GF, wife or friend?

I have DTAC "B" model. Today, I connected the phone to to Kies with USB, upgraded Kie (when prompted for upgrade), backed up the phone and then did a firmware upgrade through Kies. Pretty easy and smooth ... it looks like all apps and data are still on the phone. Only thing that are gone are my app shortcuts I creatted on the screen.

We'll see how good and stable this is ... I continue to have a bunch issue with my ASUS Transformer (TF101) tablet after I upgraded that to ICS.

The whole N7000 & N7000B story is just, like it was with the SGS2, provider driven BS. On Both phones In cross-installed the different versions (N7000B Firmware on a N7000 unit and vv.). Both providers AIS and TRUE worked on 3G. It depends on the firmware if a wipe (factory reset) will occur or not, And it depends on the firmware, which is installed before the update. But this is a story, which is too big to explain here. I used ODIN for doing the installs, which is not intended for end-users. When playing around with Custom ROMs you should also keep in mind that Samsung has a serious bug in their ICS software, which would render the phone dead (hard-bricked) when doing a factory reset.

My best guess is that Samsung tries to frighten people to do updates on their own without using KIES (which is a pest anyway). Google is your friend, every bigger city in TH has a Samsung Service Center. And always Backup anything:

- Your addresses and apps are in your Google account. The apps will be restored only if that option was tickmarked in the System Settings before.

- SMS+ Backup will save your SMS and (optional) call- Log to your Google Account

- Your Pictures, Music and Videos are all in the phones user-space. This is what you see after connecting the phone to your PC. Simply copy everything. Later copy your files back and keep the backup in case you need more. I personally restore all files. to make sure to get back the settings for some (not all but most) apps.

- Don't fiddle with Titanium backup (or the like) if you don't know exactly what you are doing. Grab the opportunity to re-install all apps, which you really need and invest a little time to set them up again. This is finally, what will give you the biggest speed boost.

If you are happy with your Gingerbread firmware and don't use the extras from Samsung Premium Pack and you have not installed hundreds of apps, which slow down your phone, then go for this: "Never change a winning Team".

This is my personal experience as a developer, who is installing a different firmwares on different phones almost every day. When reading the posts above I see, that of you just want to use the phone and not bother about technology. ICS is just quicker for some people because they erase all apps when doing the update. You can have almost the same effect by erasing unused apps on your Gingerbread phone. And once on ICS you can certainly mess it up again by installing (and leaving) every app on the planet.

I just connected my Note via Kies and was prompted to upgrade, no mention of ICS but let's see what happens...the update has failed several times since it started so it looks like I'm being farted around with, just like the rest of you :(