Pcx Tail Rack -- How To Install

Thailaw

I recently purchased a tail rack for my PCX. It came with no installation diagram or instructions. A picture of the rack is below. Several shops, including 2 Mityon Honda shops, said it cannot be installed on a PCX.. Mai Tai told me the same thing. I have gotten it installed, but with some changes, and it really doesn't look right the way it is now on the bike. Has anyone put a rack like this on the back of their PCX? If so, can you provide close-up pictures of the rack on the PCX or a clear explanation (where the holes for the mounting screws were drilled, was the rack installed above or below the rear bracket on the PCX, etc.) of how the rack was installed? Thanks for any help/guidance.

post-44514-0-85425100-1337846741_thumb.j

You usually have to remove the small plastic piece that runs around the bottom of the grab bar. You then bolt the rack on and only re-install the top section of the grab bar. Best of luck.

Brian

Thanks, but in this case the holes in the rack line up perfectly with the holes in the lower section of the grab bar. So, the lower section of the grab bar must be in place to bolt the rack into those holes. I think it may bolt under the grab bar, with holes being drilled through the plastic under the grab bar to get the mounting bolts into the threaded screw holes. Right now, it is over the plastic cover of the grab bar, and it just doesn't look right -- too much of the mounting brackets are showing, and there are metal spacers on top of the rear screw holes of the rack's mounting bracket that serve no function as it is installed. .

Edited by Thailaw

Where and how much was that? I might want one... Got a box now but it's pretty ugly so may just sell it and get bars... Look forward to some pics

I got it at Chiang Rai Saddlebags. They have a site on the web. I paid B1100 plus shipping. As I said, it came with no installation instructions. All the seller could tell me was that I needed to drill holes on each side of the plactic parts on the PCX. After drilling the holes, the screws provided were too small a diameter for the holes already under the plastic on the PCX. I took it to a local motorcycle shop, and the guy did a great job cutting spacers and using the correct size bolts. A picture of the rack installed is attached. I then put a Shad box on the rack, which matches the red PCX. I did not like the exposed brackets on the rack and there are spacers welded on the rack that stick up and serve no function like that. So I think it is not installed as intended. I decided to cover the brackets with a back rest and grab bars. It looks pretty good as installed with the grab bars covering the brackets. If I were doing it again, I cut off the spacers welded to the rack and trim the long anchoring bar. I'd still like to know how the rack is supposed to go on. The guy from Summit never got back to me -- I guess I shouldn't be surprised about that....

post-44514-0-89164400-1338284796_thumb.j

post-44514-0-30636700-1338284880_thumb.j

post-44514-0-35559100-1338284961_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

anyone know where to get a proper rack made by Givi or some other maker rather than these home made affairs which look fine on a Mio but the PCX needs something a bit more classy

To each his own. Givi and Honda both make "racks" for the PCX. Most Honda shops sell them. They are small and made of black plastic and really serve as under support for the Givi boxes, and nothing more. They look pretty cheap to me. The one I put on my PCX is, I agree, not ideal, but much better than the Givi or Honda plastic racks. And it also functions well as a rack without a box on it. I also agree that any rack that does not come with installation instructions and that no one knows how to install is not a good choice. I saw on another internet forum a guy in the US with a PCX and a rack similar (but not identical) to mine asking the same question -- "how the hell does it go on?" Maybe in the not too distant future someone will make a "real" rack for the PCX. Until then, the choices are very limited and not in any case ideal.