Concept 2 Rower Model D (Exercise For Fat Loss)

robblok

4 hours ago, TaveewatLim said:

My stroke rate is slow down automatically. At first time when I start rowing it's about 33spm and it stay at 26 spm for a while and now it's at 20 spm.

I have my best rowing record at 26spm pace is close at 2:00 (30mins 7500 meters)

I feel when I row at lower stroke rate I used more muscle especially my legs than rowing at higher stroke rate.

I like to row at lower stroke rate because it's breathing easier too?.

You will definitely use more muscle power at low stroke rates as you don't have the benefit of momentum and the flywheel is slowing down a lot more between strokes. You can get the same effect by increasing the drag factor if you want to use more muscle power because the flywheel slows down quickly between strokes. Although at any stroke rate I'm using muscles, I row primarily for cardio fitness and get my strength from weight training. If I wasn't doing weight training I'd adjust the drag factor more for variation, but I normally leave it at 5.

• Like 1

Anybody want to join my team?

Looking for member to join Virtual Team Challenge on 1st Jan.

My team have only 3 members and I row most of the meters of team?.

Goal is just got better than 260th from last Fall team challenge.

Participation is easy, just only join the team and join the challenge, whenever you row during the challenge period, your meters will added to team's meters automatically.

wp_ss_20161227_0002.png

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_virtual2501web.png

50 minutes ago, TaveewatLim said:

Anybody want to join my team?

Looking for member to join Virtual Team Challenge on 1st Jan.

My team have only 3 members and I row most of the meters of team?.

Goal is just got better than 260th from last Fall team challenge.

Participation is easy, just only join the team and join the challenge, whenever you row during the challenge period, your meters will added to team's meters automatically.

wp_ss_20161227_0002.png

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_virtual2501web.png

I average about 100,000 - 150,000 per month, so you're welcome to have them. I added myself to your team. If I use the ergdata app whenever I row does my rowing distance automatically add to your team total? What about rest meters? Do they count? I do a lot of meters in the rest mode on time intervals? They do add to my PM5 total, but perhaps they don't count for your team challenge.

16 minutes ago, tropo said:

I average about 100,000 - 150,000 per month, so you're welcome to have them. I added myself to your team. If I use the ergdata app whenever I row does my rowing distance automatically add to your team total? What about rest meters? Do they count? I do a lot of meters in the rest mode on time intervals? They do add to my PM5 total, but perhaps they don't count for your team challenge.

Welcome to Thailand Indoor rowing team?.

Yes , your distance will add to team total automatically. I'd never tried logging data in intervals but I thought it should count to team total.

You joined the team but you haven't signed up to the challenge yet.

wp_ss_20161227_0003.png

I don't know half of what you lot are talking about, but hopefully after I have finished renovations on my new house I will have some money left to buy a Concept2.  The best price I have been able to find locally is Baht 60,000 for Concept2 D.

15 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I don't know half of what you lot are talking about, but hopefully after I have finished renovations on my new house I will have some money left to buy a Concept2.  The best price I have been able to find locally is Baht 60,000 for Concept2 D.

Garry,

Given the higher dollar, this is not a bad price and I would go for it.. i paid 55.000 years ago and had to import it myself.. for the difference I would not do it. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, up-country_sinclair said:

I was recently quoted 62,000 for the D and 70,000 for the E.

Quoted in Thailand to buy here? If so, go for it.

My 56K from the US was 4 1/2 years ago and the baht was lower back then too - about 31.5.

The only real difference in the E model is the height of the rail. It's designed for people with disability - they don't have to crouch so low to get onto it.

5 hours ago, GarryP said:

Where did you find that price? Was it new? That's below what it would cost to import yourself.

45 minutes ago, TaveewatLim said:

East west fitness sold black model D at 59,000.

wp_ss_20161230_0001.png

That's a bargain! If anyone wants a machine I would suggest they jump at this opportunity now. 

(Thanks for the site - they have some good stuff on sale)

Edited by tropo

9 minutes ago, tropo said:

Where did you find that price? Was it new? That's below what it would cost to import yourself.

Yes, new. One place quoted 72,000 and another 60,000. What makes it funny is that the two suppliers are located on the same soi. I don't know if I am allowed to do this but here goes. The place that quoted 60k was Sportathlon.  

20 minutes ago, tropo said:

That's a bargain! If anyone wants a machine I would suggest they jump at this opportunity now. 

This is even better. It is a little closer to my home. 

I just saw an Airbike on that link you posted. I have never heard of these before. While I am looking to burn some calories, I would also like to tighten up a bit. Do you know anything about them? 

Edited by GarryP

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

I just saw an Airbike on that link you posted. I have never heard of these before. While I am looking to burn some calories, I would also like to tighten up a bit. Do you know anything about them? 

Assault airbike and C2 rower are the most popular cardio equipments in crossfit gym.

