Concept 2 Rower Model D (Exercise For Fat Loss)

robblok

Just finished first 100,000 metre row, found that row on model B got slower pace than model D at gym . My average pace of 5,000 meter row is about 20.20 minutes but on my model b at home is about 22 minutes. Although I check both machine use the same drag factor.

Just finished first 100,000 metre row, found that row on model B got slower pace than model D at gym . My average pace of 5,000 meter row is about 20.20 minutes but on my model b at home is about 22 minutes. Although I check both machine use the same drag factor.

• 1 year later...

I got back into rowing again after remodeling my gym and putting a laptop there hooked up to a big (might get an even bigger) 32 inch screen. The row pro program is great it does help a lot against boredom because you can race yourself and others. This is for me a good motivation plus all the information on the screen and the nice animation keeps it all fun.

Anyone who has a concept model D i really advise to get the row pro computer program and a nice big screen. I find the rows fun now, of course if I do it too much i probably get bored so not going to overdo it and just as an addition to the strength training. For me the rowing with the row pro is the least boring cardio I can do indoors.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On ‎27‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 1:31 PM, robblok said:

I got back into rowing again after remodeling my gym and putting a laptop there hooked up to a big (might get an even bigger) 32 inch screen. The row pro program is great it does help a lot against boredom because you can race yourself and others. This is for me a good motivation plus all the information on the screen and the nice animation keeps it all fun.

Anyone who has a concept model D i really advise to get the row pro computer program and a nice big screen. I find the rows fun now, of course if I do it too much i probably get bored so not going to overdo it and just as an addition to the strength training. For me the rowing with the row pro is the least boring cardio I can do indoors.

Do you use online rowing? I had to use row pro trial version but it very hard to find friends at time I row.

I use concept2 online log book and their challenge program for motivation.

Just completed 1,000,000 meters.

wp_ss_20161121_0001.png

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/27/2016 at 0:53 PM, TaveewatLim said:

Do you use online rowing? I had to use row pro trial version but it very hard to find friends at time I row.

I use concept2 online log book and their challenge program for motivation.

Just completed 1,000,000 meters.

wp_ss_20161121_0001.png

How long did it take you to complete 1 million meters? I managed 1.1 million from start of May (2016) until now on my new PM5 monitor. I have  3.5 million combined on both my PM4+5 monitors. I don't know how many millions meters I've rowed since I first started on the Concept 2 way back in the late 80's on a B model. I've never bothered to go online and register my rows. I don't need other people to motivate me and I find competing is counterproductive to healthy training because it will make me work too hard when I need to scale back and lead to overtraining as I'm always competing.

I actually had to stop trying to row harder as I was starting to experience overtraining injuries and getting burnt out just from continuously watching my numbers and trying to beat them. I came up with a novel way to do this. I use 20 second time intervals with "undefined rest period". You can row indefinitely like this without pace, watts, calories or stroke rate showing except during the 20 second interval periods after every 10 minute rest period. It still displays meters and time. You can just row how you feel and concentrate on good form.

Those numbers can be your own worst enemy if you're always watching them and trying to beat them.

That's negative in 2 ways:

1. If you cannot equal or beat your previous rows you may feel sad and/or demotivated. The rowing forums are full of injured rowers lamenting about how hard they used to row and sad they are only a shell of their former selves.

2. It could push you to row harder than you should and reduce your fitness due to overtraining and even cause serious injuries in the shoulders, back, and knees. You can't always row harder and harder every workout. You need to ease off regularly and allow time to recover. Hard rowing should be performed sparingly and intermittently. If you want to improve quickly, that's the fastest way.

I always monitor heart rate, which is all you really need as that gives you exact measurements about how hard you're working.

People always want to compete. Leave the ego behind and enjoy the benefits of one of the best exercise machines known to man.

Edited by tropo

10 minutes ago, up-country_sinclair said:

Does anyone know what the Concept 2 Model D is retailing for in Thailand these days?

I've seen it for over 100k. Just go online and buy it directly from Concept2 in the US. Mine was delivered in 4 days after payment to my door. All up with customs and FedEx it came to 56k baht in mid 2012.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, up-country_sinclair said:

^  Seems a reasonable price for home delivery.  Thanks very much!

It's the biggest bargain you'll find in the fitness industry. For that price you'll have a world-class fitness machine (they have world competitions on them - they're the best rowing machines available) that is virtually maintenance free for the rest of your life. Mine still looks brand new after 3.5 million meters rowed and all I do is lube the chain once every 3 months and clean the rail and rollers after every row. If you want to buy a high quality, gym quality treadmill, elliptical, arc trainer, exercycle etc, you'll be paying in excess of 300k and have a lot of maintenance to do.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, tropo said:

How long did it take you to complete 1 million meters? I managed 1.1 million from start of May (2016) until now on my new PM5 monitor. I have  3.5 million combined on both my PM4+5 monitors. I don't know how many millions meters I've rowed since I first started on the Concept 2 way back in the late 80's on a B model. I've never bothered to go online and register my rows. I don't need other people to motivate me and I find competing is counterproductive to healthy training because it will make me work too hard when I need to scale back and lead to overtraining as I'm always competing.

I actually had to stop trying to row harder as I was starting to experience overtraining injuries and getting burnt out just from continuously watching my numbers and trying to beat them. I came up with a novel way to do this. I use 20 second time intervals with "undefined rest period". You can row indefinitely like this without pace, watts, calories or stroke rate showing except during the 20 second interval periods after every 10 minute rest period. It still displays meters and time. You can just row how you feel and concentrate on good form.

Those numbers can be your own worst enemy if you're always watching them and trying to beat them.

That's negative in 2 ways:

1. If you cannot equal or beat your previous rows you may feel sad and/or demotivated. The rowing forums are full of injured rowers lamenting about how hard they used to row and sad they are only a shell of their former selves.

2. It could push you to row harder than you should and reduce your fitness due to overtraining and even cause serious injuries in the shoulders, back, and knees. You can't always row harder and harder every workout. You need to ease off regularly and allow time to recover. Hard rowing should be performed sparingly and intermittently. If you want to improve quickly, that's the fastest way.

I always monitor heart rate, which is all you really need as that gives you exact measurements about how hard you're working.

People always want to compete. Leave the ego behind and enjoy the benefits of one of the best exercise machines known to man.

I bought used Model B in 2014 and fixed it with retrofit parts but barely used it. I used to be a long distance runner but this year I was suffer from plantarfasiitis then I switch to rowing.

my first two year of rowing record is just around 200,000 meters because I still love running more than rowing.This season rowing record is almost reach million meters.

My daily workout is 30 minutes or 10,000 meters row. Now I'm not emphasis on beaten new PB. I row at 2:03 pace/500 meters 20spm.

wp_ss_20161225_0001.png

Edited by TaveewatLim

41 minutes ago, TaveewatLim said:

I bought used Model B in 2014 and fixed it with retrofit parts but barely used it. I used to be a long distance runner but this year I was suffer from plantarfasiitis then I switch to rowing.

my first two year of rowing record is just around 200,000 meters because I still love running more than rowing.This season rowing record is almost reach million meters.

My daily workout is 30 minutes or 10,000 meters row. Now I'm not emphasis on beaten new PB. I row at 2:03 pace/500 meters 20spm.

I know about plantar fasciitis. I've experienced that and it's no fun.

It has been a long time since I have used a Concept2 B-model. I've owned the C and D models. I don't know how your pace relates in intensity to my pace on the D model, but a 2:03 pace is very strong and especially at a stroke rate of 20. I don't row at such a low stroke rate. I usually stay between 25 - 30 spm. I did notice quite a difference (drop) in pace when I changed from the Model B to the Model C in the early 90s.

Do you row every day? You may want to think about taking rest days. You will get better/fitter if you do. More is less when it comes to intense exercise, and rowing at your pace IS intense. 

1 hour ago, tropo said:

I know about plantar fasciitis. I've experienced that and it's no fun.

It has been a long time since I have used a Concept2 B-model. I've owned the C and D models. I don't know how your pace relates in intensity to my pace on the D model, but a 2:03 pace is very strong and especially at a stroke rate of 20. I don't row at such a low stroke rate. I usually stay between 25 - 30 spm. I did notice quite a difference (drop) in pace when I changed from the Model B to the Model C in the early 90s.

Do you row every day? You may want to think about taking rest days. You will get better/fitter if you do. More is less when it comes to intense exercise, and rowing at your pace IS intense. 

