Non-B Visa, No Work Permit

I entered Thailand on a non-B visa valid for the initial 90 days, based on impending employment.

Now there's a problem with the company and I may not get a work permit.

I understand I can't get the 1 year renewal without a work permit, but can I stay the full initial 90 days, or do I need to leave immediately?

• 4 weeks later...

Is it possible for the school to cancel the non-B visa?

My new employer wants me to get the old non-b visa cancelled, get a 7 day extension, and then apply for a work permit for a year. Doesn't sound right to me.

It doesnt sound right....if the visa is cancelled how can you get a 7 day extension on somethng which has been canceled ?

They are likely thinking you have an extension of stay rather than a 90 day visa entry - that is not canceled and with that paperwork you can go directly to work permit and extension of stay if qualified.

You are still here on the initial 90 day non immigrant B visa entry right? Unless there is a passport entry linking your visa to only that school (as would be the case with an extension of stay) you should be able to use.

When I got the non-B they wrote on the visa the name of the school it was for.

Now I want to work at a different school. So I'm assuming it would be a problem to go to immigration with paperwork for the new school and a non-b visa with another school's name on it.

But is it even possible for a school to cancel a non-B visa on the initial 90 days? I thought they can only cancel the work permit.