Lady Gaga Fans Gush, Critics Blast Fake-Watch Tweet: Bangkok

webfact

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Really? not that it matters, but please do provide a source for such spellingwhistling.gif

For someone claiming "not that it matters" you sure do waste quite a bit of space posting about spelling mistakes. Get over it. We all know what was meant.

"We are more civilised than you think," tweeted DJ Suharit Siamwalla, who has a ticket to tonight's show but now plans to boycott it.

Hmmmm.... going to sell to make money or save some face ????????????

"We are more civilised than you think," tweeted DJ Suharit Siamwalla, who has a ticket to tonight's show but now plans to boycott it.

Any comment would be superfluous.....

426117_10150504186351370_7470001369_8984724_1726123732_n.jpg

Like this photo?

Her career is based on controversy but then the Thais complain when she is! Go figure.

This Thai quote says it ALLwhistling.gif

"She came to our home, but instead of admiring us she insulted us," a commentator on the Pantip.com Web forum said."wink.pngbiggrin.png

For Thais, admiration is generally not earned. It is bought.

The first school I worked at in Bangkok had close links with a certain deposed PM. There was a picture of him in the library walking through a market in which every stall was peddling fake watches. I'm sure there are similar pics of other former PMs and high ranking officials glad-handing the locals and ignoring the fact that they are flaunting copyright laws and selling counterfeit goods. It's just not an issue here...until a foreigner points it out. Love this gaga story and the hysterical reaction which only makes them look sillier. Get over yourself (certain) people of Thailand, you're shady and flaunt laws and that's what you are known and loved for!

Yea but don't steal thier secret fish sauce...not fair when tables are turned.....

Edited by BigSkip

Her career is based on controversy but then the Thais complain when she is! Go figure.

This Thai quote says it ALLwhistling.gif

"She came to our home, but instead of admiring us she insulted us," a commentator on the Pantip.com Web forum said."wink.pngbiggrin.png

For Thais, admiration is generally not earned. It is bought.

Oo, low blow. But, true nonetheless.

Lady Gaga kicks off ‘Born This Way Ball Tour’ in Bangkok

image_201205251718198381050A-F84B-A726-4BA3AD94361021B8.jpg

BANGKOK, May 25 - Lady Gaga kicked off her 'Born This Way Ball Tour' in the Thai capital with 50,000 of her so called 'little monsters' expected to view her performance at Rajamangala National Stadium Friday evening.

Fans from Japan, Korean, and Vietnam joined thousands of Thai admirers crowding the premises since early morning, despite pervasive heat, saying they could bear the hot weather.

Hundreds of police and many police dogs and their handlers patrolled the site at 1pm for a last inspection before handing over the venue to the concert promoters.

Still and video cameras, metal accessories, laser pens, flashlights, and LED screen signboards are prohibited in the concert area.

Parking is available at several spots in the stadium itself and nearby areas, but organisers said travel by public transport—including motorcycle taxis, boats, and trains--would be most convenient.

Regarding safety measures, Pol Col Sanhakit Bamrungsuksawat, in charge of the stadium area, said more than 900 police officers are stationed around and inside the stadium. Concert goers must be checked before passing through bomb scanner checkpoints and dog-handling police. Some 200 traffic police are stationed to monitor traffic in the area.

Lady Gaga arrived in Bangkok on a private jet on Wednesday evening. Over 500 Thai fans were on hand to see the pop singer emerge. Some were overwhelmed and cried on seeing her, singing versions of 'Edge of Glory' from her latest 'Born This Way' album in welcome.

A fan said he had waited for his Lady Gaga moment for three years, commenting: "She is very beautiful and not dressed provocatively at all at her arrival, which is really good, especially as Thailand is a Buddhist country."

However, her first tweet on arrival registered excitement: “I just landed in Bangkok baby! Ready for 50,000 screaming Thai monsters.”

But saying “I wanna get lost in a lady market and buy fake Rolex” left many confused about what she meant exactly, and sparked criticism and dissatisfaction among many Thais.

A Friday afternoon a protest demonstration against the pop singer in Silom business district showcased a banner in Thai and English saying "She represents all filthiness. Gaga is the ambassador of Satan,” warning of a “judgment from God to those who reject the light and righteousness."

The curtain rises on Lady Gaga’s 'Born This Way Ball Tour' gig in Bangkok 7:30pm, while gates opened at 5pm. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-05-25

Very funny. She wanted to ruffle feathers and succeeded.

She also appealed to the lowest common denominator of what people in Thailand's main tourist markets mainly associate with Thailand, i.e. cheap knock offs in her tweat and sleaze through her visit to the ladyboy caberet. She communicates simply and effectively with her target audience on a level they can relate to.

As for the Thai detractors, their pathetic remarks will not even be noticed by anyone overseas. They have the feudal mindset of Thai politicians and army generals. Tell whopper after whopper and order the illiterate vassals to lap it up, or at least pretend to in public, while continuing to keep them uneducated and poor. Sorry guys. That doesn't work outside Thailand as you may have noticed while attending your third rate state colleges in the US.

• Like 1

Pop diva goes Gaga for Thai 'ladies'

BANGKOK, May 25, 2012 (AFP) - Lady Gaga met Thai 'ladies' of a different kind at a transvestite cabaret show in Bangkok that had the flamboyant entertainer singing along, club management said Friday.

The 'Born This Way' star "clapped her hands and screamed" in appreciation of the performance at Calypso Cabaret, which included lip-synched versions of well-known Asian pop songs and dance routines by a troupe of extravagantly dressed 'ladyboys'.

"When she arrived, she was so friendly, she said 'Hi lady, hi lady' to our performers all the way to her seat before the show started," Nipon Boonmasuwaran, sales and marketing manager at Calypso Cabaret told AFP.

The 26-year-old singer, whose global hits include "Just Dance" and "Poker Face", wore a crop top with gold-studded epaulettes for the event in central Bangkok on Wednesday.

"When the show finished, she went up to her favourite performer and said 'you are so beautiful'," Nipon said. "We're so happy and impressed with her. She seemed very nice and not arrogant like other superstars."

Gaga, who was due to perform in Bangkok on Friday evening, has faced protests from religious hardliners in Indonesia, the Philippines and South Korea.

Jakarta police said last week they would not give a green light to her June 3 show after Islamic hardliners threatened chaos if the singer entered Indonesia, meaning she has so far been unable to obtain a permit to perform.

The promoters of the US performer's "The Born This Way Ball" show in Jakarta have sold more than 50,000 tickets, and Indonesian fans are outraged that the event might not go ahead.

Gaga also ruffled some feathers in Thailand by tweeting that "I wanna get lost in a lady market and buy fake Rolex", remarks that some Thais complained cast the kingdom in a negative light.

But there was not expected to be disruption to the sell-out Bangkok concert.

Lady Gaga will also play three shows in Singapore next week. She is due to play in Jakarta after that, before flying south to New Zealand and Australia, and then to Europe.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-05-25

What does the rest of the world think of Thailand? You seem to have your ear to the ground on this one.

Linglek, I've known two people who have recently returned to the West after having lived in Thailand for a few years each. Both downplay their work experiences in Thailand on their resumes (one lists that he taught English in "Asia") or avoid the subject altogether. Anyone who lived here for more than a year is subject to serious suspicion. I myself can see no legitimate reason for staying in the Kingdom longer than one year unless you have family, are retired or are just lazy (in my case, it's the former, though I will be moving back to the West this year and I'm quite concerned about my work ethic since I've lived here; each year seems to subtract from your competitiveness). Thailand has a complete lack of quality, meaningful work for foreigners. This leads even me to suspect any "farang" that happens to stay in the country. Most of the foreigners of I've met on various visa runs, in and around Bangkok, etc. that aren't here on holiday are not the most savory characters. They are also almost exclusively male (which is very conspicuous considering that women expats are in far higher supply relative to their male counterparts in countries such as Korea or China) with one recent exception being a fugitive ponzi schemer from the UAE who was hired by one of the schools I worked for. Also, I believe that it's estimated that some 70% of tourists visiting the Kingdom are engaged in sex tourism of one sort or another. That means one in three foreign tourists is here to see the beautiful beaches and temples.

