Concept 2 Rower Model D (Exercise For Fat Loss)

robblok

Seems i really loose what i have build stamina wise fast. But get it back fast too. Now im equaling my old top rows. How is that with you tropo if you are out of the game for 1,5 week.. Do you go down or up in your rowing.

I went down but now im back and ready for more. Dit feel my upper back (lats) today at first and my legs (but worked on those friday).

Anyway 45 min done before breakfast and suits good in my shedule.

Over the course of a week I'll vary a lot in my intensity on the rower. It's not because my performance goes up and down, it's more about motivation to push hard or not on any particular day.

As you know, my rowing is mostly done at a low heart rate, way below my true MAF. Due to the low intensity I never test my maximum capabilities. As I only use rowing as a fat burner I'm not really concerned about intensity.

Having said that, if I take a break from rowing I always feel stronger when I come back. This is assuming I'm maintaining my fitness in other ways during the break.

No training for me.. car accident. Car total loss gf was driving hit a concrete pilar. I was a passenger. I think i got some sprains. To be honest i think i can do the rowing motion but decided to give it a few days to heal. (also need to make up working for lost time)

No training for me.. car accident. Car total loss gf was driving hit a concrete pilar. I was a passenger. I think i got some sprains. To be honest i think i can do the rowing motion but decided to give it a few days to heal. (also need to make up working for lost time)

You're hurt, the car is a total loss, but how about the gf? Is she ok?

Gf still in the hospital, broken collar bone. Just posted in health part questions about this. Because want to know how long before she will be up and running. Right now she is still in pain. I will be visiting her later today.

Down at the gym yesterday there was a 59 year old, out of condition guy on a Cybex next to me. The personal trainer stuck him on there - pressed the "weight loss" option - entered his body weight - input 30 minutes.

After about 15 minutes he was so puffed he had to stop. After talking to him I learnt that prior to January this year he had never trained before. He also indicated that he wasn't feeling so good due to a big night the night before.

I mentioned heart rate. He didn't have a clue. No one had even mentioned that to him. He had paid 50K for 3 months of personal training 3x per week and not one personal trainer had even mentioned a thing about heart rate.

If he had kept his heart rate at or under his MAF of 121 I'm sure he would have had a satisfactory workout. He's trying to lose weight.

I can't believe that well into the 2nd decade of the 21st century that people aren't the slightest bit interested in monitoring heart rate. This is guy is turning 60 for goodness sake. I was using heart rate monitors nearly 30 years ago. You'd think that protecting the most important internal organ would be a high priority.

On a more humorous note, I saw some of the funkiest rowing technique I've ever seen yesterday. No one is even the slightest bit interested in teaching people how to row correctly. You'd think they'd at least watch the way I'm rowing next to them and think "hey, why don't I try that".

Edited by tropo

On a bright note i think i can row tonight. It hurts when i row but not badly. Things have greatly improved. I will see just a short half hour row will suffice.. No weight training yet as i think that might be a bit too much still. Though im sure i could manage a leg workout.

Pretty amazing really. 2 days after a serious smash and you're back at it again. That's modern technology for you - no air bags and you might have been toast.

Ironically, at the gym the day of your smash, before I heard about yours, a regular at the gym was telling me about he just had an accident on his bike and was in hospital for a week. I better watch myself - no air bags on the bike.

How's the wife holding up?

Edited by tropo

Hi,

The wife is holding up ok, she has her arms immobilized so she is in need of help. She is also hurt and in pain so its a bit hard for her. But she is recovering.

Just did my first 30 min morning MAF. Decided to not go over the top and experiment. I tried it without shoes and socks.. result i might try it again with socks and no shoes. I had problems with my feet falling asleep. But without socks is a bit anoying as it starts to hurt too.

My chest still hurts and i feel it while rowing. Its nothing major just an ache and i actually think rowing will loosen it all up a bit or at least help blood flowing through it and help with the healing.

I was surprised how good the time was it was one of my better times without trying too much and at an disadvantage. You will hear more from me. Off for a shower and some breakfast. Maybe some light weight training tonight. But first a lot of accounting work.

That's great that you can already row after just a few days. Remember I mentioned that a rest can really help your rowing performance - you're even noticing that with an injury. I was concerned that you would lose momentum after your accident. I think it is extremely important that you do whatever you can to keep going.

I decided to give the gym a break today and do a 60 minute cardio session on the rower instead. This session was actually true MAF and even a bit over near the end. I haven't done a true MAF on the rower yet as my heart rate is usually quite a bit under but today I felt like pulling harder than I normally do.

Here's what I got in the hour. At 955 calories it was a pretty good session.

post-34982-0-03382500-1341555757_thumb.j

Edited by tropo

Tropo,

That is a great session and i was affraid that i would loose momentum too. That is why i started again already. I will see tomorrow. Weight lifting is still a week off i think. If i put too much pressure there i does hurt. I am not pain free yet.

