Concept 2 Rower Model D (Exercise For Fat Loss)

robblok

Wow best row so far ever.. i always wanted to do 10.000 meter in 45 minutes while keeping my heartrate in MAF level. Now i shattered that by doing a 44.40 more then 40 seconds improvement on my previous best.

Watching myself on the big screen and having a past row rowing against me plus a pace boat at 2:30 per 500 meters to see my progress i loved it.

Row pro can be good but it made an error and i could not save it.. too bad but i know i did it.

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow best row so far ever.. i always wanted to do 10.000 meter in 45 minutes while keeping my heartrate in MAF level. Now i shattered that by doing a 44.40 more then 40 seconds improvement on my previous best.

Watching myself on the big screen and having a past row rowing against me plus a pace boat at 2:30 per 500 meters to see my progress i loved it.

Row pro can be good but it made an error and i could not save it.. too bad but i know i did it.

Reading that made me sad. I lost all my rowing data from last year because my log card packed it in. If only I had backed it up....sad.png

Reading that made me sad. I lost all my rowing data from last year because my log card packed it in. If only I had backed it up....sad.png

Yes backing up data is something you should do. Your accident proved that. Its nice to see history and such at times. I am still real pleased with my rower and use it even more now as i use it for warmup now too. Before i used the bike to warmup (still do for legs) but i think its better to use the rower if im to do any kind of upper body work. Of course i will start with the rower and then some light weights.

Injury prevention is a lot higher on my list then it were a few years ago. I used to be one of those idiots that did not warmup.

Yes backing up data is something you should do. Your accident proved that. Its nice to see history and such at times. I am still real pleased with my rower and use it even more now as i use it for warmup now too. Before i used the bike to warmup (still do for legs) but i think its better to use the rower if im to do any kind of upper body work. Of course i will start with the rower and then some light weights.

Injury prevention is a lot higher on my list then it were a few years ago. I used to be one of those idiots that did not warmup.

I used to do that too - bike before a leg workout.... but I've come to the conclusion that rowing is even better than biking for a warmup before legs. It warms up the core (lower back) and you're using your legs in the same motion as squats. The rhythmic breathing with rowing also makes it more beneficial.

• 2 weeks later...

Good info here from tropo and robblok - the main contributors in this forum part, if I may say so.

Warmup rowing is great and rowing in general too.

Just burning calories - nothing beats rowing in my opinion. Long, slow pulls at 800-900 calories per hour ( on the computer PM4).

With a bit of practice most people can do this for 90 minutes - 1200 calories. Not many older knees can hold up for that amount of calorie loss training 5-6 times a week.

Combine rowing with weights, running, yoga, PT grinders and a bit of extra stretching and you are sure to look and feel healthy.

I think you're underestimating your effort. 800 - 900 calories per hour on the rower is a very hard effort. There's no way I would want to do that for 90 minutes. I also doubt many people would be able to do that. I've never rowed for more than an hour and that was too long.

If you do that, then hats off to you - you're an accomplished rower.

8-900 is steady/hard with about 135-140 in pulse. It's very difficult to do that in running - for me at least. In running 8-900 calories/hour would be a very hard effort, whereas in rowing it's a steady to hard effort. Very different and something that can be done 5-6 times a week. Running at that effort is not possible for me 5-6 times/week.

I think you're underestimating your effort. 800 - 900 calories per hour on the rower is a very hard effort. There's no way I would want to do that for 90 minutes. I also doubt many people would be able to do that. I've never rowed for more than an hour and that was too long.

If you do that, then hats off to you - you're an accomplished rower.

Forgive the intrusion but 800-900 calories /hour would be horrendous regardless of the exercise. Exactly as you've said, most people just wouldn't be able to do it.

8-900 is steady/hard with about 135-140 in pulse. It's very difficult to do that in running - for me at least. In running 8-900 calories/hour would be a very hard effort, whereas in rowing it's a steady to hard effort. Very different and something that can be done 5-6 times a week. Running at that effort is not possible for me 5-6 times/week.

I don't understand how you could keep a 135-140 pulse rate doing 800-900 calories /hour. I'm no couch potato but at that pace my heart rate would be about 160. You must be extremely well conditioned.

Good info here from tropo and robblok - the main contributors in this forum part, if I may say so.

Warmup rowing is great and rowing in general too.

Just burning calories - nothing beats rowing in my opinion. Long, slow pulls at 800-900 calories per hour ( on the computer PM4).

With a bit of practice most people can do this for 90 minutes - 1200 calories. Not many older knees can hold up for that amount of calorie loss training 5-6 times a week.

Combine rowing with weights, running, yoga, PT grinders and a bit of extra stretching and you are sure to look and feel healthy.

Wow 800-900 cal rows. Now i do a bit over 600 in 45 minutes that would make it 750 in an hour. Granted, i could go up a bit more if i forgot about the heartrate range. But i keep it there as to make sure it does not get to intense and damage my other goals (weightlifting and recovery). Its a tricky thing to get a good balance here. My pulse rate would be around 142. Tropo is a bit stronger then me so he would be higher but still an extra 45 min and keeping the heartrate down. I would not be able to do it. My speed on my best row with 142 heartrate would be 2:14 for 45 minutes. It would only go up more if i go to 90 minutes.

SamGio is really well conditioned, I have read about his rowing and he is great at it.

I don't understand how you could keep a 135-140 pulse rate doing 800-900 calories /hour. I'm no couch potato but at that pace my heart rate would be about 160. You must be extremely well conditioned.

Yes, conditioning of course has a lot to do with it. I have about 25+ years of hard endurance sports in my body.

But let me also suggest that technique in rowing makes a big difference. The concept2 website has a good 5-6 minute video. The legs really do about 60-70% of the work, so if you kick with your legs like when jumping for a basketball shot jump it starts you off nicely. Then a long steady pull etc.

So yes conditioning is a factor in my numbers of course, but technique has a large part to play as well.

Yes, conditioning of course has a lot to do with it. I have about 25+ years of hard endurance sports in my body.

But let me also suggest that technique in rowing makes a big difference. The concept2 website has a good 5-6 minute video. The legs really do about 60-70% of the work, so if you kick with your legs like when jumping for a basketball shot jump it starts you off nicely. Then a long steady pull etc.

So yes conditioning is a factor in my numbers of course, but technique has a large part to play as well.

Technique is very important, however I've got the technique perfected and I know your pace is high even with good technique. Rob is also rowing very well technique wise. Over a 30 minute row it could be considered moderate, but over 90 minutes it is very intense.

I wouldn't row that long and often as I use the trunk muscles too much throughout my weekly weight training schedule. Rowing hard a day or two after deadlifting and squating sessions becomes too much.

• 2 months later...

Very interesting thread!

I am slow poke compared to you guys;

Best time is around 2:21/500 m, but I enjoy concept2 for general health (including mental). My typical workout is ~30-52 minutes (8k or so for latter), couple of times each week. I vary my stroke rate between 14 and 24, try to focus on form - make each stroke count. Yes, slow, but it meets my goals.

I am visitor to bangkok (see doc; not for beer).

Was hoping someone might suggest a local gym or two where I can get 1 MONTH membership.

I've visited a few of the chain gyms and found either NO single month membership, OR the concept2 equipment is in poor shape or old that it is a bit of turnoff.

Still glad to see rowing community here!

Thanks.

jim

Hi, it would help if you tell me where you are in Thailand, not that I know many gyms as i train at home. But some of the people posting here do know them.

Its not about speed and to each his or her own, at the moment im still rowing but a bit less as im now lifting more. Before i was in a weight loss phase and now im a building phase. But i must say i love my trusty concept 2 rower. Its a great piece of kit to have.

Just finished a nice workout first a bit of rowing then lifting and abs.

I've seen 4 Concept 2 rowers in Pattaya gyms over the last year (in 4 different gyms lol) - and all of them are in dreadful condition and never see service. The one I'm using right now hasn't had a functioning battery in it for at least 4 months and I need to clean the slides each time I use it to get off the accumulated gunk which builds up rapidly when people sweat over the slide.

These days I go for a calorie burn of 500 - when I reach that I stop. I'm not concerned with the speed of the row, which does vary quite a lot depending on my mood and energy levels.

Hi, it would help if you tell me where you are in Thailand

I am in Bangkok (near MRT, Sutthisan).

Just fyi, so far, I've found these Concept2 rowers (problem is finding affordable SINGLE month or short-term membership)

Concept2 Model D or Model E:

-Fitness First (2 @Rama 9, 1@ Terminal 21), good condition (just needs a bit more cleaning tools)

-California Wow (2@ Esplanade), needs cleaning, battery, chain

Older models (model C?)

-Crush (2@ Silom)

-Chuck Hatch (1@ Silom)

Im sorry that i cant help you much further then as these are the major chains and if they are not affordable then it will be hard to find. But others might know more. I always workout at home so I am not the best source of information on this. You might start a post in the bangkok part of the forum.

One major maintenance problem is dust accumulating in the flywheel cover. This reduces the drag factor as the vent holes become clogged. A machine may look to be in good condition and run smoothly, yet the drag factor has diminished significantly.

For example, the machine at Fairtex (Pattaya) on position 10 has a drag factor equivalent to my machine on position 4.... or about 220+ on my new machine compared to about 120 on the Fairtex machine.

You can test the drag factor before you start rowing. This is a good idea if you use different machines. Under main menu you select "more options" and select "display drag factor"... and start rowing and it will be displayed for you.