Edited by Unkomoncents
  • Like 2

I am not sure if anger is about the fake trade. MAYBE it was the statement that she was ready to face " 50.000 THAI MONSTERS " that caused the rage.

Please try to keep up...... her fans call themselves monsters.

A fact I didn't know until earlier today, but if you read everything, you learn stuff.

• Like 1

Meanwhile in the REAL, ACTUAL Thailand

I never saw so much leg and arse until I made it over here. It's EVERYWHERE. From Hi-So to So-So to Lo-So. See through, excessively tight, short skirts and whatnot.

You need to drive with your eyes closed, to avoid being distracted, like I do

SC

I never saw so much leg and arse until I made it over here. It's EVERYWHERE. From Hi-So to So-So to Lo-So. See through, excessively tight, short skirts and whatnot.

SC

I will try that. I do practice a similar strategy when walking with my wife though. Rather than closing my eyes, though, I just stare at the ground. My friends and other Thais think I'm just a typical, anti-social, maladjusted Farang.

• Like 1

Again good post. As there is no 'official' standard transliteration from Thai to Roman script, although 'farang' is the most widely used transliteration, 'farung' is not incorrect.

Actually there is an official standard transliteration, but it's very rarely used outside of government circles because it's the one system that is least helpful in helping westerners to understand how a word is to be pronounced, apparently not designed for that purpose but to reflect whether a given syllable came from Sanskrit or Pali. . .

Why would she be admired for anything...immoral and without conscience; it does indicate what the west has become..truly decadent; she is just but one of the agents to spread this decadence. May God have mercy on you...because I would not.

<deleted>? Decadence? What are you from North Korea or something? As opposed to which non-western society that is the paragon of virtue to hold up for the world's emulation?

She is a friend's cousin, she is not immoral, she is a great showman, doing what pop stars do, shock the previous generations. I don't care for her present music that much, even though it fits the market perfectly, but I certainly admire her fearless chutspa.

Erm, that's "chutzpah".

Seriously ! the Manhattan project and the ISS would never had happened without Thailand...

Most interesting, details please, or at least links.

SC

I will try that. I do practice a similar strategy when walking with my wife though. Rather than closing my eyes, though, I just stare at the ground. My friends and other Thais think I'm just a typical, anti-social, maladjusted Farang.

No wonder you never saw me nodding, and smiling, and waving and offering you my business card when we passed in carrefour, then.

At first I thought perhaps you were lost in thought, so I didn't grab you by the shoulder and shake you, for fear of disturbing your chain of contemplation...

SC

SC

You might be surprised to find out what they are really thinking instead of writing their script your self. But don't be surprised if Cesar Millan shows up at your door.

if she had thrown a custard pie in someones face instead of a sarcastic quip the thais would have thought it hilarious !

Only if accompanied by the boinging-spring sound effect and a hundred juveniles in the audience screaming.

I guess you don't share our subtle sense of humour, then?

I should post a youtube clip from Tizwaz, the epitome of dry, subtle British humour, but I can;t access at the moment...

SC

What a wonderful country this is, yes. Now if they'd pick up on the clue from GaGa and start wearing Angus beef, Thailand would quickly become the host of the most excellent BBQ-parties in the world. Talk about a tourist attraction.

• Like 1

How can you have 'excessively tight'?

That's the sort of thing the late Mary Whitehouse might have said...

Some thais might be upset about Gaga, but it seems, its nothing compared to the thaivisa members,

who got really upset about the thais who got upset.

Guys, you have too much times on your hands, how can you be so upset about the thais all the time??

Give them a break...

Edited by ayayay

How can you have 'excessively tight'?

That's the sort of thing the late Mary Whitehouse might have said...

I certainly cannot, but, y'know, I'm not the one parroting the nation building slogans.

I like it just the way it is. But, sadly, I know what's right...

Edited by xthAi76s

What a wonderful country this is, yes. Now if they'd pick up on the clue from GaGa and start wearing Angus beef, Thailand would quickly become the host of the most excellent BBQ-parties in the world. Talk about a tourist attraction.

G_d, yes. Angus beef. I mean, good Angus beef; not the Thai Agnus beef from 130 year-old sickly soi cows that is nearly impossible to chew.