Concept 2 Rower Model D (Exercise For Fat Loss)

robblok

The January challenge is over. 578 teams consisting of 6925 members rowed a total of 789,728,534 meters.

That's a trip to the moon and back with change or nearly 20 times around the earth at the equator.

Edited by tropo

Well I finally made the plunge and bought one. Still trying to work things out but did a few kilometers on it yesterday. Will start off slowly and build up as suggested in the material that came with it. Also, need to make sure I am doing the exercise right, but does not seem too hard and very natural. In the meantime, I need to get a decent length usb cable to connect to my computer. Or should I use my mobile phone and down load ErgData? Bluetooth or cable connection (stability)?

As you will see, I am not very tech savvy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TaveewatLim said:

Thailand indoor rowing team got 313th from 577 teams.

This challenge have more teams than last challenge.

Not too bad for team that have only two members.

wp_ss_20170206_0001.png

In reality, we did a lot better than that. There's no point comparing a 2 man team with teams that have many members. Some teams have 100's of members.

Let's compare apples with apples. I applied the filters to show only teams of 1 - 5 members, and virtual rowing.

We were 55th out of 179 teams. If you eliminate all the 3 - 5 member teams, leaving only 2 member teams, we were 17th place overall.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GarryP said:

Well I finally made the plunge and bought one. Still trying to work things out but did a few kilometers on it yesterday. Will start off slowly and build up as suggested in the material that came with it. Also, need to make sure I am doing the exercise right, but does not seem too hard and very natural. In the meantime, I need to get a decent length usb cable to connect to my computer. Or should I use my mobile phone and down load ErgData? Bluetooth or cable connection (stability)?

As you will see, I am not very tech savvy.

Congratulations!

Start here to learn the correct rowing technique: http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/training/technique-videos

Concept2 have other technique videos on YouTube.

Once you've mastered the basic technique I would recommend you watch Dark Horse Rowing YouTube videos to learn more:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCshPuX_lIPyxu0U2iwhhBZg

You're actually lucky you're starting off now with so much information available. With no one to teach me, I rowed incorrectly for over 20 years before I finally got it right.

My rower came with a 5m USB cable. It's an essential item and should have been included with yours. 

• Like 1

I've watched a number of videos already, including the technique-video on the website so I am quite confident I am reasonably correct for most of the time. Once I have rowed a few kms while focusing on technique, hopefully, it will become second nature.  Unfortunately, no USB cable with mine. I assume because it can work on blue tooth, but it would have been handy.

Thanks for the heads-up on Dark Horse Rowing. 

4 hours ago, GarryP said:

I've watched a number of videos already, including the technique-video on the website so I am quite confident I am reasonably correct for most of the time. Once I have rowed a few kms while focusing on technique, hopefully, it will become second nature.  Unfortunately, no USB cable with mine. I assume because it can work on blue tooth, but it would have been handy.

Thanks for the heads-up on Dark Horse Rowing. 

I bought my rower when the PM4 was current, so perhaps that's why I had the USB cable included. Even now, with the PM5 which I bought last year, I use the cable to upload data to the online logbook. I tried using Erg Data, but had problems using it with my Android Tablet, but it worked well with my wife's iPad. As she's usually busy on her iPad I just use the cable connector. I gave up trying to use a USB flash drive with my PM5. It never worked properly. I hate messing around with technical gadgets which don't work when you need them when you're getting ready to do an exercise session. When I'm ready to go I like to get on with it and messing around with gadgets at that point really puts me off.

If you want the cable, it will be easy to get one sent from Concept2 in the US. It wouldn't cost much.

1 hour ago, tropo said:

I bought my rower when the PM4 was current, so perhaps that's why I had the USB cable included. Even now, with the PM5 which I bought last year, I use the cable to upload data to the online logbook. I tried using Erg Data, but had problems using it with my Android Tablet, but it worked well with my wife's iPad. As she's usually busy on her iPad I just use the cable connector. I gave up trying to use a USB flash drive with my PM5. It never worked properly. I hate messing around with technical gadgets which don't work when you need them when you're getting ready to do an exercise session. When I'm ready to go I like to get on with it and messing around with gadgets at that point really puts me off.

If you want the cable, it will be easy to get one sent from Concept2 in the US. It wouldn't cost much.

