Fake Malaria Drugs

cloudhopper

IMO much bigger problems in neighboring countries, and NGO/government funded programs liable to large-scale corruption, not so much normal pharmacies here in Thailand specifically.

If you're worried, IMO you're safe buying from Boots or Watsons, not much that more expensive either.

And keep in mind where this is coming from, the definition of "fake" may include in the intellectual property sense, which doesn't necessarily mean reduced effectiveness.

And keep in mind where this is coming from, the definition of "fake" may include in the intellectual property sense, which doesn't necessarily mean reduced effectiveness.

An excellent point....thumbsup.gif

From my understanding though, the effectiveness of all antimalarials is questionable.

From my understanding though, the effectiveness of all antimalarials is questionable.

as are the benefits

Moved to the health forum.

there is a huge problem with counterfeit anti-malarial drugs in Cambodia, Viet Nam and I would assume Laos and Myanmar. In Thailand this is not much of an issue. For one thing, there is very little malaria here, only in limited heavily forested areas along the various borders. For another,l ant-malarials are not sold over the counter in Thailand (at least not legally, and I would question the quality of any preparation found on sale in a pharmacy or market).

The Cambodian government has launched a crackdown on counterfeit malarials (after a large number of highly publicized deaths) with some success.

There is no question of the effectiveness or benefit of anti-malarial drugs in treating malaria. Specific drugs have known efficacy against specific strains of malaria in specific parts of the world. I assume the last 2 posters were actually meaning malaria prophylaxis which is a different matter altogether. Different drugs, different purpose. The need and benefit of malaria prophylaxis (as well as its effectiveness) varies according to individual circumstances -- who is going to where and when. Almost never indicated in Thailand. Also true that the preventive meds have limited effectiveness in this part of the world. Fortunately in this part of the world, malaria is contained to specific areas, usually ones quite far from human habitation. Should you actually contact malaria, there is no question about the need for medication then.

Africa is a whole other story.

Just drink plenty of gin and tonicsbiggrin.png

• Like 1

Just drink plenty of gin and tonicsbiggrin.png

tried to stock up on tonic since the flood? NO SO EASY