Hang Dong Expats Meet Up?

davehowden

count me in too, bigC(previous carefour) is great to start and meet, easy to find...after that, sure go somewhere else....However in that area not much nice bars with pool....

Edited by hansbak

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha not exactly what I meant, but never mind. I'll be sure to dress respectably anyway. So Friday 7pm at Big C?

It's probably worth stressing to all at this time that we're talking about the ex-Carrefour Big C that is half way to Doi Inthanon.

Ok, slight exaggeration, but it's past Hang Dong village.

I am out in that area, I know most mornings a few get together at California wraps for breakfast 9 or 9:30 ish

It is next to Rimpings other side from Rosewood. usually a half dozen there but again usually not me. food is good and reasonable for what you get. If I am not working I usually like to ride and not sit and chat

Hi all,

Yes, to confirm I was talking about the ex Carrefour Big C, about 2 K South of Hang Dong and not the Big C/ Homepro site at the end of the runway. I know it's not the greatest place for an evening but it's a start and most folks can find it easy. It has a beer bar out front (more expensive) if we want a little more color (mostly ladyboys I think).

Sorry I cannot make Friday as suggested as i am doing a visa run that day but Saturday would be good unless others thing another day would be better?

Hope to see a few of us on Saturday at 19:00.

Dave

Posted from my Dick Tracy 20 baht wrist transceiver

Today seems to be my day for suggesting places for us South of Chiang Mai dwellers... coffee1.gif

A friend has opened a bar inside the Moobaan behind Kad Farang, in what I believe is called the Tarndong Clubhouse. It's a kind of weird location, well of the beaten path, but if he gets some support from people going "stir crazy" out on the south side of town it could make a great meeting place... There is basically nothing else of that type between Hangdong and town.

He sells beer cheap, has got a brand new slate bed pool table, big screen TV with full HD satellite sport, etc. and is also a nice guy... It is a hell of a lot nicer than drinking in Big C (although those Chang girls are not hard on the eyes!). I believe he is open all day.

To get there: Heading south from town take the first entrance into Kad Farang (next to Rosewood Restaurant) and then simply follow straight on out of the back of the Kad Farang shopping area for about 1km until you come to a roundabout. the clubhouse is now on your left, go past it and then turn in on the left to park.

Or, Google Map: link here It's the large building complex in the centre with the swimming pool, and next to the roundabout that you can just about make out!

I live near Hang Dong Market ... Count me in ......... I dont get on here much so if you will pm me time and location I ll be sure to get it .......

Saturday, 7pm, here: http://g.co/maps/jknga

When looking at the building from the position of the picture above, all the way on the right hand side on the ground floor is a food center. Towards the far end to the right is where most the beer stands are. (If still the same as before, I haven't been there for a year or so.)

Indoor parking is under/behind the building, so when entering from the indoor parking lot, it would be to your left.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Great map, thanks.

Are we meeting at Tarndong Clubhouse or Big C, the former looks better to me, sorry but I get easily confused, I will bring my nurse with me. sad.png

Edited by davehowden

Today seems to be my day for suggesting places for us South of Chiang Mai dwellers... coffee1.gif

A friend has opened a bar inside the Moobaan behind Kad Farang, in what I believe is called the Tarndong Clubhouse. It's a kind of weird location, well of the beaten path, but if he gets some support from people going "stir crazy" out on the south side of town it could make a great meeting place... There is basically nothing else of that type between Hangdong and town.

He sells beer cheap, has got a brand new slate bed pool table, big screen TV with full HD satellite sport, etc. and is also a nice guy... It is a hell of a lot nicer than drinking in Big C (although those Chang girls are not hard on the eyes!). I believe he is open all day.

To get there: Heading south from town take the first entrance into Kad Farang (next to Rosewood Restaurant) and then simply follow straight on out of the back of the Kad Farang shopping area for about 1km until you come to a roundabout. the clubhouse is now on your left, go past it and then turn in on the left to park.

Or, Google Map: link here It's the large building complex in the centre with the swimming pool, and next to the roundabout that you can just about make out!

yes, off the beaten track but I'm sure Steve would be delighted to see us all! with a great pool table

There's a also Yummy Pizza on the canal rd (forum sponsor and member)

and a nice little place almost next door called the welcome bar (has a nice roadside bamboo hut and all) (50 baht wine)

Also the restaurant at Ban Wang Tan is great and has wine at 59 baht

there, I've plugged all my friends' establishments in the area :)

David

I wouldn't want to get too close to town.. To me (could be a personal thing) the attraction is to be a good distance from town.. Yummie Pizza is around the corner from where I live, there's no adventure in that. (Yes, I know, as opposed to Big C, LOL)

Either way the Big C would just be because everyone can find it easily and it'll accommodate even a hundred people if need be. I would want to move on from there not too long after.