Airbike is most using in high intensity interval training (HIIT) and warm up before weight training sessions, but not popular in long time cadio workouts.

2 hours ago, GarryP said:

It's a variety of exercycle...

Biking is a poor choice compared to rowing. Rowing nearly works every muscle in the body. Do some pushups on the side and you've covered everything. Biking is also not great for the posture as biking normally involves a humped forward position (when pushing hard), whereas rowing can correct posture by working all the back muscles. It can also be tough on the testicles if you spend a lot of time on there.:smile:

However, rowing and biking combined (same workout or different workout) is a great combination because biking works the legs a lot harder than rowing.

If your budget is the reason why you want to get something cheaper, that's a different matter. People with back problems may find rowing difficult or impossible. 

• Like 1

On 12/27/2016 at 6:10 PM, tropo said:

I think I've joined the Team challenge now. I've sent a message to support to find out if interval rest meters count toward the total meters I row.

Concept2 just got back to me about this. Yes, they do count rest meters in the team challenge. I'm really fond of Interval training on the rowing machine, so it's good to know they all count.

• Like 1

I'm getting warmed up! I did my last row for the year - 10,000m. That was 6 x 5 min intervals, including rest meters. Your challenge will probably make me row a bit further than usual LOL.

Maybe Robblok will join your challenge - he puts in a lot of meters every month.

Edited by tropo

57 minutes ago, tropo said:

I'm getting warmed up! I did my last row for the year - 10,000m. That was 6 x 5 min intervals, including rest meters. Your challenge will probably make me row a bit further than usual LOL.

Maybe Robblok will join your challenge - he puts in a lot of meters every month.

I just requested you as training partner, waiting your confirmation.

Hope to see Robblok join our team and welcome every rower from Thaivisa community.

Edited by TaveewatLim

2 hours ago, tropo said:

It's a variety of exercycle...

Biking is a poor choice compared to rowing. Rowing nearly works every muscle in the body. Do some pushups on the side and you've covered everything. Biking is also not great for the posture as biking normally involves a humped forward position (when pushing hard), whereas rowing can correct posture by working all the back muscles. It can also be tough on the testicles if you spend a lot of time on there.:smile:

However, rowing and biking combined (same workout or different workout) is a great combination because biking works the legs a lot harder than rowing.

If your budget is the reason why you want to get something cheaper, that's a different matter. People with back problems may find rowing difficult or impossible. 

Unfortunately, I have lower back pain from time to time. I was hoping the rower would help strengthen my back muscles.

44 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Unfortunately, I have lower back pain from time to time. I was hoping the rower would help strengthen my back muscles.

It will but you have to build up slowly and not rush it. I've had my share of back trouble over the years, and now that I row regularly again I have no more trouble... but I had to build up my strength slowly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TaveewatLim said:

I just requested you as training partner, waiting your confirmation.

Hope to see Robblok join our team and welcome every rower from Thaivisa community.

I don't know what you mean by training partner. I already joined your team and the challenge a few days ago.

Edit: It's ok, I've got it - I just accepted. This is a separate thing.

Team challenge.jpg

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tropo said:

I don't know what you mean by training partner. I already joined your team and the challenge a few days ago.

Team challenge.jpg

1 hour ago, tropo said:

Team challenge.jpg

Thank you, now we can see each other workout data through training partner menu.

Been reading some of this thread with interest and thinking of buying one to supplement my weightraining , currently doing some Running and Bagwork for cardio but finding the Running is becoming more and more hardwork.

One small point regarding the rower, how does the dampner affect times and distances, i imagine if it is set at a low setting then times are quicker or does the computer adjust for this ?

4 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

Been reading some of this thread with interest and thinking of buying one to supplement my weightraining , currently doing some Running and Bagwork for cardio but finding the Running is becoming more and more hardwork.

One small point regarding the rower, how does the dampner affect times and distances, i imagine if it is set at a low setting then times are quicker or does the computer adjust for this ?

http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/training/tips-and-general-info/damper-setting-101

On 12/30/2016 at 9:22 AM, GarryP said:

Just been quoted 58,000 baht by Sportathlon, not much difference i know but every little helps :smile:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alfieconn said:

Somewhere in the middle works best for most people. Everyone will perform differently on different settings depending on their power and strength. I use setting 5 to get my best performance. I heard one training theory that long-distance athletes with primarily slow twitch muscle should use higher settings to develop strength, and muscular guys with well trained fast twitch muscle (from resistance training) should use lower settings to develop more power (speed).

If you use the maximum settings (10) you'll soon run out of steam, so although you could show higher performance numbers (pace, watts) for a while, you'll lose the race. The high settings also require more muscular effort, so if you're weight training you don't need that.

When you first get the Concept2 I would recommend you experiment a lot with different settings to find your sweet spot.