I noticed on the log card that the average heart rate is not an average of the true heart rate but an average of the maximum reached in each split. Although it gave an average of 135 for my session, my true average would not have been over 130.

May I suggest you try Voltaren at 2 x 100mg per day. It really helped me get back into it quickly when I hurt my back this February. It made a huge difference.

Did a non MAF row of 30 minutes. I intended a MAF but after a false start (began and my feet in just socks were slipping so i changed to shoes and started over) i found out i had no heart rate monitor. I just did not want to set it up again and went on rowing at a much higher intensity.

I think its ok to do as i dont do any lifting just yet. Anyway i did 30% more but felt tired after the row unlike with MAF. But it was good to do it. Though more boring then MAF because i did not have a heartrate to look at.

I usually need to adapt my speed a lot to the heart rate.

LOL. I would have just gotten off to get the heart rate monitor. It doesn't work well with socks or bare feet because the heels move up and and down when you row causing too much friction.

How was your chest feeling on this row? You must be healing up very quickly.

2 days no rowing just did not work out the way i wanted it will row tomorrow again. Still pain when i sneeze or put pressure on it in certain ways. I had a crash last night total loss of all energy. Think it must have been the cafeine. Used a bit too much for work.

Great morning row, better as anything before but it was only 30 minutes. I just need to get back on track. I will be trying to lift some weights too tonight. Its now a week ago since the accident.

I find it hard to get back into a routine once it has been disturbed plus the extra workload i have this month does not make it better.

I was amazed today at how low my heart stayed and how good it went it was a 10% increase on my previous best.

I was amazed today at how low my heart stayed and how good it went it was a 10% increase on my previous best.

There could be 2 reasons for the increase in performance. It could be that you were overtrained before and now your system has had a good rest or it could be because you're not doing any weight training so you're going into your row with fully recovered muscles. You use a lot of different muscle groups in rowing.

A week is not much of a break. I train each bodypart directly once every 7 days - sometimes even longer if I have a rest day or two in between.

I am just happy that im slowly getting back to what i should be doing. Work and that accident messed me up. Right now i just need to keep this going.

How have you been going with your diet? Did you lower your calorie consumption to compensate for less activity?

I did but truth be told there were 2 days that i went wrong. Other then that i lowered my calorie consumption.

But now i can train and exercise again. Will try with some light weights tonight. Most movements should be ok but better try it first with lower weights.

Good on you! Keep it up! Don't let this little minor incident set you back. (if you could call writing off a car minor).

The only way to recover from injuries is to test it out on specific movements. You will be surprised how much you can do.

Just picture me crutching around the gym with a broken tibia, femur, ulna and radius. I had to use special gutter crutches due to the broken arm..... never say die.thumbsup.gif

It's probably a good thing that this happened in your busy work month. You're forced to rest more than usual...

Keep on trucking!

Back.. wow what a row so close to my fast row without restraints that one was 6500 meters in 30 min this one was 6330 meters MAF and i tell you the MAF feels much better.

I also discovered the best way for me to do morning rows is to use 1 cafeine tab to wake up. I am real weary about using them because a couple of days ago i used them 5 (during the day) and in the evening i felt weak (out of breath if i walked up the steps) sweating and heart racing. So i have to control myself. I took so many because i love working on them (everything goes so much faster and i dont take breaks often).

But i think if i can keep it to 1 in the morning ill be ok. Its great to do a MAF like that i think the body really starts to adapt to MAF. But also i changed a bit kept my heart rate lower so i did not have to slow down if it went a bit higher. This way i did not have problems of slowing down too much.

Good work!

It really is quite amazing to discover how efficient MAF training is. Yesterday I did a true MAF session on the Cybex Arc Trainer staying faithfully to my 128 - 130 range and burned 1140 calories in 60 minutes.

This is incredible because several months ago in my pre-MAF days I was caning myself with hard cardio and burning in the 1200 - 1300 calorie range per hour and feeling totally f***** afterwards. Now I burn close to the same number of calories and feel great afterwards and find the session relatively easy. I can have a conversation while I'm doing it. On the last session I was chatting for the whole hour and burned 1200 calories.

Doing MAF on the bike I burn about 800 calories per hour. On the rower about 900. I like doing a combination of bike/cybex or sometimes row/bike/cybex as it helps to alleviate the boredom. Of all 3 or these exercises I find rowing for 60 minutes the hardest - and it usually brings up a blister on my already calloused hands.

Tropo,

I agree, MAF is much easier to do and you feel better afterwards. I am happy i started MAF training its relatively easy and its good. I am not close to the amounts of calories that you are burning.

I had the best morning row ever and it came up to less then 100 meters to a full out row. That is pretty amazing. I feel great after it. I had slept real good woke up a bit late and also turned on the aircon (normally dont do that). Wow happy about this. My normal workouts are also slowly returning to normal. I did gain half a kg or so. But i will see how fast that is gone.

Good work.

My job today is to figure out where I'm going to train. My marathon cardio sessions may be a thing of the past because there's no other Cybex machines in Pattaya.crying.gif