And it's easy to reach by Songtell:

post-64232-0-76686300-1337822354_thumb.p

That said, the Kad Farang - Farang, does sound interesting. Also sounds like BYOCC though. (Bring Yer Own Chang Chicks)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

BTW, assuming people will end up at a more Thai oriented place, some effort will need to be made to keep track of bins.

Thai people would rarely get individual tabs, at some point everyone chips in towards a communal tab. Farangs mostly don't work that way, especially when everyone drinks different things in different quantities. That's actually my theory of why the official Thaivisa pissups tend to be free, because the headache of keeping 83 tabs from 83 drunk Farangs apart is just not worth it. ;)

• Like 1

yes, off the beaten track but I'm sure Steve would be delighted to see us all! with a great pool table

There's a also Yummy Pizza on the canal rd (forum sponsor and member)

and a nice little place almost next door called the welcome bar (has a nice roadside bamboo hut and all) (50 baht wine)

Also the restaurant at Ban Wang Tan is great and has wine at 59 baht

there, I've plugged all my friends' establishments in the area smile.png

David

Nice plugging Dave, and some new ideas for me... If you can't plug your friend's places (if they are good and worth supporting) what can you do!

Anyway, is this meet on? I don't really much like meeting in supermarkets, but it wouldn't be the first time... so long as we go on to somewhere else (Steve's place, or wherever is good!).

Cheers burp.gif

I think it's a very good idea to have a get together. I have made some long lasting friends through Thai Visa get-togethers.

I would have joined you guys (wherever you end up) but am currently in Bangkok and won't be returning till the middle of next week.

Maybe next time , I'm sure it will be a success.

Have fun

• Like 1

If its still tonight, I can't make it. Found out a coworker is leaving, doing the going away party thing.

Pretty sure it's tomorrow night mate. Sounds like there are a fair few going now. What's the plan with the balls, to shine or not to shine?

Edited by GUANO

i think all are welcome, 7pm, today Big C on the Hang Dong to Hod road, don't be late and miss all the "fun".

BTW, I checked out the place in the back of Kad Farang, lovely pool table, TV etc. but we would have to give advance notice, as no cookie or eats available, we had the place to ourselves at 19:30 through 21:00. easy parking, outside/ inside tables, a place begging to be used.

Dave

So... Hello?

Ok I'm just a little late, but I'm looking at a billion Thai people and no Farlongs. I like this Big C by the way, remarkably smiley staff, and they have a dedicated Cowboy shop.

Anyway, I'm waiting for the next Songtell and if that doesn't deliver a crowd then I'm off to drive the 100 miles to Loi Kroh.

So... Hello?

Ok I'm just a little late, but I'm looking at a billion Thai people and no Farlongs. I like this Big C by the way, remarkably smiley staff, and they have a dedicated Cowboy shop.

Anyway, I'm waiting for the next Songtell and if that doesn't deliver a crowd then I'm off to drive the 100 miles to Loi Kroh.

Will be at the Kad farang place after the grand prix qualifiers :)

D

So... Hello?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=G6NNGVHrqho

Was there at 7:20-8 checking out both inside Big C and outside at the one bar area. I saw one other Farang right when I got there. THought he might be waiting on a wife, so I had to buy something, hit the bathroom, and then when I went past the downstairs he was gone. I wonder if that was you Winnie, he was playing with his cellphone...

I checked out Kad Farang on the way back and saw nothing as described, but I probably just failed to find it. However, I recieved a text at that time from some female co-workers, so I am going with that plan instead ;)

Good luck, have fun and don't worry, you'll get over not seeing my smiling mug.

I have seen these sort of threads before and have surely been tempted to participate and meet up.

But I think most of these are a load of hot air and rarely does anyone turn up anyway, so I don`t bother.

If this was the real deal and some did turn up, I would be interested to hear what transpired?

See above; I'm in favor of sticking to town for meet ups & piss ups. There aren't even that many small local bars along that stretch of the CM-Hot road. Saw one called Bingo Bar but that was already very near Kad Farang.

I have to also admit that it's quite the drive.. I never thought of it as particularly far from town, but late at night I wouldn't want to trek all the way back there.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai