Shipping From The Usps

I just bought a battery for my laptop from batteryvalues.com in the US. The Sony replacement is four time more here in Thailand. After I bought it they emailed me that since its the USPS - US postal service, there is no traking number. I had it shipped to my house in Chiang Mai.

Does anyone know what happens to it when it gets here or any info on how to track it. I know were the UPS, DHL and FEDx shops are but I can't seem to find the USPS in Thailand (ha ha).

I got upset and email them that I'm disputeing the charge but I thought I would look into it more before I "go off" on them any further. I told them I would never have gone through them without getting a tracking number or at least the name of the company in thailand that will get it.

Maybe I'm making a big deal out of nothing, maybe it will arrive on my door step some day.

Any info will be appreciated.

I mailed about 6 boxes of my personal stuff there. They were of no real value just pics and clothes and some electronics. I got them all eventually. Most of them came straight to the apartment, but a couple landed in the local main post office. They were held up in customs. No suprise that the ones I had marked electronics were the ones that got held up. I had to go down to the main post office with my then girlfriend and she got it all straightend out. But it took my passport and her ID and a letter from the apartment;and most of an afternoon in lines and different clerks, supervisors :o ..... what I did learn from all of that was to send it to your girlfriend with a Thai name attached.

I had my ex-wife send my some important Banking papers thru UPS from Portland Oregon to my home in Kalasin... Took about 6 days, then I got a call from TNT in Khon Kaen, which sent a driver the one hour drive and delivered it to me personally.... I was impressed...

I would recommend that you have them include your Thai phone # on the address so that you can be called if there is any confusion / misunderstandings...

Pianoman

If your item came from the US in the regular post, then the regular post man will deliver it in Thailand.

Three possible scenarios:-

1. It will arrive at your door no problem

2. You will get a note that it is waiting for you at the post office with some duty (up to 400% on electronic goods) to pay.

3. You will never see it again.

Stuff from the UK takes 1-2 weeks (small parcels), I should expect the same from the US. I would have thought they would use one of the insured / signed-for services offered by USPS though.

Time to sit back and wait.

Your delivery will come straight to home unless customs are due. I've had numerous items shipped by USPS using AIRMAIL and GLOBAL PRIORITY mail with no problems. Items usually arrive within 7 to 10 days. There is no tracking number on overseas mail, except by EXPRESS or REGISTERED MAIL. :o

Greg

Thanks for the replies. Does anyone know if a replacement battery for a laptop would have any duties due or how much? I paid $170 for a double size sony battery replacement.

It will certainly attract duty and my quip about 400% was only slightly overstated. A lot depends how it is described and the value declared on the customs form. I would not be surprised if you get stuffed for 100% of the declared value.

BUT

If it's in the normal post the sheer volume of packages means you have a better than even chance of it getting through without payment. Good luck :o

Just to add a slightly negative note, if sent without registration/signing or something, I used to get things that had been opened with the contents missing, and no way to dispute it (other than to complain to the vendor and hope they would help).

Learned my lesson; used UPS/Fedex etc and tracking etc ensures that there is no time delay or problems.

Working the other way, it used to take things 4 weeks to get to USA, sometimes as long as 6 (with customs) and in my experience it can take that long here. Mostly though within a week; doesn't surprise me as postage companies are so useless compared to courier companies. Plus add in govt incompetence. I'd wait first, complain later.

The results are in!

It took 12 days to be delivered to my door, I signed for it and payed 7 baht. I've had much worse results in the US. What a nice country.

Thanks for letting us know the result. Glad everything turned out OK :o