Another way to connect Ergdata is using cable, but you have to use OTG dongle attach to the android tablet. It doesn't cost much, just only 200 baht.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TaveewatLim said:

Another way to connect Ergdata is using cable, but you have to use OTG dongle attach to the android tablet. It doesn't cost much, just only 200 baht.

Great idea - I think I have one of them lying around somewhere.

Well, after faffing around for 20 minutes last night, I managed to set everything up. I registered with Concept2 Log and downloaded ErgData. The Bluetooth connection between my mobile phone and the PM5 worked fine and I was able to sync. I still need a USB cable so I can check whether the software is up to date and update the same if needed.

Starting slowly so I only did 2 kms last night. A bit slower than Taveewat suggested. Will increase my speed as I get fitter. For now I will just plod.  

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

Well, after faffing around for 20 minutes last night, I managed to set everything up. I registered with Concept2 Log and downloaded ErgData. The Bluetooth connection between my mobile phone and the PM5 worked fine and I was able to sync. I still need a USB cable so I can check whether the software is up to date and update the same if needed.

Starting slowly so I only did 2 kms last night. A bit slower than Taveewat suggested. Will increase my speed as I get fitter. For now I will just plod.  

Maybe you can use printer cable to connect your PM5 with labtop it have the same connectors.

You can test by install Concept2 Utility and sync with PM5 with the cable if it work fine you can save a lot of money to order cable from US.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2017 at 11:15 AM, TaveewatLim said:

Maybe you can use printer cable to connect your PM5 with labtop it have the same connectors.

You can test by install Concept2 Utility and sync with PM5 with the cable if it work fine you can save a lot of money to order cable from US.

I borrowed a printer cable from the office and it worked fine. Thanks for the tip. I confirmed that the software is up to date so I only use the wifi link with my mobile phone at the moment. Still taking it easy with 2km sessions and doubling up at the weekend. Hope to increase as I get fitter. Already completed the Valentine Challenge, but then it was intentionally easy. I will not participate in the Mud Challenge in March. Too hard for me at the moment.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I borrowed a printer cable from the office and it worked fine. Thanks for the tip. I confirmed that the software is up to date so I only use the wifi link with my mobile phone at the moment. Still taking it easy with 2km sessions and doubling up at the weekend. Hope to increase as I get fitter. Already completed the Valentine Challenge, but then it was intentionally easy. I will not participate in the Mud Challenge in March. Too hard for me at the moment.

I couldn't complete the Valentine Challenge because I got a flu?.

Actually I'll use Valentine challenge certificate as my valentine gift card.

Mud challenge is hard but I'll try. March in Thailand is too hot for running.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TaveewatLim said:

I couldn't complete the Valentine Challenge because I got a flu?.

Actually I'll use Valentine challenge certificate as my valentine gift card.

Mud challenge is hard but I'll try. March in Thailand is too hot for running.

Good luck getting over that flu asap.

I need another 2000m for the Valentines challenge. I did 12,000 the other day. To be honest, I think I burnt myself out in the January challenge as I haven't felt particularly motivated to row so far this month. It is more of a mental burnout than a physical one. I'm still getting out to the park to exercise, but park visits may stop when it gets very hot next month and I'll row more.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GarryP said:

Well done! I'd like to caution you about over-training. I know it's new and exciting, and the tendency for people is to overdo a new thing and then burn out and give up. The last thing you want your new machine to become is a dust collector. There's no hurry to get to any point and you need to give your body a chance to adapt to this new exercise. This is one reason why I'm philosophically opposed to competitions and challenges. They tend to push people over the level of training which is healthy, and more often than not, promote injuries.

Just now, tropo said:

Well done! I'd like to caution you about over-training. I know it's new and exciting, and the tendency for people is to overdo a new thing and then burn out and give up. The last thing you want your new machine to become is a dust collector. There's no hurry to get to any point and you need to give your body a chance to adapt to this new exercise. This is one reason why I'm philosophically opposed to competitions and challenges. They tend to push people over the level of training which is healthy, and more often than not, promote injuries.

My girlfriend will make sure that I do not go too far. At the moment I am limiting it to single rows of 2kms on Mon thru Thurs, with Friday off and 4 kms on Saturday and Sunday in two sets of 500m/1r intervals each day. So time wise, only about 9 minutes per each 2k. 