I row 3 times a week rest on Saturday and Sunday for running.

My average HR when rowing is 153bpm is close to my HR on running 6K.

I feel recovery from rowing is faster than running, but now at age of 42 , I try to not overtraining?.

7 minutes ago, TaveewatLim said:

I row 3 times a week rest on Saturday and Sunday for running.

My average HR when rowing is 153bpm is close to my HR on running 6K.

I feel recovery from rowing is faster than running, but now at age of 42 , I try to not overtraining?.

That's good! It's a really good idea to alternate different exercises over the week. I had the impression from what you wrote that you row every day LOL. It's also good that you monitor your heart rate. I'm 57, so my recovery is even slower.:sad:

Rowing is a non-impact exercise, which would explain the faster recovery. A lot of the damage from running is the impact with the ground - that's a lot of stress on the knees, shins, feet, and hips. That impact stress is mainly on the joints, ligaments, and tendons. They can take a long time to recover if they are damaged.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, tropo said:

Some of you may get a kick out of seeing the first Concept2 model, Model-A which was in production from 1981 - 1986. They've come a long way.

concept2 model A.jpg

It's very rare and hard to find in Thailand?. Maybe my Model B is the only one "B" in Thailand too.

6tag-864069816-1351876733620404174_864069816.jpg

6tag-864069816-1369260471899465926_864069816.jpg

2 minutes ago, TaveewatLim said:

It's very rare and hard to find in Thailand?. Maybe my Model B is the only one "B" in Thailand too.

6tag-864069816-1351876733620404174_864069816.jpg

6tag-864069816-1369260471899465926_864069816.jpg

That was the very first model I used in my gym back in Australia in the late 80's. I see you've got the adjustable foot supports and the new angled handle which will make it feel very similar to the new model. The old Model-B had a short, straight wooden handle.

BTW, you're in fine shape. Do you use weights?

13 minutes ago, tropo said:

That was the very first model I used in my gym back in Australia in the late 80's. I see you've got the adjustable foot supports and the new angled handle which will make it feel very similar to the new model. The old Model-B had a short, straight wooden handle.

BTW, you're in fine shape. Do you use weights?

I replaced all the moving parts of the old rower, chain, seat rollers , and added PM3 monitor.

I lifting weights too?. Cardio by rowing at the morning and lifting weights at the evening.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, TaveewatLim said:

I replaced all the moving parts of the old rower, chain, seat rollers , and added PM3 monitor.

I lifting weights too?. Cardio by rowing at the morning and lifting weights at the evening.

Lifting is always easy for me.... the rowing that is an other thing. I do row.. but not as diligent as I should.  Nice to see your setup. also nice to see that you at least got a ventilator helping you. I got at least 2 or 3 and an aircon when I am rowing.

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Lifting is always easy for me.... the rowing that is an other thing. I do row.. but not as diligent as I should.  Nice to see your setup. also nice to see that you at least got a ventilator helping you. I got at least 2 or 3 and an aircon when I am rowing.

That ventilator called "C Breeze", It not help to cool me down but it help to reduce the drag factor of the rower down to compare to model D. It's also prevent my son to put his fingers in to the fan cage.

I still have to use fan and aircon to cool me down when I am rowing. I used to rowed without fan and aircon, sweat like crazy?.

1 hour ago, TaveewatLim said:

That ventilator called "C Breeze", It not help to cool me down but it help to reduce the drag factor of the rower down to compare to model D. It's also prevent my son to put his fingers in to the fan cage.

I still have to use fan and aircon to cool me down when I am rowing. I used to rowed without fan and aircon, sweat like crazy?.

Are you able to get a drag factor reading on that setup? How did you compare your drag factor with Model D?

24 minutes ago, TaveewatLim said:

Yes, PM3 monitor can display drag factor when I setup.

My drag factor on B is 135 same as DF when I rowed on model D at level 5 damper setting.

I remember well when I bought my Concept2 Model C back in 1993 after using the Model B at the gym for years. I really missed the Model B at that time.

What program are you using on your tablet which you have connected to your PM 3? Is it Row Pro? How do you monitor your heart rate?

Edited by tropo

1 minute ago, tropo said:

I remember well when I bought my Concept2 Model C back in 1993 after using the Model B at the gym for years. I really missed the Model B at that time.i

What program are you using on your tablet which you have connected to your PM 3? Is it Row Pro? How do you monitor your heart rate?

