Two Questions About Old Personal Messages

1. Once you open your list of old messages, is there are way to search for any messages from a particular member (other than scrolling through them all)?

2. Scrolling towards the end of my pages of messages I see that many are marked "deleted". I don't recall deleting them, and when you click on them you can still read them (well, I have only tried this with a few anyway). What is this about? Do I need to save old messages on my computer to retain them long-term?

Edited by ThailandInvestmentGuide

2. Scrolling towards the end of my pages of messages I see that many are marked "deleted". I don't recall deleting them, and when you click on them you can still read them (well, I have only tried this with a few anyway). What is this about? Do I need to save old messages on my computer to retain them long-term?

That question came up recently and I ran a test between two, non privileged (normal member) test accounts. If you look at the PM system as an INBOX and OUTBOX type system, the person who sends the PM will have a copy in his OUTBOX and the receiver will have a copy in his INBOX. If the person who sends the PM deletes the conversation at his end it will just delete his INBOX and OUTBOX data for that PM conversation and the receiver will see a DELETE but the receiver's INBOX & OUTBOX for that conversation will remain untouched. This is a simplistic view but a fairly clear explanation of what is happening.