What I find particularly interesting - and frightening - about the rowing machine is that while I'm doing the actual rowing I do not feel overly tired/out of breath. But as soon as I stop then pow!!!! it hits. This is very different to the exercise bike I used to ride a few years back where I was gasping while cycling.  For this reason alone, I will be very careful. 

Actually I have been suffering from rotator cuff/impingement syndrome and I could swear that rowing is helping. I discovered a couple of really good shoulder (physiotherapy) exercises and this coupled with rowing has seen a fantastic improvement in pain free shoulder movement. I discovered the exercises at the same time I started using the concept2 but am sure they are working together. Now back to about 80 percent normal function and considerably less pain than before I got the rower.

PS I am not even going to attempt the mud challenge.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, GarryP said:

My girlfriend will make sure that I do not go too far. At the moment I am limiting it to single rows of 2kms on Mon thru Thurs, with Friday off and 4 kms on Saturday and Sunday in two sets of 500m/1r intervals each day. So time wise, only about 9 minutes per each 2k. 

What I find particularly interesting - and frightening - about the rowing machine is that while I'm doing the actual rowing I do not feel overly tired/out of breath. But as soon as I stop then pow!!!! it hits. This is very different to the exercise bike I used to ride a few years back where I was gasping while cycling.  For this reason alone, I will be very careful. 

Actually I have been suffering from rotator cuff/impingement syndrome and I could swear that rowing is helping. I discovered a couple of really good shoulder (physiotherapy) exercises and this coupled with rowing has seen a fantastic improvement in pain free shoulder movement. I discovered the exercises at the same time I started using the concept2 but am sure they are working together. Now back to about 80 percent normal function and considerably less pain than before I got the rower.

PS I am not even going to attempt the mud challenge.

I'm not surprised your shoulders are improving. One of the reasons so many people get shoulder problems is that they do too many pushing exercises (pushups, bench presses, presses etc) which cause compression in the joint and not enough pulling movements (as in rowing) for the opposing muscle groups which stretch the muscles and relieves the tension in the joint. I've had my share of shoulder injuries myself, and I find rowing therapeutic for the shoulders. Rowing is also great for correcting a hunched forward posture.

Here's a trick which you could try when rowing which I use a lot. Every 5 minutes or so you get off the rower and do some pushups (floor or chair). This will exercise the only muscles you don't work on the rowing machine (pecs, front delts, triceps) and thereby balance out your shoulder strength.

I have femorotibial (knee) osteoarthritis and find rowing improves my knees to the point I no longer have pain. I have to be careful though because if I row too hard my worst knee can start to ache. It's important to consider the first 5 - 10 minutes as a warm up.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, tropo said:

I'm not surprised your shoulders are improving. One of the reasons so many people get shoulder problems is that they do too many pushing exercises (pushups, bench presses, presses etc) which cause compression in the joint and not enough pulling movements (as in rowing) for the opposing muscle groups which stretch the muscles and relieves the tension in the joint. I've had my share of shoulder injuries myself, and I find rowing therapeutic for the shoulders. Rowing is also great for correcting a hunched forward posture.

Here's a trick which you could try when rowing which I use a lot. Every 5 minutes or so you get off the rower and do some pushups (floor or chair). This will exercise the only muscles you don't work on the rowing machine (pecs, front delts, triceps) and thereby balance out your shoulder strength.

I have femorotibial (knee) osteoarthritis and find rowing improves my knees to the point I no longer have pain. I have to be careful though because if I row too hard my worst knee can start to ache. It's important to consider the first 5 - 10 minutes as a warm up.

For the past two years, up until a few months ago when my shoulder problem really started, I was doing 75 push ups a day and a few back stretches. It was probably the push ups coupled with working at a desk all day that caused the shoulder problems. So a big thanks for the tip which I will follow once the shoulder pain is gone, as, believe it or not, I enjoyed doing push ups and the physical results. I'll let you know how it goes.

16 minutes ago, GarryP said:

For the past two years, up until a few months ago when my shoulder problem really started, I was doing 75 push ups a day and a few back stretches. It was probably the push ups coupled with working at a desk all day that caused the shoulder problems. So a big thanks for the tip which I will follow once the shoulder pain is gone, as, believe it or not, I enjoyed doing push ups and the physical results. I'll let you know how it goes.