Ergdata , free app from Concept2.

It's for android and iPhone. PM5 user can use it in wireless mode, but PM3 or PM4 user have to use cord to connect it.

Ergdata is easier than log card when transferring data to onlin logbook.

I monitor HR by using polar heart rate receiver, bought from C2.

13 minutes ago, TaveewatLim said:

Ergdata , free app from Concept2.

It's for android and iPhone. PM5 user can use it in wireless mode, but PM3 or PM4 user have to use cord to connect it.

Ergdata is easier than log card when transferring data to onlin logbook.

I monitor HR by using polar heart rate receiver, bought from C2.

Thanks! I'll have to give that a try. I had a lot of problems with log cards on my PM4 and went through 3 of them. Later I had lots of trouble using USB flash drives on my PM5 and gave up using them because the monitor stores 1000 rows. It puts me off when I get to the rower, ready to row and have to deal with technical problems. 

To be honest, I don't find any benefit in reviewing old row data. Sometimes I look at it out of curiosity but other than it, it's of no use. I row according to how my body feels when I get on the rower. 

Edited by tropo

21 minutes ago, tropo said:

Thanks! I'll have to give that a try. I had a lot of problems with log cards on my PM4 and went through 3 of them. Later I had lots of trouble using USB flash drives on my PM5 and gave up using them because the monitor stores 1000 rows. It puts me off when I get to the rower, ready to row and have to deal with technical problems. 

To be honest, I don't find any benefit in reviewing old row data. Sometimes I look at it out of curiosity but other than it, it's of no use. I row according to how my body feels when I get on the rower. 

when using Ergdata you have to remove USB flash drives from PM5, It can't use at the same time.

I use row data for motivation, sometimes I can see my progress from past rowing log such as lower stroke rate. I found my stroke rate at firest time when I start rowing is 33 spm, now my stroke rate is 20spm?.

Loging data is fun when use in challenge events of Concept2.

I found that I row more when joined online Challenge.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TaveewatLim said:

when using Ergdata you have to remove USB flash drives from PM5, It can't use at the same time.

I use row data for motivation, sometimes I can see my progress from past rowing log such as lower stroke rate. I found my stroke rate at firest time when I start rowing is 33 spm, now my stroke rate is 20spm?.

Loging data is fun when use in challenge events of Concept2.

I found that I row more when joined online Challenge.

I understand that different people gain motivation by different methods. Just getting on the rowing machine is motivation enough for me.:smile: The rest comes naturally.

I just downloaded the app on my iPad and tried it out. I like it! I particularly like the stroke length feature and peak and average force. The stroke length will prevent me from stroking short. I was concerned that the bluetooth may be problematic, but it works well.

Regarding your spm. Why do you stroke so slowly? You'd be better off varying your stroke rate. 20 spm is very low and puts a lot of stress on your back. 25 - 30 is a better rate for rowing. I vary mine from 24 - 32, but would not stroke as low as 20 except on rare occasions. I would, for example, do a minute at 32, then a minute at 25. This also takes the boredom out of it. My average tends to be about 27 overall.

Edited by tropo

1 hour ago, tropo said:

I understand that different people gain motivation by different methods. Just getting on the rowing machine is motivation enough for me.:smile: The rest comes naturally.

I just downloaded the app on my iPad and tried it out. I like it! I particularly like the stroke length feature and peak and average force. The stroke length will prevent me from stroking short. I was concerned that the bluetooth may be problematic, but it works well.

Regarding your spm. Why do you stroke so slowly? You'd be better off varying your stroke rate. 20 spm is very low and puts a lot of stress on your back. 25 - 30 is a better rate for rowing. I vary mine from 24 - 32, but would not stroke as low as 20 except on rare occasions. I would, for example, do a minute at 32, then a minute at 25. This also takes the boredom out of it. My average tends to be about 27 overall.

My stroke rate is slow down automatically. At first time when I start rowing it's about 33spm and it stay at 26 spm for a while and now it's at 20 spm.

I have my best rowing record at 26spm pace is close at 2:00 (30mins 7500 meters)

I feel when I row at lower stroke rate I used more muscle especially my legs than rowing at higher stroke rate.

I like to row at lower stroke rate because it's breathing easier too?.