I have opened mine up once its easy to clean (and there was nothing to clean at that point). Getting it back together was a bit harder but also not that hard.

Rather than going to the trouble of opening it up, why not just record the drag factor at damper setting 10. If you see it drop, then that's the time to open it up and clean it. I think with one person using it 3 times per week for 30 minutes or so, in a clean environment, it's going to take a long time to gunk up.

I'm curious to know if there are any similar but cheaper rowers available in Thailand. I'm a beginner and just don't have 30k to spend. Anything decent around 15k?

Because from what I've been reading rowing gives a decent all round conditioning.

Thanks Al

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

I'm curious to know if there are any similar but cheaper rowers available in Thailand. I'm a beginner and just don't have 30k to spend. Anything decent around 15k?

Because from what I've been reading rowing gives a decent all round conditioning.

Thanks Al

Actually the cost of buying one is probably around 55k including import duties and taxes. It is a good idea to try rowing first before you invest too much. It may not be the exercise for you. I still don't enjoy doing it after 20 years or so (off and on). When my wife watches me row she says it looks like torture. She's not far wrong.

There are cheaper rowing machines available here. I have no clue how much they are or how good they are. I used a different rower at my gym here in Pattaya for a few years (for warmups) and it was nothing compared to a Concept2 rower.

Thanks Al

Actually the cost of buying one is probably around 55k including import duties and taxes. It is a good idea to try rowing first before you invest too much. It may not be the exercise for you. I still don't enjoy doing it after 20 years or so (off and on). When my wife watches me row she says it looks like torture. She's not far wrong.

There are cheaper rowing machines available here. I have no clue how much they are or how good they are. I used a different rower at my gym here in Pattaya for a few years (for warmups) and it was nothing compared to a Concept2 rower.

Good point first try it then buy it its a lot of money and if you don't like it.

I still row a bit less now because i am now in a bit more of a building phase.. but at the moment my gf is making more time on the rower as me. The thing that keeps her going is progress.

• 4 weeks later...

Here are really nice and most informative articles is written by you all. I really appreciate that. According to me if you'll concentrate to your diet and exercise, You can lose your weight quickly. Always try to eat low fated food and also avoid to eat fast food and drink green tea to boost your metabolism. With your diet must do some exercise. In exercise, cycling and swimming, both are good option.

• 4 months later...

Hi. My experience for what it's worth is buy the Concept machine. I agree with the comments regarding it never gets easy, it doesn't. I've been at it for 12years and I still struggle some days. Here in the UK I have one of the Concept 2 Dynamics and would definitely recommend them over the fixed foot plate machines, albeit they are 30% more expensive. Mine cost £1305 delivered 15months ago.

I visited Pattaya 6 weeks ago and was gutted I couldn't find a gym with one in a decent state or repair. I admit I gave up after a couple of looks but wish I'd posted here first.

When I got home after 3weeks on the lash I was in agony with my back (the rower helps enormously), although 11hours seated on a darkened plane didn't help.

My advice to anyone is buy one and get stuck in to using it. Commit. If you think too much or try it first there's a good chance you'll walk away.

Overall then, would you all say it's not possible to find a well maintained machine in Pattaya? I ask because I want to come back for a few weeks next year and really have got to sort a rower first.

Hi. My experience for what it's worth is buy the Concept machine. I agree with the comments regarding it never gets easy, it doesn't. I've been at it for 12years and I still struggle some days. Here in the UK I have one of the Concept 2 Dynamics and would definitely recommend them over the fixed foot plate machines, albeit they are 30% more expensive. Mine cost £1305 delivered 15months ago.

I visited Pattaya 6 weeks ago and was gutted I couldn't find a gym with one in a decent state or repair. I admit I gave up after a couple of looks but wish I'd posted here first.

When I got home after 3weeks on the lash I was in agony with my back (the rower helps enormously), although 11hours seated on a darkened plane didn't help.

My advice to anyone is buy one and get stuck in to using it. Commit. If you think too much or try it first there's a good chance you'll walk away.

Overall then, would you all say it's not possible to find a well maintained machine in Pattaya? I ask because I want to come back for a few weeks next year and really have got to sort a rower first.

I know of 4 Concept 2 rowers in Pattaya at regular gyms (Tony's and Fairtex). The Fairtex machine is in the best condition of the 4, but the load is very low as they've obviously never cleaned out the fan housing and the holes are clogged with dust so the damper setting on 10 was about equivalent to 1 or 2 on my machine at home. The 2nd best of the 4 is situated in the cardio room at Tony's main gym on 3rd Road. This is a Concept 2 model E, but the monitor doesn't work and the rail can get a bit raspy.

If you don't mind spending a bit more for casual visits, you may be able to find a decent Concept 2 Rower at a hotel gym. You can try Centara Grand in Naklua, Royal Cliff or the Marriott Gym.

• 4 months later...

Archived