May I recommend deficit pushups when your shoulder is up to the task. What this means is going lower than the floor, as you would in floor pushups. If you have the right chair or 2 chairs where you can lower yourself into a full stretch at the bottom position. Think of pinching your shoulder blades together at the bottom of the movement. Sink slowly, with the count of 4 and push back up for count 2. Don't worry about how many you can do. When I do them properly, 20 reps is very hard. As you get stronger you can raise your legs off the floor. Alternatively, you can buy pushup handles that do the same job as the chair. I bought Elite "Perfect Pushup" handles on eBay. The handles rotate, so apart from getting the full stretch you also can rotate your hands into the most comfortable position.

I found this style of pushups really improved my shoulder strength and health. I haven't done bench presses for years.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, TaveewatLim said:

Found this ad on Bangkok Craigslist, Concept2 Model E only 20,000 .Very cheap.

wp_ss_20170225_0001.png

wp_ss_20170225_0002.png

Assuming the condition is good and the rail is not damaged, I would call that a steal. If it is worn out from abuse in a public gym, then not so much.

Just in case anyone is wondering what the difference is between the Model D and E, here's the relevant info from the Concept2 website:

The Model E offers presence and durability with its 20-inch frame height, nickel-plated chain, and double powder coat with a glossy finish. From a practical standpoint, the higher frame means easier on-and-off for those with tired knees or mobility considerations. The nickel-plated chain (also featured on the Model D and Dynamic) requires less-frequent oiling. The finish protects against scratches.

The rail height on the Model D is 12 inches.

Edited by tropo

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I am one month in now and this week increased from 2 to 3 kms Monday to Friday. 2000m single session followed by 500m intervals x 2. Will keep on this for another week before moving up to 4 kms on week days. Started to do 5kms at the weekend broken down by a single 2,000m session followed by 6x500m intervals.

The tendons in my legs are definitely more supple, and my leg muscles seem to have grown a bit (or is that wishful thinking). Overall feeling much better but my rankings are still poor. Best time is 8:09.5 for 2000m which puts me at 986 out of 1476 in my age and weight group. Will be happy when I reach about 700, but not in any rush as I have not been doing this type of exercise long.

Definitely glad I bit the bullet and splashed out on the rower.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, TaveewatLim said:

I'm not row for a while, busy on making sprinklers for my yard. ?

Are you sure you're not mentally and physically burnt out on the rowing and taking a break?

I still haven't gotten my enthusiasm back after that January challenge LOL. From February until now I've posted my lowest rowing distance in 2 years. I think I'll pass up on challenges for awhile.:smile:

13 hours ago, tropo said:

Are you sure you're not mentally and physically burnt out on the rowing and taking a break?

I still haven't gotten my enthusiasm back after that January challenge LOL. From February until now I've posted my lowest rowing distance in 2 years. I think I'll pass up on challenges for awhile.:smile:

No , I'm not burnt out. Actually I row at the morning but now I have to use my workout time to do my DIY project instead.

My irrigation system is take almost 2 rai , it very big yard , take a lot of time and costly, then I decision to do by myself.

Although, I still running 2 times a week , lifting weights on Saturday morning.?

4 hours ago, TaveewatLim said:

No , I'm not burnt out. Actually I row at the morning but now I have to use my workout time to do my DIY project instead.

My irrigation system is take almost 2 rai , it very big yard , take a lot of time and costly, then I decision to do by myself.

Although, I still running 2 times a week , lifting weights on Saturday morning.?

My burnout is getting bored with doing it every day rather than being physically exhausted. I do a lot of weight training too. I did notice your rowing program lacks diversity. Have you considered doing some shorter/intense rows? Perhaps some interval training?

5 hours ago, tropo said:

My burnout is getting bored with doing it every day rather than being physically exhausted. I do a lot of weight training too. I did notice your rowing program lacks diversity. Have you considered doing some shorter/intense rows? Perhaps some interval training?

Most of my rowing are 30 minutes and 10,000 meters row. I get used to 6K running which I use about 30-35 minutes then I try to row at the same time. My 30 minute rowing got about 7K and burn about 450-500 kcal whichis close to my 6K running.

I like long steady state rowing more than HIIT but I'll try interval next time.?